Thread: Cuteness

Default Cuteness

This is a post I made on tbn about five years ago...but for some reason I thought about it today, and I was curious to see what the reaction here would be.

I was kind of thinking about stuff and I was intrigued by the whole idea of “cuteness”. Whether we like to admit it or not, everybody finds something cute. I mean, be it furry little animals, babies, objects, designs, or even actions, people often talk about things being cute. Hell, even now it’s used along with ideas of people being attractive or hot or something…a lot of times girls call boys cute as a sign of being attracted to them, and guys do the same with girls.

So I was thinking…why do we find things cute, and why is it a good thing? What’s appealing about something or someone being cute?

I guess a lot of it comes down to innocence. When you find someone, like an animal or a baby, oftentimes it’s cute because it’s good hearted and has no harm or evil in it. Even if it’s just because they don’t understand, they don’t really do anything with bad intentions. And I think we find that appealing.

And maybe some of it is our own pride. We may get joy out of our knowledge over a baby or animal who doesn’t understand stuff. We like how they can get joy or sorrow from such simplicity, because they don’t understand the things we do. Or maybe because we’re in control, and we take pity, and we like that…I don’t know, I’m just throwing out ideas here.

So I guess I’ll ask everyone…what do you find cute? Whether you feel silly or not, what just makes you like something so much just because it’s simply so cute?

I’m also interested in why people find other people they’re attracted to to be “cute”. How is it different than “attractive” or “hot” or “sexy”?

For me, I don’t find real babies cute, but I do find some little kids to be cute (for some reason, boys often strike me as cuter than girls…I think just because it seems more natural for girls to be cute, and they kind of keep it as they grow up, whereas boys don’t, at least to me). I also find Precious Moments babies in drawings to be cute for whatever reason…I don’t know why, a lot of people find them weird or creepy. Just about any furry baby animal (and oftentimes some grown ones) I find very cute as well.

Being an AB, I also really like the idea of being cute myself. It’s one of those things that I hate but also love at the same time. I guess it depends on who’s calling me cute, too...when an old lady does I hate it but when a pretty girl does it’s really cool. It’s also confusing to me because I’ve heard girls call my physical features cute (though I can’t ever rememeber being called “hot” or “sexy”), and other times they’ve found my actions cute…like in a little kid way. Even though it can be embarrassing, I really like that idea…it’s like a guilty pleasure.

Also, it gets under my skin when a math or science teacher calls a little trick or method “cute”. I don’t know why, but that bothers me so much…it’s like, it just doesn’t fit at all to me. Sometimes it happens when someone calls a joke cute too.

So what about you guys? What’s your take on all of this?

Also, it gets under my skin when a math or science teacher calls a little trick or method “cute”. I don’t know why, but that bothers me so much…it’s like, it just doesn’t fit at all to me. Sometimes it happens when someone calls a joke cute too.
    In Ireland, cute means clever or astute as well as its more well known meaning. I haven't really head the word used in this sense elsewhere, but I'm pretty sure it is a standard meaning. This could be what your maths teacher is referring to.

I often wonder about 'cute' in the domestication of animals. I wonder if the cuteness of an animal would have been a factor in its domestication as well as its utility. People often seem to be very attracted to cute baby animals and find them appealing: I often wonder if this is part of the reason they were domesticated or if finding them cute is a buy-product of their domestication. Certainly, with modernly domesticated animals like hamsters their cuteness is one of the main reasons they were domesticated.

LilpawsGHuskypup

VERY interesting query! This shall be fun to discuss!

The Thesaurus defines cute as: "attractive especially by means of smallness or prettiness or quaintness".
    Other definitions says: "Something attractive and appealing to the eye".
    "Pretty or attractive, often in a youthful, childish or delicate way".

Translating the swedish dictionaries definition of "Söt/gullig" (cute):
    "as a soft, warm, beautiful and innocent manner, providing emotional well-being".
    This later one I find pretty accurate to my own definition of cute, however; the top ones play a role too.

I guess a lot of it comes down to innocence. When you find someone, like an animal or a baby, oftentimes it’s cute because it’s good hearted and has no harm or evil in it. Even if it’s just because they don’t understand, they don’t really do anything with bad intentions. And I think we find that appealing.
    There you have it. I think that is an excellent point and a very accurate definition to why we find things cute!
    Cuteness is something that give raise to sense impressions of emotional well-being and innocence I'd add.

When it comes down to cuteness in material, such as soft stuff like stuffed animals, I think it goes under the same definitions as above, plus that it varies from person to person and their relation to a specific object.
    Different people find different things cute, so I think it has to do something with each and every individual.

