Thread: Sewing your own training pants

Default Sewing your own training pants

So, I've been thinking of sewing my own trainers. I'm pretty handy with a sewing machine. So my concept would start off with a pair of briefs, using some fabric to stuff the area (Could even be a stuffer from an adult diaper company for absorption) and then topping it off with microfleece or some other type of soft fabric.

Any comments? I'm trying to see if anyone else has done this before.

I mainly want to have these as an alternative to bambinos not for absorption, but for the comfort of the padding. Maybe even later getting to make them from scratch.

I would think the end product would be better if you made a pattern from a pair of underwear rather than trying to sew material onto a pair. Or better yet found a pattern for cloth training pants.

In my search for adult cloth diaper related items I found a great pair of cotton, multi-layer training pants with snap sides. I always loved the soft padded feel of these, and at times wore them as a super booster/liner under disposable adult diapers with plastic pants.

In the distant past, I made several "training pants" using the method you first described (using a pair of briefs and sewing in an absorbent lining). I used seven layers of thick flannel (sewn with a Viking Husquvarna) the results were quite satisfactory. Since then I have made multi-layer, hourglass shaped, flannel diaper boosters/liners that (I still use at times) under adult disposable diapers with plastic pants. this is a close as I come to using cloth diapers. With these I get the wet cloth feel I remember from my baby years.

Quote Originally Posted by Diapered Rabbit View Post
    In my search for adult cloth diaper related items I found a great pair of cotton, multi-layer training pants with snap sides. I always loved the soft padded feel of these, and at times wore them as a super booster/liner under disposable adult diapers with plastic pants.
    Do you remember where you found them? I'm definitely interested in them or something similar.

There is one bad thing about adding alot of layers to the center they take forever to dry, so use some type of poly cotton blend instead of just cotton.

I have a few velcrow closeing cloth diaper with a heavy cotton padded center section and even on a very warm day in the sun they are still damp when I take them off the clothsline, same thing in the dryer everything else is dry and these are still damp.