Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage vs Modern

Default Vintage vs Modern

Here's something I don't get. Why are the diapers of today smaller than vintage diapers? I just got a pack of year 2000 Huggies; a side by side comparison with the modern version reveals a massive difference in size. These 2000 Huggies fit me with no modification. Granted, I'm a smaller person, but the new Huggies 6 don't fit at all. The 2000 Huggies are also bigger than Pampers Size 7, and nearly the size of my Benetton Size 6s, the biggest baby diaper ever made.

So, why are modern diapers smaller? It's not like kids are shrinking. On the contrary, most babies are fuggin' fat asses. Where's the logic?

Because by raising the size numbers (which cost more per package) and lowering the size, diaper companies make more money from parents who choose to use disposables.

Modern diapers are also stretchier than vintage diaper. I think the general public also prefers that their babies/toddlers have better freedom of movement.

Seems to me that diaper companys want to keep there coustomers guessing, so if you used a certian size diaper in the past and you buy it again thinking it was the same and it is now smaller you need to buy another pack in a larger size, thye know your not going to return the pack you opened.

Just a guess

I noticed the baby diapers today are much like the adult disposable underwear, very cloth like and not the crinkly diapers of the 80s and early 90s. I remember having to wear diapers when I was five and six years old and the noise made it obvious. I got two nephews ages 4 and 5 that wear Huggies diapers at night and you can't even really tell they are wearing them. I am too big to fit into baby and toddler diapers so I haven't really looked at all the brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Possibly Insane View Post
    Here's something I don't get. Why are the diapers of today smaller than vintage diapers? I just got a pack of year 2000 Huggies; a side by side comparison with the modern version reveals a massive difference in size. These 2000 Huggies fit me with no modification. Granted, I'm a smaller person, but the new Huggies 6 don't fit at all. The 2000 Huggies are also bigger than Pampers Size 7, and nearly the size of my Benetton Size 6s, the biggest baby diaper ever made.

So, why are modern diapers smaller? It's not like kids are shrinking. On the contrary, most babies are fuggin' fat asses. Where's the logic?
    Are you sure they are bigger? I'd like to see some side by side pics if you have them...?

-Gus

Quote Originally Posted by Angusmac View Post
    Are you sure they are bigger? I'd like to see some side by side pics if you have them...?

-Gus
    www.deek--oh, never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by barkd74 View Post
    I think the general public also prefers that their babies/toddlers have better freedom of movement.
    the last thing you want a toddler having is freedom of movement.

less material + higher prices = more profit

It is sort of like when they used to build cars out of metal, and you could buy a new one for $3000. Now you get one made of plastic for $20,000

I imagine in the future diapers will look like thongs, and cost $100 per pack