Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox Question

Default Firefox Question

So I recently decided to get with the 21st century. I got high speed and built a new computer myself (the motherboard was a whoo to get in), which runs awsomely. And I decided that Internet Explorer 7 was great but wasn't quite working out for me. The security settings on it are a little odd. I don't like the fact that every time I run Ad-Aware and Spybot they catch 120+ tracking cookies.

So I was reading about various browsers such as Safari, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera. Firefox appealed to me most because of it's simple design, customization which really impressed me, and small memory usage, not that I have problems with my 2GB of RAM anyway.

But I was wondering if it's possible to not record history of the websites I go to in Mozilla Firefox? Like make it so it doesn't record any history?

I don't know about Firefox, but Safari includes a very nice feature called 'private browsing', which basically lets you surf the net without any evidence that you have even used it. This is quoted from the wiki:

When private browsing is turned on, webpages are not added to the history, items are automatically removed from the Downloads window, information isn't saved for AutoFill (including names and passwords), and searches are not added to the pop-up menu in the Google search box. Until you close the window, you can still click the Back and Forward buttons to return to webpages you have opened.

Well with Firefox (and IE), you can set the history to only have to much saved...Like it will have today's saved...Until tomorrow...Then it will be blank

Tools --> Options --> security

Then untick the box "record the history for the last ... days" (or something that's like that)

You can set it to clear private data including history every time you close it.

Tools>Options>Privacy

Check always clear my private data when I close firefox.

Click setting to modify what if clears.

Yeah you can set it to have FireFox clear private data (and you can set that to include cookies, history, save form information, etc. with the click of a check box) every time you close the browser.

EmeraldsAndLime

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Jake View Post
    Yeah you can set it to have FireFox clear private data (and you can set that to include cookies, history, save form information, etc. with the click of a check box) every time you close the browser.
    This.

But since I leave the IRC open (which I use Chatzilla for, a FF extention), even if I close down my browser, information is still saved. I constantly have to use the "Clear Private Data" from the Tools menu anyway.

Lukie: you could also use Ctrl + Shift + Del. Does the same.

You can also set it to not ask you for confirmation.

EmeraldsAndLime

True Marty... I've used that when someone was around and I wanted to discreetly clear it out.

But I'm not one for keyboard shortcuts. Ctrl+T for a new tab... that's about all I use.

Tigger

I don't like ff that much. I think it's great as a development tool with the web developer extension installed, but just for a regular browser it uses up waaaay too much ram. On mac I preffer to use safari, and when I'm on linux or windows I preffer Opera.