Thread: Making your own plastic pants

Default Making your own plastic pants

I am new to this site ( just found it by accident ) Any way I have bin a DL for a long time but never did much about it till last 6 or 7 years or so. I have bought my plastic pants online. But they never fit the diaper right ( the diaper came up higher than the plastic pants I had so I ended up with a wet bed in the morning. So I set out to make my own pants and this is what I came up with.
    I took an old pair of plastic pants and carefully cut them apart to use as a pattern and to reuse the elastic for the legs and waste band. Then I cut the side seems and layed it out on a flat surface and layed a bath tow over it and toke a steam iron and went over it to flatten it out now this is the pattern to cut out the plastic pants or you could use a pair of underwear as a pattern just remember to cut it at lest 3 or 4 inches larger. Now get a vinyl mattress cover from walmart and a vinyl pool repair kit. First glue the sides together and let it set over night but remember the glue has a strong oder to it. Now cut a piece of cardboard to fit tight across the openings and put the elastic over the edge about 1 1/2" and put the glue below the elastic and fold the top edge on to the glue carefully and let it set over night and it should work you might have to experiment with it to get the results you want. I used foam board instead of cardboard its more ridged, and if you don't have elastic from and old pair of plastic pants you can get it from a fabric store or walmart or kmart. Good luck with your project I hope this helps.

Very clever. Probably would not work out for me, though. Glue and I don't work together well, I end up getting it all over the place, no matter how careful I try to be neat.

angelabauer

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow1 View Post
    I am new to this site ( just found it by accident ) Any way I have bin a DL for a long time but never did much about it till last 6 or 7 years or so. I have bought my plastic pants online. But they never fit the diaper right ( the diaper came up higher than the plastic pants I had so I ended up with a wet bed in the morning. So I set out to make my own pants and this is what I came up with.
    I took an old pair of plastic pants and carefully cut them apart to use as a pattern and to reuse the elastic for the legs and waste band. Then I cut the side seems and layed it out on a flat surface and layed a bath tow over it and toke a steam iron and went over it to flatten it out now this is the pattern to cut out the plastic pants or you could use a pair of underwear as a pattern just remember to cut it at lest 3 or 4 inches larger. Now get a vinyl mattress cover from walmart and a vinyl pool repair kit. First glue the sides together and let it set over night but remember the glue has a strong oder to it. Now cut a piece of cardboard to fit tight across the openings and put the elastic over the edge about 1 1/2" and put the glue below the elastic and fold the top edge on to the glue carefully and let it set over night and it should work you might have to experiment with it to get the results you want. I used foam board instead of cardboard its more ridged, and if you don't have elastic from and old pair of plastic pants you can get it from a fabric store or walmart or kmart. Good luck with your project I hope this helps.
    Welcome to ADISC Shadow1. A tradition here is to write an introduction in the Greetings section. You might want to read the suggestions.

What a fascinating suggestion. Have you been into diapers long enough to remember that Edley Enterprises were located in NH for a long time. Not only did they make cloth diapers, they invented the Lang vinyl panties. Those were made in a variety of styles, ranging from bikini cut for folks who do not wear diapers up to extra high rise pants to cover diapers that reach to the waist. Life Style Emporium has taken over production of the Lang pants.

These days nearly all plastic pants suppliers offer many sizes and styles.

People who wear cloth diapers to bed, like me, find that plastic pants need to fit loose. They must have enough rise that the top of the pants can be tucked inside the top of the diaper. This reduces common top leaks. The leg openings need to be large enough they are not strained when you sit down and your upper thighs expand. The purpose of the elastic around the legs is to hold the leg holes closed until natural attraction caused by moisture causes the plastic to cling to your skin. Therefore you need enough plastic it will extend an inch or more beyond your diaper all around your upper thighs.

Conventionally plastic pants have the side seams welded. This is a major reason why vinyl became such a popular material for waterproof pants. Many kinds of vinyl weld easily and well.

Also conventionally the elastic is sewn to the plastic at the legs and waist. Sure it takes some practice to sew elastic to any material. Often a zig-zag stitch works best aided by an elastic attachment to the sewing machine. Factories usually keep dedicated elastic attaching machines set up.

Besides taking apart mattress covers, you can simply buy vinyl sheeting material at most fabric shops.

HI Never heard of Edley Enterprises, not from NH only lived here about 22 years but I will check out Life Styles Emporium. The main reasons I decided to make my own is I like a challenge and I'm cheap! The plastic pants I used for the pattern where made by Gary. They where the best pair I had to date but the elastic was sewn in and that was where they failed at that's why I came up with the glue idea. I had a another thought instead of glue use two face tape, may not hold as well as glue but not as messy as glue for the glue challenged!

I use Leakmaster high rise plastic pants and they work very well. You can order them from Amazon. If you're like me, you can pay a yearly up front fee of 89.00 dollars for shipping, and then everything you order for a year is shipped for free, after the $89.00 investment of course. I have a 30/32 inch waste, so I order small if that helps. That way they stay tight enough at the waste and legs.