Colors may play a role when it comes to cuteness as well. It's known that different colors give various sensory impressions.
    Blue and pink are warm colors, commonly used as clothing on younger individuals for example and decoration in daycares. They both give a harmless impression. Thus, things having these colors might be found as cute.

Black is a dark color. It might be a symbol for the unknown which we can't see (referring to human ability to read her surroundings with her eyes).

White, commonly used in hospitals, is a color that gives little sensory impressions. Being used in hospitals for that matter, to avoid sensory impressions on patients.

I'm just speculating here. Of course, the impressions might be different from individual to individual.
    For instance, there are people who think, "Cute is ugly."

Cuteness might also be a form of regression, with cuteness giving a feeling of innocence.
    ---------------------
    Personally, I find various things cute. Baby animals, anthropomorphic baby animals, certain cartoon characters, stuffed animals, certain behavior... The list is long.
    Not only small things are cute to me, it varies.
    For example, Huskies are one of the few species of dogs that I find cute both as puppies and grown ups. While I find G-Retrievers being the most when they're puppies.
    I do not always find babies cute though. I have no idea why.
    I think the ability to see something as cute is a good for the humans. It's soothing for the inner sense, mind. And soul if you like. It symbolizes caring, loving and sympathy.
    It is to me, cuteness makes me feel good and relaxed.

Can't say much about cute being used as a term synonymous to "hot" and "sexy". I'd guess it goes under the definitions above as well.

I actually HATE being called cute. I get cute ALL the time. Maybe its my personality, idk. Hell, I've gotten cute when I'm naked, doing something sexual. WHY?! The same goes for adorable. I'd much rather have sexy, or hot, or whatever else.

As for things I find cute? Kittens, puppies, rainbows, some things other people do, little kids, etc...

LilLillyKitten

Usually, stuff that is "cute" is stuff that makes me super giddy. Like, it makes me wanna bounce, and I can't stop smiling.

June

I find dogs, both adult and puppies, adorable. They're furry, loyal, friendly, and fun. I love dogs so much.

I also find many other animals cute, like cats, rabbits, foxes, beavers, and panda bears. I absolutely love animals.

As for me, I find getting called cute a compliment in most cases. I don't really appreciate getting called cute by my mom though. When girls say I'm cute, I get flattered.

But that's just me.
    Last edited by June; 23-Jan-2010 at 19:26. Reason: not what was asked

Quote Originally Posted by Rosy View Post
    In Ireland, cute means clever or astute as well as its more well known meaning. I haven't really head the word used in this sense elsewhere, but I'm pretty sure it is a standard meaning. This could be what your maths teacher is referring to.
    Yeah, that's a good explanation. But still, I would rather them say clever than cute...it just doesn't feel right.

If you want to learn why we find things cute, you should become a daily viewer of Gradual Report. youtube.com/gradualreport This man taught me more than a school ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by Geostigma123 View Post
    If you want to learn why we find things cute, you should become a daily viewer of Gradual Report. youtube.com/gradualreport This man taught me more than a school ever will.
    Ha ha....very weird. But I did find the one dealing with cuteness.

YouTube - Why are things Cute??

Interesting explanation. My guess is that there's more to it than this, but the general explanation makes sense...that we're conditioned to find certain things cute by generations of society. And that makes sense...I mean, most of us either have stuffed animals around us before we can even remember, and we're probably read books with fluffy animals to us before we can remember...not to mention TV and things.

I guess what just stands out so much to me is that I don't really find babies cute...I don't know, they just look chubby, drooly, and their lack of understanding combined with weird sounds just kind of gets on my nerves more than anything else. But it seems like every time I'm around one, everyone thinks they're the cutest things ever...and it always makes me feel out of place.

Of course, that explanation explains part of it...females tend to love babies much more than males do. Not all girls, but most girls I know are immediately drawn to ANY baby. This probably goes to back to conditioning as children...after all, most girls seem to have dolls and like to play house and things like that. One might argue that there's an evolutionary conditioned maternal instinct as well.

Guys in general don't find babies to be cute....but I feel like I find them even less cute than most guys. Part of this may be attributed to my infantilism, though.

Though I've also noticed most of the guys that I know don't like random babies...but they tend to feel an affinity for nieces and nephews. If they have that kind of strong connection, there's something that draws them to the baby more....it may be like having their own child, they feel like its their own because its in their immediate family.

And maybe that's just what I've missed out on...I've never had anyone really close to me have a baby, and maybe without that, I just don't see the appeal in them.