Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Athlon vs Turion

Butterfly Mage

Default Athlon vs Turion

I'm looking to get a netbook replacement this Friday. My Dell Mini (with the Atom 1.3 GHz) sorta didn't live up to expectations, since the built-in GMA 500 video chipset is clocked at a whopping 100 MHz. I think the Dell *could* have been okay with a GMA 3100 or a GMA 4500. But as-is, It has trouble drawing menu bars, and it plays video at about six frames per second.

So, I have my eye on a 13" Toshiba as a netbook replacement. It features an ATI 3200 HD video chipset. On notebookcheck.com, the ATI 3200 rates a score of 2400, whereas the GMA 500 rates a score of 137, so I think it'll be fine as far as graphics are concerned. But my question is this: There's a $50 difference between getting a dual-core Athlon Neo 1.6 GHz and a dual-core Turion Neo 1.6 GHz. For the life of me, I've been researching for days and can't find out the difference between the two CPUs in order to determine if it's worth it to spend the extra $50. I'm not buying a powerhouse computer. I'm basically looking for a more-capable netbook.

Any thoughts?

well it would be easyer to know how much your willing to spend, also does it have to be a net book?

Butterfly Mage

Quote Originally Posted by nyah View Post
    well it would be easyer to know how much your willing to spend, also does it have to be a net book?
    $600 is my cap, as is 13.3" screen and 4 pounds. It doesn't have to be a netbook, but it does have to be small and light.

I can get a Athlon Neo machine for $549 and a Turion Neo machine for $599. Any machine with an Intel GMA will basically be too weak, since those chipsets can't play back movies at more that 6-8 frames per second.

right i see, i would recomend the athlon then its newer tecnology. what are the specs of these tops?

Butterfly Mage

Quote Originally Posted by nyah View Post
    right i see, i would recomend the athlon then its newer tecnology. what are the specs of these tops?
    The trouble is that both chips run at 1.6 GHz. The other stuff is: 13.3" screen (1366x768), 4 pounds, 4 Gb RAM, and 320 Gb Hard Drive.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between an Athlon Neo and a Turion Neo is that the Athlon has a 512kb cache and the Turion Neo has a 1024kb cache.

The ATI 3200 HD video chipset produces a Windows score of 3.2. My current netbook generates a 1.0 score.

So... I suppose the question is: how much difference does the size of the on-die cache make?

I really can't help with the Athlon/Turion question, but I can say that I recently bought a Toshiba Netbook after having had a Dell, and so far I am very pleased. My mother and sister have the same one and they love them. My father has a Toshiba that is two years old and has had almost no problems (according to him). Good Luck!

Butterfly Mage

Quote Originally Posted by ShootsAndLeaves View Post
    I really can't help with the Athlon/Turion question, but I can say that I recently bought a Toshiba Netbook after having had a Dell, and so far I am very pleased. My mother and sister have the same one and they love them. My father has a Toshiba that is two years old and has had almost no problems (according to him). Good Luck!
    Cool. High quality is always a bonus.

Athlon is a more powerful chip.
    Turion is a more energy efficient chip.

Plain and simple.

It's like comparing a Pentium 4 to a Celeron. A 3.0Ghz Celeron isn't as powerful as a 2.0 Ghz P4, but it's more energy efficient.

If you're not as concerned with battery life, then go with the Athlon.

Butterfly Mage

Thanks for the clarificarion. I might go with the turion then, since i also use the computer in the car for music and GPS. A little bonus to battery life would be nice. The Imtel Atom has lousy power management.

well if both prosser chips are dule core then id recomend the turion on the basis of more cache, with it being a laptop this small i exspect the thr ram in both will be at the same speed. the ram speed and the prosser's front side buss speed have a realtion ship. its more ideal to have them both at the same speed ie 1:1 ratio, it is often that maufacurors do this so the speed of the prosser chips i exspect will be the sam. as for battery life i dout there will be much diffence, it normally noticable with much faster tops. i have to say its a shame your insisting on such a small laptop, if it were up to me i would say hell to battery life and wight and go for the best spec in coponents but the gamer in me talking. so to clarify if the only diffence in the tops is the size of cache the go with the bigger cache.