Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The "Just because I said so" excuse

Thumbs down The "Just because I said so" excuse

I put this in mature topics Becuse most adults may know what im talking about. I have been told "Becuse i said so" for a long time by my dad. He says becuse hes the parent he dosen't need to explain things that i ask him. And it will be for the dumbest things sometimes. But I was hoping someone who is ether a parent or uses this tearm can tell me why my dad keeps using it on me.

Because daddy ... its when they are "enacting" their better judgement, they know better because of more life experience and make a decision based on their views in regards to what they feel you should experience. Im not justifying it just explaining it.

Because you're from Iowa. All you ever gave us is corn and Slipknot - the world doesn't owe you a thing.

Also, ya know, he's your dad, so sometimes he probably just wants you to do what he says. Is it fair? Maybe not, and you may deserve an explanation for some things he asks of you. I don't what every situation is like for you regarding this, but I think there's a big difference for certain scenarios. Like your dad telling you that you can't go out one night because he said so, well that sucks. But if your dad ask you to go do the dishes because he said so, well that's another story, right? Maybe your dad sees you questioning him as some sort of annoying teen rebellion stuff sometimes. There are certain times when you should do what your dad asks, even if you don't want to. If it's going to helpful and such, and ya know? Maybe he wants you to think about other things before yourself. That said, if using it a lot in situations you actually don't think are fair, then you should talk to him about. Probably the best idea actually, if it's bugging you a bunch than have a talk.

Ugh I always hated this as a kid. I wouldn't listen until it was explained why and I always get in trouble. Parents are just too lazy to even say why. I still don't listen unless I am told why why why unless I am at work or when it comes to a police officer or laws.

The way I got around that was a combination of complaining, procrastinating, and doing a really sloppy job. When reasons were explained to me, I did it relatively quickly and neatly. Good thing my parents caught on quickly.

My dad never fell back on this excuse. In fact, his actions, punishments, tasks, etc. had aggravatingly logical reasoning behind them. I can't recall many times I could even catch him acting out of opinion or belief, much less emotions or ego.

LilpawsGHuskypup

Even if parents mean well when raising us, their prohibitions, rules and excuses have more impacts on us than we might actually think.
    When we're born to this world, we're without fear, rules and norms.
    I like to say that when we're born, we're are one with ourselves.
    It is as we grow up and get raised by our parents and meet society that we're learned about rules, right or wrong and even fear.
    Our parents teach us that it's wrong to speak with your mouth full, it's wrong to sing out load in public, it's wrong to this and that and this and that.
    They even teach us fear. What our parents are fearing, are passed on to us.
    They teach us to fear death, people we don't know, to speak before public...
    Even though they might mean well, these things may limit our lives.
    For example, having been learned to fear strangers, we pull ourselves away from making conversation etc.
    Even in the case of "parents have better judgment", it may be a limit. (!But sometimes their better judgment is correct of course!) An example can be a case in which a kid is trying to ride a bike for the first time.
    The kid is exited and wants to try riding the bike immediately. But suppose that the parent(s) wants the kid to use training wheels. The parents mean well for their child, but in the same time it limits the child's wishes.
    Undoubtedly, our parents plays a big role in building our picture of the world.
    Sad is, that some things they might teach doesn't benefit us. On the contrary. It may limit our lives once we grow up.
    But I don't wish to sound severe. By no means do I wish to criticize parents all over the world. In general, parents stand for so much love and goodness in our lives
    And a good thing about fears, is that they can be dealt with and lead to something better. Because most fears that humans have today, are illusions. They're not fears that help us (like the fear of hostile environments etc).
    They're fears that limit our own lives and possibilities.

I shall write more about this... it calls for a blog or something.

Quote Originally Posted by cornkid View Post
    I put this in mature topics Becuse most adults may know what im talking about. I have been told "Becuse i said so" for a long time by my dad. He says becuse hes the parent he dosen't need to explain things that i ask him. And it will be for the dumbest things sometimes. But I was hoping someone who is ether a parent or uses this tearm can tell me why my dad keeps using it on me.
    Your dad will gain 40 or 50 IQ points in your eyes in the next 10 years. Simplest way to explain it is to quote something Maxx Jr. said after his first semester away at college: "OMG, Dad, we live in a f__king bubble"

That's on purpose. There are a lot of things going on in your parents' lives that you don't know about, and don't need to know. If you think teenage life is complex and stressful, just wait. If you could see into the future, most likely you'd be more than happy to crawl back into your bubble of ignorance. In a few years, you'll be better equipped mentally and physically to deal with it.

Maybe you asked something at an inopportune time. Mom and Dad are trying to get from point A to point B, and adding a 30 minute explanation to your dawdling isn't going to help issues.

Maybe you asked them to buy you a bike, or a car, or a computer when they were trying to figure out where Tuesday's mortgage payment was going to come from, or when Dad was pretty sure he was going to be laid off at the end of the week. Do you really want all the info? So you can worry about stuff you can't do anything about?

Maybe you asked "Why can't I stay home alone for the weekend?" Your parents may have vivid memories of what THEY did under those circumstances. You may have been concieved in such a situation. They may not be ready to share all their flaws with you.

I could go on, but you get the point. Yes, its an easy out, and many parents overuse it. Still, in ten years, you'll be on the other side of the question. Good luck with that.

Yeah, I always hated it when my parents used that excuse when I was younger. Thankfully they didn't use it too often, and they mostly only used it when I was younger- I can't remember them saying "because I said so" very much in the last few years. It's just like Calico said, "because I said so" is a fall-back parents can use when they're too lazy to give a proper explanation.

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Slang View Post
    Because you're from Iowa. All you ever gave us is corn and Slipknot - the world doesn't owe you a thing.
    What do you have against Iowa? Besides, it's not like Canada ever contributed anything to the world.

Your father says it because he's your father. While a parent should never live by hypocritical standards ("Don't drink alcohol, son," he says, peeling the plastic from around the cap of another bottle of vodka), I believe they need not always explain themselves when it comes to disciplining or asking of their children. Children are raised in this era with a false sense of sovereignty, that they must have viable explanation behind all discipline. We see the negatives of that in our schools, in the way our youth increasingly lack respect their authority and their elders, in the way that manners and and propriety are often eschewed in the young.

Is this the norm? Not precisely, but there are plenty of kids out there who need a reddened ass for being little pricks, and the parents aren't willing / are too afraid to correct such activity.

When my father or mother said, "Because I said so," I understood that I was being put in my place for being their child, and I was required to live up to certain familial expectations.