Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: App. Coders

Default App. Coders

Alright, how many of you here are app. coders or know even the slightest of how to build an itouch/iphone app.?

I have a very (very!) vague knowledge of objective C, but the fruits of my labour so far is an application with 2 buttons - when you press 1, it prints the number '0', and the other '5'.

I'm learning, slowly. The one thing I've never really understood is arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by thanksforallthefish View Post
    I have a very (very!) vague knowledge of objective C, but the fruits of my labour so far is an application with 2 buttons - when you press 1, it prints the number '0', and the other '5'.

I'm learning, slowly. The one thing I've never really understood is arguments.
    Where are you learning to program? I am using appsamuck.com and it is sort of instructional.

You need a Mac, $99 a year to Apple, and at that point I lost interest.

Peachy

Since this thread is about computer-related stuff (and let's face it...your cell phone/music player is nothing but a small computer), I've moved it to Computer&Games

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    Where are you learning to program? I am using appsamuck.com and it is sort of instructional.
    You really need to be quite confident in objective C before you move on to Cocoa/Cocoa iphone development. For this, I'm using BecomeAnXcoder | CocoaLab. Unless you actually know what you are putting in when you build the apps on that appsamuck site, it seems pretty useless.

@Dreamaker you can use the simulator without the yearly subscription, which works for basic apps.

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    So, wait...you need to have a mac to make any apps???

Yes, you have to buy a Mac to create iPhone applications.

Although, if I recall correctly, Flash CS5 will allow you to create iPhone applications on any platform. Of course, Flash costs around $700; barring your opinions on piracy.

Yeah, I thought about making some apps for the iPhone (even though I have no idea how), and then I saw you need a Mac, so that turned me off there. If you're planning on making money, you need $99 to pay to Apple for a paid app (you don't have to pay them for free apps). I'm not sure on a yearly pay, but yeah. You get 70% of the money for each app that people buy, so assuming your app will be $.99, it will take a little more than 100 purchased to break even. If you want to stand a chance in the app market though, you'll need something either popular, but better, or original. You could try to follow trends too (like gun apps were popular at one point, etc).

You definitely need a mac to write iPhone applications, and even if you used flash, for several reasons:

Mac and iPhone apps are written in a different programming language to windows (objective C on the mac compared to (I think) c++). A special compiler (the thing that turns code into programs) would be needed which is not available on the PC.

The tools needed to make GUIs are entirely mac native apps. There's no replacement for them on the PC.

And I believe the mac version of iTunes features speacial app management tools, not biult in to the PC version (I'm not sure about that though, might be a website).

It's $99 a year, to release new applications and updates (ie your old ones aren't taken down if you decide not to resubscribe). Apple also takes 30% of sales, and the rest is yours. There are no charges for free apps.