Thread: Got a Job!

Default Got a Job!

There's actually a very funny story behind this. I've been trying to get a job at a math/English learning center near my house for about two months now and I finally got it. The first day I went in I didn't call first, I just walked in and asked if there was a job available. There was so I filled out the application and she told she'd call me in a day or two. A week later and she hadn't called me yet, so I just walked in again. She told me about the other forms I had to fill out, so I did and she said she'd call me again. Another week later and she hadn't called, so I just walked in again. They asked me if I was ready for my test. This didn't surprise me too much that I had to take a test to make sure I could teach, but it did surprise me that I walked in unannounced and they seemingly expected me. I also surprised me that the first mention of the test was "are you ready for it?" like I had been preparing. The test was actually a lot of fun and had a lot of math that I hadn't worked with in a long time. I love math so I had a blast digging through my memory to solve each problem. I passed so she said she'd call me when she did the background check. Two weeks later I walked in and she said she couldn't find the form and she'd call me when she did. A week later I walked in again and she said the form needed to be updated. A week later again she was gone and the form wasn't updated yet. A week later again again the center was closing for winter break and I should check back in again afterwords. Today they I went in and the form was finally there. It basically said that I gave them permission to do a background check. I filled it out, they shook my hand, apologized for the long wait, and said I could start working as soon as the background check cleared and they'd call me when it did. I'm just going to go in every day and check to make sure. I don't trust the phone call promise anymore.

My favorite part about this story is that I never had an interview. I don't know if my persistence was enough or if they just forgot to give me one, but it doesn't matter to me.

I'm going to be a middle school math teacher when I graduate college, so this job is perfect.

Mesmerale

Congratulations, link!

And way to be assertive about it! ^_^

LilpawsGHuskypup

Congratulations!
    Especially after that struggle with the employer, she don't seem to have all her bolts adjusted.
    But then again, you didn't have to do an interview!

MXmadman

Congrats!

I know exactly what you mean about the "we'll call you back" deal. I applied to just about every business in town that was hiring last time I was job hunting, got that line from all of them, and heard from none of them. The only business that ever called me back was the radio station I now work for, and I put an application in here two years before they hired me.

Quote Originally Posted by MXmadman View Post
    Congrats!

I know exactly what you mean about the "we'll call you back" deal. I applied to just about every business in town that was hiring last time I was job hunting, got that line from all of them, and heard from none of them. The only business that ever called me back was the radio station I now work for, and I put an application in here two years before they hired me.
    I've never gotten a call from anywhere I've applied to, but I just assume they forgot and walk in to remind them. I'm really excited to work with the kids too. I'm going to get to work with mostly little kids helping them with addition or multiplication, but I really hope that I get to work with some middle school aged kids since I want to be a middle school teacher.

You would be suprised to see just how walking into a place like you were expected or belong there works.

I have done that alot over my life, and there have been very few times, I was denied entry or asked to go thru channels the right way.

If you walk in like you own the place no one seems to question why you are there, they just accept the fact and go on.

The most that could happen is someone will ask you to leave very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by ballucanb View Post
    You would be suprised to see just how walking into a place like you were expected or belong there works.

I have done that alot over my life, and there have been very few times, I was denied entry or asked to go thru channels the right way.

If you walk in like you own the place no one seems to question why you are there, they just accept the fact and go on.

The most that could happen is someone will ask you to leave very nicely.

It's that whole, being the one with the ball driving the game. '

Way to take the initiative Link! Even though I don't really know you yet! lol

Quote Originally Posted by omutsudragon View Post
    It's that whole, being the one with the ball driving the game. '

Way to take the initiative Link! Even though I don't really know you yet! lol
    I'll accept a compliment from a stranger, nothing wrong with that. I didn't realize I was doing that until afterwords, which I find kind of funny. I walked in expecting to hear the words "we didn't because we don't want you," which would let me move on and look somewhere else. Instead I got "are your ready to take your test?"

Peachy

Teaching is fun!

I just hope they don't teach by phone though, or their students would forever remain dumb!

Peachy