Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tena Slip Maxi Review

Loopygone

Default Tena Slip Maxi Review

Ok, so here is a review of Tena Slips Maxi, which I believe are only available in Europe. I ordered from Blushingbuyer a site that sells “embarrassing products”. They where pretty cheap at £15.99 for 21 large nappies. The site also sells depends, and some molicare products (but not their Super Plus range...), they also sell lots of other fun things, if you're into that :P.

Fit

I'm not a fan of the fit of these, similar to cuddlz the bottom tapes are really far up, maybe close to the top ones compared to cuddlz. This means its hard to get tight seal around the legs, making the nappy feel like its drooping constantly. They're also a little shorter then most premium brands, but whether that's a bad thing is up to the wearer. The tapes are very good through, and very sticky, just have to make sure you hit the landing zone which isn't very wide. The tapes are a little thin, which is weird, but the do hold.

Absorbency

These are pretty good in the absorbency department. They are a lot thinner then most of the other leading brands I've tried and yet they soak up just as well. I haven't worn them to destruction (leaking) but they have held up past 2 heavy wetting's. The padding does go a little hard when wet, but when soaked it swells up to normal squishiness .

Look

I don't mind the look of these, there isn't much writing other then on the taping zone, and the purple markings down the centre look kinda cool, there is a wetness indicator as well. They aren't as crinkly as other brands, the main sound coming from the front taping panel, but that's better for stealth. The worst thing is the fit through, cause when taped on they just don't look as nice and snug as a well fitting nappy should.

Overall
    A good nappy, but not the best out there. When I'm wearing out and about I'd reach for these, the fit issue goes away when worn with a pair of tight boxers/y-fronts over the top, and they're thin enough to allow me to feel less self conscious. But still, when at home I find my self reaching for other brands.
    Last edited by Loopygone; 23-Jan-2010 at 01:40. Reason: General Clean up

Always nice to show off to the yanks what they can't have, lol. On a side note, these are readily available in Australia as well, and they happen to be my favourite brand. I don't have the same problem with the fit but I wear a medium size.

EmeraldsAndLime

Quote Originally Posted by nappies4fun View Post
    Always nice to show off to the yanks what they can't have, lol. On a side note, these are readily available in Australia as well, and they happen to be my favourite brand. I don't have the same problem with the fit but I wear a medium size.
    I haven't had them in a while, but it seems to me that the mediums are designed differently. Looking at those pictures of the large, and having personally tried small, it seems only the mediums have wider tapes and a mesh-like padding.

Though this might have changed; I picked up some mediums the other day, but have yet to open the packet.

Edit: Generally good diapers though. They hold up extremely well and a way up there with other premium brands.

Elli

Yay! I am a fan of Tena Slip. I had always imagined Tena being a bit naff; until I tried them. I was wondering what Maxi - Large were like, because the shop where I buy Super - Medium also sells those and I was considering trying them.

The mediums certainly do have a soft mesh like surface to the padding. They seem to absorb and wick very well, and I've never had a leak, under sensible usage. They are also discreet enough to wear out and about.

The only other brand I've tried is Kendall Lille, and Tena far out-perform Kendall in my experience. There's a lot I like about Kendall, and I wouldn't have expected to prefer Tena, but hey, they work!

The landing zone is so high and small because of the size. I still wear the small and with that one the landing zone is no problem. Also the fitting is different for each person. Tena is perfect for me but it depends on the autonomy ofcourse ;P

EmeraldsAndLime

Quote Originally Posted by Elli View Post
    The mediums certainly do have a soft mesh like surface to the padding. They seem to absorb and wick very well, and I've never had a leak, under sensible usage. They are also discreet enough to wear out and about.
    That's another great aspect of these diapers - not once have I ever leaked from one, even under complete floodings, and no matter what position. This held true for the small size as well, which withstood a couple of decently sized wettings. I've also noticed they hold very extremely well if you sit, or otherwise put pressure on them while they're soaked. And to top it off, they actually have a damn good fit and the tapes are very strong.

Elli

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    That's another great aspect of these diapers - not once have I ever leaked from one, even under complete floodings, and no matter what position. This held true for the small size as well, which withstood a couple of decently sized wettings. I've also noticed they hold very extremely well if you sit, or otherwise put pressure on them while they're soaked. And to top it off, they actually have a damn good fit and the tapes are very strong.
    Yeah. I think they somehow soak all the pee down to the plastic, then absorb it from there, into gel. There was someone here whose name I've unfortunately forgotten who explained the physics of this, and why it would make for optimum absorption, because the liquid isn't sitting on top of the padding, and therefore not able to leak over the leg-cuffs.

The tapes really are strong, I agree! At first I thought they were very narrow and didn't expect too much from them, but no, they hold well! A couple of times I've been in a rush, yanked the tape and pulled it off. But I stuck it across where it would have been and it held. What's really cool too is that while they stick well, they can also still be re-stuck numerous times. The ability to reposition the tapes probably helps the good fit.

I'd love these for nighttime instead of my flex maxis, but annoyingley the Slips are the only line of the tena range that lloyds dont stock, and buying online is out of the question, cause i dont have a card, atm.
    I much prefer buying from real shops, theres no delivery trouble and you just pay at the till.
    I would send lloyds an email about the slips, but i dont want to lie to them about why i wear, any ideas what i should say?

My flexs are great during the day, but they move about too much at night, and the fancy liner gets slippery when wet, which can offen leave things pointing the wrong way in the morn', which doesnt boost my confidence to start sleep wetting, and has caused leaks at the front, i wouldnt have eather of these problems with slips because of there conventonal design.
    Dale.

Loopygone

Quote Originally Posted by Zowie19 View Post
    The landing zone is so high and small because of the size. I still wear the small and with that one the landing zone is no problem. Also the fitting is different for each person. Tena is perfect for me but it depends on the autonomy ofcourse ;P
    Its just annoying that they couldn't scale up the tapes/landing zone on the large size, it really isn't good . But then again they are very good nappies, its just compared to other top of the range brands they fall short, again only because of the fit. And maybe the thickness, but thats a personal opinion, I like my nappies thick . These two things do make it feel less... babyish? I guess. Like I said, perfect for out and about, but at home, I'd go for abenas or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Elli View Post
    There's a lot I like about Kendall, and I wouldn't have expected to prefer Tena, but hey, they work!
    i'm agreeing with Elli; and after the recent change to the Kendalls, i'm now using tena-slips, but with additional reasons i can't go into right now.
    strange thing about the tenas, and i think it's to do with their trimness, is that any variations from the manufacturing process are noticeable - the ones i'm using now seem a little larger than the previous pack's.