Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Body shaving - how to make the process simpler?

Default Body shaving - how to make the process simpler?

Today, I spent about an hour shaving everything below the neck - except for the back, which I could not reach with my razors, sadly. I went through two Gilette razors and about a third of a can of shaving gel. It went smoothly up until I reached my calves (I moved from top to bottom, saving the unmentionable areas for last, though), then I started to nick myself with the blades all over the place. Ack!

I was wondering if there was any way to make this process go more smoothly?

I do plan on keeping myself shaved from this point on, though. As far as my back, I think I may just have that waxed, since I can't reach that area with a razor by myself.

I'm expecting itching galore over the next couple of days, but if I keep this up, that will go down eventually - at least, that's what I heard (and that's what I hope is the case).

Why did I do this? Because I never really liked my body hair. Heh.

Mako

I use veet to get rid off the majority of my body hair, then use a razor to clean up what it missed.

Well it sounds like you should look into getting a full body wax especially if you plan on going hairless from now on. Waxing will keep the hair off longer and shaving that much skin just isn't practical. Many salons offer this service just look around in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by babymace View Post
    Well it sounds like you should look into getting a full body wax especially if you plan on going hairless from now on. Waxing will keep the hair off longer and shaving that much skin just isn't practical. Many salons offer this service just look around in your area.
    Yeah, I thought about that, and only one thing is keeping me back from making that leap - the salons that do offer that service charge more than what I can afford for it. I'm low-income, after all.

Did you take a long bath before you shaved, it softens the hairs and makes it easyer, and if you use veet or nair make sure you cover that certain part of your body, a condom works good for this cover.

Quote Originally Posted by ballucanb View Post
    Did you take a long bath before you shaved, it softens the hairs and makes it easyer, and if you use veet or nair make sure you cover that certain part of your body, a condom works good for this cover.
    Heh, I wish I could do that. I am 6'3", and my bathtub is way too tiny for my frame. I might fit into it if I were under 5'. I suppose taking a shower beforehand would have helped. I could take a shower before to make the shaving easier and take a shower after to wash off all the shaving cream and loose hairs that have accumulated all over my body. Heh.

Mako

Quote Originally Posted by ballucanb View Post
    From personal experience I would recommend Veet over Nair. Nair is a lot harsher on your skin, and smells a lot worse.

Showering works just as well as a bath. Most women actually shave IN the shower. You need to keep the blades clean, so it makes sense to just stand under the shower and after every stroke hold the razor under the jet as well.

As for itching - unlikely on places like calfs and thighs. Groin area... much more itchy! Pubic hair for most people is much more thick and coarse, and therefor creates more itching. There's not much you can do about that, and tbh it doesn't go down after time.

Hair removal cream works well, but again isn't perfect. Make sure you do a spot test on a small patch of skin (say the inside of your elbow) to make sure you're not allergic to it, because it's quite strong stuff! If you do find you're allergic to it, then try a different brand. For example, highstreet brands here in the UK make me come out in a rash, but Boots (the chemists) own brand is fine for me - and also much much cheaper! Double bonus!

If you're having trouble shaving problem areas, make sure you trim them first, so the razor doesn't have as big a job to do, and that you've soaked your skin for sometime beforehand (shave at the END of a shower!). Use a reasonable amount of shaving foam - if the razor can't get through it or it's getting clogged up very quickly then you're using too much! Use lots of tiny little strokes, especially on problem areas like the groin and knees, but also on things like calfs and thighs. Go over it with tiny strokes two or three times for a very cllose shave, assuming this won't irritate your skin, which it shouldn't if the razor is sharp and clean and your hair was already wet before using shaving foam.

Enjoy x

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    From personal experience I would recommend Veet over Nair. Nair is a lot harsher on your skin, and smells a lot worse.

I don't think veet is sold in the US or I haven't seen where I live, and nair comes in a sensitive version that is what I have.

Philips Norelco makes this awesome product called "The Body Groom". It works great, even in the shower. Check it out....