Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correcting the Haters

Default Correcting the Haters

Have you ever been on a site before where people often have the wrong idea about something, and therefore despise and bash it? It happens to me often, and since I'm such a nice person who looks at both sides of things, I often correct them.

For example, I will be on the internet on some place like Youtube, and I'll see a judgment about a person of a larger size. The bashers often say things such as "Omfg all they do is eat twinkies all day lololol fat lazy moronz lolololol.They're all gonna get sick lolollolol" And, often, as a person who is of a larger body frame and a general peace maker, will say something like this: "Have you ever considered the fact that many people are overweight not because they eat a lot, but because of medications, diabetes, or metabolism conditions? Also, a person who may look overweight at first glance may just have a larger body frame. A stockier frame can often cause somebody to look bigger than they are. Oh, and not all overweight people are unhealthy. In fact, a lot of smaller people often have problems as well. Just because somebody is smaller doesn't mean that they eat and exercise enough to combat heart disease and diabetes."

The reason I'm posting this is because I wanted to see if I was the only peace maker around here. I can see both sides of an argument, and gently balance them out to a level of understanding. I do it often. Consider my response on the FML a while back.

I know, who the hell is gonna listen to me? That doesn't stop me from trying.

I'll be honest, when I see people who try to mediate the totally brainless posts that some people make on sites like YT I just laugh. At both people. I'm sure you're familiar with this concept. If the person gets a rise out of the person, they can twist it any way so that you lose and they're right. Oh, and they always say LOL and make this face:

You post an angry response? "Rage more lol :]"
    You post a reasonable response? "Lol you wasted so much time writing that out, you are stupid :["
    You post something to the contrary? "Trolled n00b :]]] LOL"

Of course that's the second wave of people finding about the-place-that-must-not-be-named who think it's cool to use memes in every place possible and to just be a bigoted idiot everywhere to make people angry.

They grow out of it, or they keep it to themselves IRL. Either way, the internet is really not a place that's good to waste time reasoning with people, especially when usually they're not held accountable for what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blanch View Post
    I'll be honest, when I see people who try to mediate the totally brainless posts that some people make on sites like YT I just laugh. At both people. I'm sure you're familiar with this concept. If the person gets a rise out of the person, they can twist it any way so that you lose and they're right. Oh, and they always say LOL and make this face:

You post an angry response? "Rage more lol :]"
    You post a reasonable response? "Lol you wasted so much time writing that out, you are stupid :["
    You post something to the contrary? "Trolled n00b :]]] LOL"

Of course that's the second wave of people finding about the-place-that-must-not-be-named who think it's cool to use memes in every place possible and to just be a bigoted idiot everywhere to make people angry.

They grow out of it, or they keep it to themselves IRL. Either way, the internet is really not a place that's good to waste time reasoning with people, especially when usually they're not held accountable for what they say.
    I always laugh at drama fights on the internet, but I choose not to start drama. If it does start because of something I say, I usually ignore it.

I guess I'm kind of a special one for making peace. But, hey, ya don't know. Maybe somebody will read one of my comments and feel better about themselves. I've done this on a few sites, and sometimes I just tell them the cold hard truth about something.

EDIT: If I'm on a site like "the place that shall not be named on this forum", then I usually don't mind. It's that part of the internet, so I go trollin' there too.

I think trying to correct people on Youtube is probably one of the most pointless things one can do. It's full of some of the most obscene, retarded, conceded, racist comments I have ever seen, and replying to them is just feeding the fire. I pretty much never correct someone I see on a site, unless I can do it without having to sign up for an account, because that's too much of a pain just to post something. I think the main thing I would correct people over though would be grammar rather than a misguided view on something, but that would be like trying to drain the oceans with a drinking straw.

I agree about the YouTube thing. That site is full of *poopoo* (to be polite LOL). Administration team of YouTube makes discrimination towards some people (I know a canadian, Davidsfarm on YouTube, who got in trouble just because he was getting popular). YouTube has a lot of power and influence, they can call the police to arrest you if they want! (and if they can of course). I myself sent ONE diaper video and BANG, got suspended. I clearly specified in my profile that I was Canadian. Hmmm... Tons of Americans send dozens of diaper videos and never get a single warning, so why did I get a suspension of one diaper video? Good question.

Well, I could explain a lot more, but I just wanted to tell how double-faced YouTube is.

Honestly I use to care but it's pretty damn amazing how much your overall outlook on things like this changes with time. Life is too short to get hung up on such petty things.

Mako

The best thing to do while lecturing on the internet is to gauge the audience, responses already there, and your own approach. Some times it can be effective and help someone, sometimes you're going to walk into a giant trollfest, and others you'll just run into irrationally stupid people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tails View Post
    I agree about the YouTube thing. That site is full of *poopoo* (to be polite LOL). Administration team of YouTube makes discrimination towards some people (I know a canadian, Davidsfarm on YouTube, who got in trouble just because he was getting popular). YouTube has a lot of power and influence, they can call the police to arrest you if they want! (and if they can of course). I myself sent ONE diaper video and BANG, got suspended. I clearly specified in my profile that I was Canadian. Hmmm... Tons of Americans send dozens of diaper videos and never get a single warning, so why did I get a suspension of one diaper video? Good question.

Well, I could explain a lot more, but I just wanted to tell how double-faced YouTube is.
    It's because diaper video's can violate youtubes terms of service. Yours may have been flagged more, or may have broken the rules in a more obvious way. If your an underaged kid prancing about in just a diaper on youtube, or used it on cam, such things can definitely be construed as a violation of the TOS.

Also with Davidsfarm specifically, you know he's a convicted pedophile right? It's nothing to do with Canadian discrimination.

MXmadman

Quote Originally Posted by Tails View Post

Don't get me wrong, there's a ton of useless crap and a ton of useless people on YouTube, but that's because of the users, not the administration.

Like Mako said, Davidsfarm has a criminal record. The powers that be on YouTube were well within common discretion to ban him. It'd have looked much worse on them if they didn't. Frankly, the reason why you were suspended is because you're under 18 and posted a video that someone apparently considered suggestive, not because you're Canadian. There are probably other videos on YouTube right now that violate their ToS as much as yours did, they just haven't been flagged yet for some reason. I imagine if they do get flagged, they'll be removed and the offending accounts will be suspended in no longer order than yours was. The majority of the diaper videos posted by people over the age of 18 are flagged as "for an adult audience only", so that shows that you have to be over 18 to even watch such videos on YouTube, much less upload them.

My apologies if any of that came across as rude, I'm just corroborating what Mako said. YouTube's a great site. That's why it's as popular as it is. Trouble is, when you get millions of people using a certain site at any given time, there's going to be a preponderance of idiots and douchebags (funny how if a person is one of those things, they're usually both). It is what you make of it.

People who make brainless comments on Youtube all spawned from the same puddle of slurry on some damp locker room floor. This is why I've made like Yahtzee Croshaw and absolved to never get into an online flame war in which I cannot reach through my monitor and slap the other person across the face for being such a belligerent tosser.