Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job Resume?

Default Job Resume?

Hey I need some help here. When creating a resume, what should be on it? On mine right now I have Qualifications and Past Work Experience and Education. Is there anything else that should be on there, like skills or something?

Sometimes a cover letter does well to lead into your resume and may help it stand out, but it depends on the job. Also, what helped me land my job was correctly wording (overemphasizing) my previous jobs making them sound more grandeur than they were.

As someone who does interviews as part of my job (I do about a half-dozen interviews weekly) I'll give you some pointers here.

1. For the love of all that is holy, keep it to ONE page and one page only, I truly hate to see multi page resumes. Interviewer's are generally very busy people and like to keep things quick and to the point.

2. You should have your contact information on top of the page. It must include your name, address, phone number AND e-mail

3. A word about e-mail addresses: It needs to at least be a normal, somewhat professional e-mail address. If your normal e-mail is not like this, create one through yahoo, gmail, hotmail, etc. The email address you put is important to an interviewer, it essentially should be your name, or a professional variant thereof, say first name and last initial, first initial and last name, full name, or adding a few numbers afterwards, if your desired email addresses without numbers are already used. For example, one person's resume had something like [email protected]"insertemailserver.com". I never met the person, that resume went straight into the shredder.

4. List your work and education experiences separately, work experiences first. I understand that you are a teenager and probably don't have a lot of work experience, that's OK, list what you have, a brief description of your duties, dates of service and your supervisors name. You SHOULD list both the employer and the location of said employer.

It should be listed as such, here's an example:

Okemo Mountain Resort; Ludlow, VT - Ski Instructor November 1999-April 2005: Supervisor - "Insert Name Here" Taught skiing to children ages 4-12. I taught both beginner and advanced groups and also for two years coached the Junior Freestyle Ski Team.
    -That's it, I don't look for a lot.

Also, feel free to list some volunteer things you've done, like me, I volunteered at a school for special needs children and a few other things.

5. List your educational experiences. I'm guessing you're in high school and that's fine. You should list your GPA. I know most high schools give you a numerical average between 0-100, however colleges in the USA use GPA. Keep in mind most interviewers are most likely college educated and are used to seeing GPA versus average. It's easy to convert a numerical average into GPA, in the USA, a GPA is a score between 0-4.

4=A average or 90%
    3=B average or 80%
    2=C average or 70%
    1=D or failing... you don't want a 1

For example, my high school average was 88%, I would convert this into a 3.8 GPA, quite good if I don't say so myself

6. List your extra-curricular activites

7. Also, as silly as it sounds, list a few of your "outside of work" interests. Interviewers like to get a real picture of the person they are about to interview.

8. Personal references are generally unnecessary. Everyone knows three people that they know on a personal basis that will give them a good reference, I think they are useless and I never call them.

9. Make sure it is well written, I recommend reading Strunk & Whites "The Element's of Style" it helps everyone with their writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    As someone who does interviews as part of my job (I do about a half-dozen interviews weekly) I'll give you some pointers here.

1. For the love of all that is holy, keep it to ONE page and one page only, I truly hate to see multi page resumes. Interviewer's are generally very busy people and like to keep things quick and to the point.

2. You should have your contact information on top of the page. It must include your name, address, phone number AND e-mail

3. A word about e-mail addresses: It needs to at least be a normal, somewhat professional e-mail address. If your normal e-mail is not like this, create one through yahoo, gmail, hotmail, etc. The email address you put is important to an interviewer, it essentially should be your name, or a professional variant thereof, say first name and last initial, first initial and last name, full name, or adding a few numbers afterwards, if your desired email addresses without numbers are already used. For example, one person's resume had something like [email protected]"insertemailserver.com". I never met the person, that resume went straight into the shredder.

4. List your work and education experiences separately, work experiences first. I understand that you are a teenager and probably don't have a lot of work experience, that's OK, list what you have, a brief description of your duties, dates of service and your supervisors name. You SHOULD list both the employer and the location of said employer.

It should be listed as such, here's an example:

Okemo Mountain Resort; Ludlow, VT - Ski Instructor November 1999-April 2005: Supervisor - "Insert Name Here" Taught skiing to children ages 4-12. I taught both beginner and advanced groups and also for two years coached the Junior Freestyle Ski Team.
    -That's it, I don't look for a lot.

