Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new cow

Smile My new cow

I just got a new cow over the weekend, and took a couple of pics of her.

No name yet, we'll see what her personality is like before we give her a name.
    She's a Dexter cow. That's a breed of cow that is on the small side, about 800 lbs. max weight.
    She's two yrs. old, which is pretty much full grown for a cow, and next year she will be able to have a calf. Bring on the milk, mooo.

Wow!

Very nice. Hope you find a pretty name for her.

And here I was, thinking that you had somehow brainwashed convinced Pojo that a field in Canada would be a fun place to be! Is she going to be just for milk, or will there be steaks involved at any point?

Sooooo lucky.

I dream about having a produce garden and some livestock someday.

Im jealous, id like to own a cow

Won't mind not having to take care of it though =P

pamperchu

Steaks for everyone, or is this a pet?

....You captured Moo? He's not gunna be happy when he figured out what happened...

D'oh.

Should have known that this "free grass for life" deal had some kind of catch.

Ugh, I'd never get a cow agian. Not after that brama. Should of shot the damn thing.

I lye I might get another but I doubt it. My next farm animal might be a Chicken Since my last were eaten by foxes. and some more ducks. Since some coyotes got them. Need to build Coop, And Repair my fences Before we do anything since we got our deer sheep.

Plus I need to get more hay and sweet feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Snap View Post
    And here I was, thinking that you had somehow brainwashed convinced Pojo that a field in Canada would be a fun place to be! Is she going to be just for milk, or will there be steaks involved at any point?

Quote Originally Posted by pamperchu View Post
    Steaks for everyone, or is this a pet?
    A field in Canada is a very good place to be. Especially here where we are not having winter, what a difference from last year, average January temperature this year is 7.1 C. The previous record is 6.2 C for Jan.

She is for milk, but since you have to have a calf in order to get milk, we are going to breed her to a beef type, and the calves will be steaks in about 2.5 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishyTushy View Post
    Im jealous, id like to own a cow

Won't mind not having to take care of it though =P
    Cows are easy to take care of, just access to fresh water and grass, it's the daily milking part that takes time. Beef cattle pretty much look after themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
    ....You captured Moo? He's not gunna be happy when he figured out what happened...
    I don't see why not....it's a pretty sweet deal, lots of grass, hay, grain, fresh water, protection from predators and nice barn for shelter from the elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo View Post
    D'oh.

Should have known that this "free grass for life" deal had some kind of catch.
    No catch for this cow, she is going to be around for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
    Sooooo lucky.

I dream about having a produce garden and some livestock someday.
    Not luck...hard work. If you want it...do it. Start small, just some veggies, in pots if you have no ground to grow in.
    When I lived in a townhouse I took over all the gardening around my unit, it looked so nice the management complained to me that my place looked way better than the rest of the complex. I told them to get off their buts and take better care of the rest because they wouldn't ever tell me to let it get run down.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerye View Post
    Ugh, I'd never get a cow agian. Not after that brama. Should of shot the damn thing.

I lye I might get another but I doubt it. My next farm animal might be a Chicken Since my last were eaten by foxes. and some more ducks. Since some coyotes got them. Need to build Coop, And Repair my fences Before we do anything since we got our deer sheep.

Plus I need to get more hay and sweet feed.
    I've never had a Brama, just some Holstiens, Jerseys, and now a Dexter. I'm moving down in size of cows.
    I have about 150 chickens and 40 Muskovie Ducks. These are also known as tree ducks and they are very quiet as they don't quack. They just have a kind of low hiss.
    Repairing fences seems to be neverending. I have about 3km of fence to look after.
    Damb Coyotes, there's one animal I could do without.