Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who else listens to music while they write?

Default Who else listens to music while they write?

K,

I am a writer and I like to listen to music while I write. I find that it helps me focus on what I am working on and it helps me think. I am not sure if it's an Asperger's related thing but I like music to help me write. I've always liked music as I write.

I was wondering, if anyone else does that too, or puts something on TV too. I do that too.

And before anyone asks, I am retired from AB stories.

WildThing121675

All the time dude. Music is a huge part of me getting into the writing zone, and when it's not on I find the silence distracting. I can't do tv cause then I feel compelled to watch, but music for sure.

Typically, I'll listen to some instrumental stuff (Petrucci, Buckethead), ambient stuff that just kinda flows (Tool, NIN) or stuff with gritty screaming so the vocals aren't getting in my head a lot (Zao if freakin perfect). But yeah, I know that a lot of people find it annoying to listen while they write, and I can see why. I'm a not a fan of listening to stuff that's gonna really grab my attention, like lyrics I can sing a long to and stuff. But with the writing I've been working on lately (next Farsight chapter out Sunday for the interested few), I've listened to Tool's 10,000 Days like a dozen times, and a lot from the album Kezia by PTH too. So yeah, music with writing is solid.

Depends what i'm writing, but I listen to music must of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Slang View Post
    All the time dude. Music is a huge part of me getting into the writing zone, and when it's not on I find the silence distracting.
    I have to have music when I write. It's required. I'm totally a fan of the above quote!

Most of the time, like you said, Slang, I can't let the words get into my head. Being that I'm focused on the words going down on the page, I can't be distracted by those that belong to anybody else!

My regular writing accompaniment involves Chopin, The Transformers original scores, B.T.'s This Binary Universe, Faure's Requiem, and so on. Being writer of what's become predominantly fantasies and westerns, battles are a huge part of my stories, so there's also got to be some good ass-kicking music in there! Hanzel Und Gretyl, KMFDM, Killswitch Engage all come into play when I get to incorporate the action.

A good questionm, WT!

I started writing a novel last year. Before that, I wrote 15-20 page short stories. I didn't require music for the short stories, but when I started the novel? Oh yeah. It became a requirement.

However, the songs I listen to during writing are altogether random. None of the styles or genres are consistent. If I hear a specific beat, it inspires a scene, as if it were background music to a movie. So when I write that scene, that song must be on repeat. Once I'm in the zone, I can't even hear the music anymore. It can play and play, and I have no idea because I'm so absorbed in whatever I'm writing.

I even use certain bands for certain characters. One of my female characters, for instance, always needs Within Temptation while my battle scenes require heavier stuff, like Rammstein. So it depends on what the need is at the time.

Music is the talisman that makes the magic happen. It's absolutely necessary.

Hell, I am listening to Jay-Z (Beach Chair- Kingdom Come) while I am writing this post. It is nice to just get into those beats while writing.

LilpawsGHuskypup

Most of the time yeah. I'm not a writer but I commonly listens to music while writing school stuff, reading books and when I'm at forums posting around like now.
    Music is truly important too me, for allot of reasons. In addition, I work better with music in the background. Silence is good at times though.
    One of classmates asked me the other day, when I was reading a book in the middle of the gathering hall (lots of people) in school with music in my ears, how I could read with music on.
    "Well, it's allot better than all this racket around me, don't you agree?" I answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawes View Post
    My regular writing accompaniment involves Chopin, The Transformers original scores, B.T.'s This Binary Universe, Faure's Requiem, and so on. Being writer of what's become predominantly fantasies and westerns, battles are a huge part of my stories, so there's also got to be some good ass-kicking music in there! Hanzel Und Gretyl, KMFDM, Killswitch Engage all come into play when I get to incorporate the action.

Oh come on now, you're writing fantasy and not listening to cheesy power metal? You get a pass on KMFDM and Hanzel Und Gretyl, but still, get some (early) Blind Guardian or Hammerfall into that mix!

---

Give me some Industrial/EBM music; I'll write you an epic.

Oh, I've done it before. I mean, there's nothing more epic than some Sonata Arctica or some Iced Earth as you're describing awesome battles. Problem I always had was, halfway through a scene, my iPod would bust into Manowar's rendition of "Flight of the Bumblebee" and I'd just need to furiously jerk off so hard at the mixture of epicness, battle, and power chords in my head that I ruined like, seventeen keyboards.

I couldn't teach myself how to control that shit, so I had to chill out. I had to calm down.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Dawes View Post
    Problem I always had was, halfway through a scene, my iPod would bust into Manowar's rendition of "Flight of the Bumblebee" and I'd just need to furiously jerk off so hard at the mixture of epicness, battle, and power chords in my head that I ruined like, seventeen keyboards.

I couldn't teach myself how to control that shit, so I had to chill out. I had to calm down.
    Ha ha ha ha - oh god, that's sooooo funny! You've made my day!

When I was at school, I would always listen to music while writing or studying. It felt like hard work if I didn't. Now, though, I just can't concentrate AT ALL if I have music on!

It's weird (and boring). I wish I could work and listen at the same time but... I guess I listen much more attentively when I do crank up the tunes! I have to say... there's no tune I know of that would make me "ruin a keyboard" though. Ha ha ha - oh I have tears coming out my eyes!