Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lubrication expiration date

Default Lubrication expiration date

So gentlemen, and ladies.

I was digging through a box of some really old stuff the other night, just cleaning some stuff out. When suddenly, I found a bottle of some KY that I completely forgot even existed... I thought I threw it away. It's that nice warm stuff that tingles when you apply.

As it turns out, there is still some stuff left in the bottle. I decided to check the expiration date for the hell of it since I bought it in like... 2005.

As it turns out, it expired late in 2007. But I'm wondering... what exactly is the point an expiration date on something like personal lubricant? Would it still be safe to use, or would someone's skin melt away with the pleasure, or some other horrific event occur?

Just curious.

Peachy

Maybe the tingling effect would wear off, but other than that, lubricant is just water and jelly - I doubt any of that stuff is an awfully good breeding ground for bacteria.

I'm always dumbstruck when I find expiration dates on water bottles. If it's fizzy water, I can understand why they put them on there, as the carbonic acid may eventually vanish (and try drinking still coke...disgusting!). But expiration dates on still water? It'S not like it's gonna get mouldy, or that you suddenly see a population of fish appearing in your water bottle.

My suggestion is: Don't use your expired lubricant with condoms, as there may have been some chemical reactions in that stuff that may cause the condom to break. If you're just using it on yourself, it should still work.

Peachy

EmeraldsAndLime

I'm thinking the chemicals in it would start to weaken and perhaps become less effective over time. That's about all I can think of... I've noticed stuff that has sat for a while before, it starts to coagulate. So you might find some blobby bits as well.

So yeah, I think the worse thing that could happen is that it's non-effective. Stuff like this is designed so that it's very safe. I mean, look at where we are applying it too! I certainly wouldn't like anything even remotely dangerous to be down there, let alone applying it on.

hiya,

Its very possible that the elements of the liquid will separate, so i would be safe and just throw it out. I think a new 3 bottle of lube is better than trying to go onto the market for a new anus / penis.

Jammie

i never new compounds spontaneously decayed after a certain amount of time. NEWS TO ME

Quote Originally Posted by handfulofoats View Post
    i never new compounds spontaneously decayed after a certain amount of time. NEWS TO ME
    They won't necessarily spontaneously decay but chemicals can and do degrade over time. Add a bit of warmth and light (although in this case the latter is not applicable) and you'll only aid any potential degradation.

It's possible, like Lukie noticed, that it may have simply dried out and turned into a weird blobby mess.

As to Jake, I don't see any harm in using slightly out of date lube on yourself, but as Peachy said, I wouldn't use it on condoms just to err on the side of safety.

Doodle

you should also considder that most lubericants are packged in a sterile enviroment and then sealde and steralized for a reason ... it could be very likely that using the expired lubericant inside you could cause an infection due to the sterility of the product being compromised

honestly i wouldn't risk it unlees you have some building toys that have hinges (ie legos) that need lube so they stop squeeking :P
    -doodle
    Last edited by Doodle; 07-Apr-2008 at 05:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    you should also considder that most luv=bericants are packged in a sterile enviroment and then sealde and steralized for a reason ... it could be very likely that using the expired lubericant inside you could cause an infection due to the sterility of the product being compromised
    lol somehow the words 'inside you' made me blush.

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Jake View Post
    lol somehow the words 'inside you' made me blush.
    I doubt lubricant makes for a good sauce to put on your dinner, or a good afternoon snack. While it's probably not going to make you sick if you happen to eat it, I would not suggest to put taht theory to the test.
    And as for other ways to get that into your body...let's not get into that here, OK?! (pardon the pun ).

Peachy

To be honest if it was me I would not use it. I just would not want to take any chances of it causing a serious rash or anything. Everytime something is expired I will always throw it out. Except maybe in the case of water like Peachy mentioned, I never even knew there was expiration on water. I geuss cause I never thought to look.