Thread: Total failure of protection...

Default Total failure of protection...

This topic is very icky, and deals with severe diarrhea. Proceed at your own descretion!

Two weeks ago (New Year's Week!), I contracted a horrible stomach,,, flu/virus/?... I've never been so ill in all my life.
    No matter WHAT I did, to protect myself, absolutely nothing worked, 100%. I even quad-wrapped, in an effort to keep my rack clean... I actually gave-up trying to sleep in my rack, and just curled up on the floor of the head (bathroom)... It was the most miserable 7 days of my existence...

If your bowels are ejecting liquid, every 1/2 hour or so, WHAT in the hell have any of you ever done to keep things from becoming worse than they have to be?

OH, and forget about the pink stuff, 'Immodium', et al. Whatever had my stomach in a snit, it just laughed at such OTC tactics!...

B.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucephalus View Post
    This topic is very icky, and deals with severe diarrhea. Proceed at your own descretion!

Two weeks ago (New Year's Week!), I contracted a horrible stomach,,, flu/virus/?... I've never been so ill in all my life.
    No matter WHAT I did, to protect myself, absolutely nothing worked, 100%. I even quad-wrapped, in an effort to keep my rack clean... I actually gave-up trying to sleep in my rack, and just curled up on the floor of the head (bathroom)... It was the most miserable 7 days of my existence...

If your bowels are ejecting liquid, every 1/2 hour or so, WHAT in the hell have any of you ever done to keep things from becoming worse than they have to be?

OH, and forget about the pink stuff, 'Immodium', et al. Whatever had my stomach in a snit, it just laughed at such OTC tactics!...

B.
    Recently had a bout of it myself, most likely a food-borne illness I picked up in South Africa over Christmas. I was fortunate enough to be within range of a toilet for the worst of it, though the flight back wasn't very pleasant with having to go to the toilet every hour for the 10 hour flight.

I ended up taking Cipro for five days to get rid of it. It killed pretty much all the bacteria in my intestinal tract, which means I am still not "right" and I am eating yogurt to help replace the good bacteria.

As far as protection goes, not a lot I can offer for advice except make sure to take lots of changes with you if you are going to go the diaper route.

By the way, H1N1 actually reproduces in the intestinal tract and can mimic "stomach flu" in some patients. About 50% of patients present with severe diarrhea and vomiting with no fever.

What I do to help get the digestive tract back to normal is to take what they call Acidophilus, otherwise known as PB8. It helps put the good bacteria back in you.
    Because I have to take stool softeners and a prescription laxative to counteract the effects the Morphine on my system, I also take the PB8 to try to keep things working properly. I usually take 1 pill every other day, although when I've got a bad case of diarrhea I'll take one every day until I'm back to what is normal for me.

This stuff is available OTC at any grocery or drug store.

Hope this helps.

Rick

It sounds like some form of water or food borne illness

Quote Originally Posted by closet dl View Post
    By the way, H1N1 actually reproduces in the intestinal tract and can mimic "stomach flu" in some patients. About 50% of patients present with severe diarrhea and vomiting with no fever.
    I had this. I had the same issue only for 24 hours. The worst part was I leaked all over the floor while I was changing. So embarrassed.

Hello again, and 'Thanks!' for taking the time to respond!

My Landlady, bless her heart, knew I wasn't feeling well, and kept me well-stocked with gatorade and electrolytes/drinks. Somehow, even plain water aggravated the situation?
    I didn't know that H1N1 could present in this way? Damn... I suppose, on the bright side of things, if THAT is what I had, at least now I'm on the mend, and hopefully won't suffer from it again!?

There's something very humbling about being 'chained' to the toilet/bathroom like that, however. As much as she kept asking if I wanted to go the the Dr./E.R., there just wasn't any way short of being unconcious I was leaving the proximity of the porcelain throne! heh heh heh

I read with interest about the yogurt PB8! I'm headed into town on the morrow, and will pick up a few quarts. Hopefully it'll reboost my G.I. tract?

Anyways, thanks again, very much, for your ideas and information! Heaven forbid it happens again (in any form!), but now I know a bit more on how to deal with it!

B.