Thread: A resource to all who wish to learn C++.

Lightbulb A resource to all who wish to learn C++.

Hi, all. Tyrolva here. If you're reading this, then I'd imagine you'd want to learn C++. I decided to post this topic because there would be some of us that wouldn't want to spend money on a book that might use all manner of techie jargon and thus be tricky to understand. I was on YouTube one day, searching for how to make virtual functions virtual (you'll learn this later, don't worry about it for now), when I found a video that I found to explain things much better than my book did.

I thought there would be some people here on ADISC that were interested in C++ programming, so I thought I'd share the series of C++ tutorial videos that this person made. (They're all about two-to-three minutes long, so you can fit them in your lunch break. )

Make sure to watch the videos in order, you should be able to find them under "More videos from xoaxdotnet":

YouTube - C++ Console Lesson 1: Creating a Console Application 2008

Note: These tutorials require a C++ compiler in order to work, you can download a free compiler here

Also, I decided to link to an earlier version of the book I have. In case anybody is interested, click here

If anybody needs any help and you're not ahead of me: I'd be willing to share what I know.
    Last edited by Tyrlova; 27-Jan-2010 at 23:33. Reason: Grammar and additional info.

thank you! thank you! thank you!

Me and a few friends have been trying to learn C++ and were looking at a $1000 program. you just saved me a lot of money.

Should I learn java before attempting C++?

Edit: is there a mac os x version for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Thisusernamewontfi View Post

Me and a few friends have been trying to learn C++ and were looking at a $1000 program. you just saved me a lot of money.

OS X should have g++ installed iirc.

For Linux users reading this, Linux will definitely have gcc (for C) installed, and depending on your distro, might have g++ installed. If it doesn't, it's definitely in your package manager.

Learning C++ first will make learning Java easier. For some (but not all) people the inverse is also true. Java spares you some of the lower level details (such as pointers, memory management, operator overloading)

Honestly, I believe you take two approaches with learning more than one language:

Easy to hard, in which the difficulty builds up but you are depending on a smooth learning curve.

Or

Hard to easy, in which you're tackling the harder languages first so that the rest are easy.

I personally prefer Hard to easy. I don't like depending on a leaning curve that gets rocky as things move on.
    One will thing I will say though is do not learn C first. This is because C++ is updated from C, and will
    just teach you bad habits that you will need to work out of your system when you go to learn C++.

To my knowledge, C++ is kind of a kingpin when it comes to making the language easier. You can either learn it
    first to get the hard stuff out of the way (making other languages easier), or you can hold off until you learn the
    easier stuff.

I'm learning C++, I've read tutorials about the basic theory, such as functions, pointers (probably the beginner's hardest part!), etc. I just need to practice now.

Learning C++ is a long and hard adventure! But it's amazing what you can build afterwards!

Tenderheart

here is mit complete open courses on ece and computer science
    http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrical...ence/index.htm

btw gcc isn't always installed by default. In ubuntu sudo aptitude build-essential will install what you need
    Last edited by Tenderheart; 28-Jan-2010 at 05:21.

I took C++ as an elective in college, I had trouble understanding it, but it made learning JAVA, FLASH, HTML, BASIC and PERL a hell of a lot easier. For me its like learning Algebra, a necessary evil but helpful in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisusernamewontfi View Post

If your on a mac, I'd recommend learning C, or objective C. I'm currently using Become an xCoder to learn, which is very well written, and best of all free!