Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Age Grouping

Default Age Grouping

Have you ever felt slighted because of your age? Were you ever too old or too young (or looked the part) and were shunned or kept out of participating in a certain group? How did you feel about it?
    I feel subconscious about my age. This being my first year outside the 18-25 grouping I've felt ostracized from my similarly aged peers and mentally with people younger than me, but not looking the part. I've been personally asked to leave a GLBT group due to my age (learned the term 'chicken hawk' that week ) and constantly feel left out just because I'm older. Have any of you felt similar? Should I feel this way or learn to accept it?

i hated when i was too big to play in the play place and McD's. and when ever i see new kids in the neighborhood i think; new friends! but then realized they way to young . i might be 23 but i still feel young, and it sucks when i can't going running into a playground to go play. cartoons are another thing, my step dad always pokin' fun at me for watching them, so i stopped watching most of them.

My dad is over 50 and still watches cartoons. if your stepdad is trying to be mean I would have a word with him about personal preferences in entertainment.

Granted they were stoned at the time, but my roommates in college use to love to watch Teletubbies. Now that was a freak thing to see.

When i was 12 or 13 there wasn't many kids in the area I grew up in (90's yuppie gated community...) so my only friend was a 9 or 10 year old across the way from me. My father yelled at me saying "don't you think it's a bit weird for you to be hanging out with someone 'x' amount of years younger than you?" (i.e. stop hanging out with him).

Quote Originally Posted by khaymen View Post
    My dad is over 50 and still watches cartoons. if your stepdad is trying to be mean I would have a word with him about personal preferences in entertainment.

Granted they were stoned at the time, but my roommates in college use to love to watch Teletubbies. Now that was a freak thing to see.
    well he only says it half jokingly, but it still makes me think. i've been trying to watch more though, out of rebellion or cause i stopped caring as much.

Yea it sucks to be on the high side of age discrimination. I've very few real world issues with it and most of my internet experiences including here at the ADSIC have been good. Occasionally someone posts about "creepy 50 year olds" and it hurts.

Getting older and older tends to ostracize one from the rest of younger society. That said, I find I get along with all ages. I think it's a personality thing. At work, a lot of our teachers are younger, but they and I get along quite well. I keep them amused, and they respect me. I also get along well with our students, junior high age. In fact, there's a sixth grader who likes me to walk with him from lunch to his next class, and lots of the kids say high to me in the halls. I think it's all in one's attitude. If you meet people half way, they'll meet you.

As for chicken hawks, I new that term when I was in college. People are so paranoid that it becomes ridiculous. Even the Bible groups children with old men...young men shall prophesize, and old men will dream dreams. Typically, children love their grandparents, and that relationship is a special one. We have our stories from our past, and they have a passion for learning about the world and how it once was. I enjoy sharing with the kids at our school, and they love my stories.

The barrier of age can be broken by caring about others who may be significantly different in age.

Reminds me of when I was younger and was almost too old to be playing at the playplace in the burger king. I hadn't played in it for a while but it was a friend's birthday and seeing how he was 3 years younger than me he could still play in the playplace without any weird looks. I on the other hand was getting a lot of weird looks from the other older people in the BK. It didn't help that I've always been very tall for my age. Even at the age of 16 I still find it easy to play with younger kids.

Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    I feel subconscious about my age.
    (Emphasis mine)
    This is not the word you're looking for, as you are discussing this very topic here.

I'm about the enter that lovely period of not being a teenage boy.

This country (and probably everyone else's) has a serious issue with young males, like we're all going to knife pensioners or something. I hate the backhanded compliments too:
    On my paper round a woman told me how great it was that I had a job, unlike most kids my age (at the time).
    Playing at a brass band concert in a church, the minister told the audience how nice it was to see young people doing something good, "not all young people are bad", making reference to something horrible in the day's news.
    A woman complimenting me on my speaking voice (no really! This was in Lancashire though), "much better than most teenage boys who just grunt".

All nice at the time, but looking back I feel patronised (that is, of course, when you talk down to somebody).

Although now I guess I'm classified as a student, and a lot of people hate students.
    But I'm surrounded by students so I don't feel that prejudice.