Also, feel free to list some volunteer things you've done, like me, I volunteered at a school for special needs children and a few other things.

5. List your educational experiences. I'm guessing you're in high school and that's fine. You should list your GPA. I know most high schools give you a numerical average between 0-100, however colleges in the USA use GPA. Keep in mind most interviewers are most likely college educated and are used to seeing GPA versus average. It's easy to convert a numerical average into GPA, in the USA, a GPA is a score between 0-4.

4=A average or 90%
    3=B average or 80%
    2=C average or 70%
    1=D or failing... you don't want a 1

For example, my high school average was 88%, I would convert this into a 3.8 GPA, quite good if I don't say so myself

6. List your extra-curricular activites

7. Also, as silly as it sounds, list a few of your "outside of work" interests. Interviewers like to get a real picture of the person they are about to interview.

8. Personal references are generally unnecessary. Everyone knows three people that they know on a personal basis that will give them a good reference, I think they are useless and I never call them.

9. Make sure it is well written, I recommend reading Strunk & Whites "The Element's of Style" it helps everyone with their writing.

Wow, thank you for this! I live in Michigan and as you know it is not the best place to be looking for work. Just last week, the local best buy was hiring 4 workers, and there were a total of 10,000 that turned up for the opening(kind of resembled a picture of the great depression). Anyway, thank you for this. My online business just doesn't make anywhere near enough to buy me gas.

How am I to fit all of these things you mentioned onto one sheet of paper, my prior job experiences take up 3/4 of a page, should I cut out a lot of the words?

Yeah, cut out a bit, make each entry one or two sentences long, however if some of them are very similar, you can put them in for the same entry, if that makes any sense.

Don't forget to dress your best for an interview. Don't come in looking scraggly looking, dress sharp like suit and tie (don't forget to tuck in that dress shirt and no ties half mast), or if you dress casual then wear a golfshirt and khaki pants and a nice pair of dress shoes (make sure they match belt or whatever pants you may be wearing). *NeveR wear JEANS sandals or sneakers to an Interview!* Look presentable, I'd keep any tattoos covered and I'd lose any overly visible piercings for the interview, also have everything ready to be viewed, cover letter/resume, firm handshake, etc. (and do have a pen). If your hair is incredibly long then pull it back into a ponytail, and be clean shaven if you're not (unless you keep whatever facial hair you do have well-groomed, otherwise cut it off). In short: Look your best for an interview, be EarLy if not on time, and have all that you need ready. Leave yourself with plenty of time to get to where you need to be for an interview and know how long it's going to take you to get there.

In addition to having a good coverletter and resume, a good well-dressed appearance means just as much when it comes to getting the job. I hope this helps. Also in case Ace hasn't listed this: Along with your contact information at the top of your page, don't forget to include at the bottom of your contact information what your objective is: ie desired purpose and/or desired job position you hope to acquire while working or if hired to work for whatever company you're interviewing for. Example: If I'm interviewing for an internship I'd list Objective: Working as an intern at *insert company or organization here*

If a business or art studio then: Objective: Working at *insert Business or name of company of Art Studio here* (and if you have a desired position then list it as working for *insert Company here* as a *desired position here*).

Make your objective short, simple, and to the point. Don't lie about ANY information you put on your resume. Hope this helps you and wish you all the best with your desired jobs.

OOOHHH... forgot about the objective part, that's also EXTREMELY important. Not only does it say to the interviewer what you are looking for, it also says to them that you specially prepared this for this specific interview and that you have done at least a modicum of research about the position at hand. Personally, I like to see the Objective portion at the top, but as long as it's there, I won't judge.

A hint for good clothing is to check your local second hand store. I got my suit at a place called Savers for $24.99 and it looked great on me. High end Italian shoes were another $24 I think and the button shirt and tie I got from Target.

Most importantly, although this will put you in the absolute minority of people, do not exaggerate or lie on your résumé.

When I was doing panel interviews for a technical position, I got really fed up of people saying they were "SCO ACE" certified and "CCNP" certified, and unable to answer a question about UINX filesystems or simple networking.

There were two candidates who absolutely lied outright, were caught, and then said that's what their technical school said they WOULD learn... I walked out on those two interviews, as my time wasn't respected.

"I don't value your time, and think you're an idiot who won't catch this" are bad messages to send to an interviewer. So. DO NOT LIE on your résumé.