Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diaper Scamming?

Default Diaper Scamming?

Okay, so, upon recently searching Ebay due to my curiosity of looking at pictures of vintage diapers, I stumbled upon individuals that have offers that are just plain scams.

For instance, if you search "vintage diapers" into Ebay, you'll come across people selling a small amount of ABuinverse diapers and Bambino Diapers with Sales titles like "Vintage AB/DL baby print SUPERTHICK Medium Diaper"... which is really just 5 bambino's, except said seller can sell these samples for upwards to 17$. It currently costs $1.37 for a medium bambino diaper if you buy a case of mediums (48 diapers). Blantantly, if he sells 5 diapers for 17$ each, he can sell back a case for more than $163, which is ridiculous.

But at the same time, this got me thinking, because there are definitely advantages of ripping people off like this regardless how unethical it might be.

Without counting shipping, he only needs to sell around 20 diapers back to cover the innitial cost of the case, thus landing 29 FREE bambino's if you were to do this. If I could manage to get a paypal/ebay account, I wonder if I would want to do this... considering cash is an issue as I'm 16, regardless of the fact that I have a seasonal job because I put all that into savings, I would be very tempted.

What are your thoughts on this?

Well if people want spend that much on 5 bambinos, let them. The seller isn't forcing anyone to buy them from him and he clearly states the price and how many diapers he is selling.

I got a case of diapers once, and tried selling them on Ebay, no one really buys them there. At least not disposables. So they can scam all they want but they are only scamming the truely gullible

Quote Originally Posted by Raad View Post
    Okay, so, upon recently searching Ebay due to my curiosity of looking at pictures of vintage diapers, I stumbled upon individuals that have offers that are just plain scams.

For instance, if you search "vintage diapers" into Ebay, you'll come across people selling a small amount of ABuinverse diapers and Bambino Diapers with Sales titles like "Vintage AB/DL baby print SUPERTHICK Medium Diaper"... which is really just 5 bambino's, except said seller can sell these samples for upwards to 17$. It currently costs $1.37 for a medium bambino diaper if you buy a case of mediums (48 diapers). Blantantly, if he sells 5 diapers for 17$ each, he can sell back a case for more than $163, which is ridiculous.

But at the same time, this got me thinking, because there are definitely advantages of ripping people off like this regardless how unethical it might be.

Without counting shipping, he only needs to sell around 20 diapers back to cover the innitial cost of the case, thus landing 29 FREE bambino's if you were to do this. If I could manage to get a paypal/ebay account, I wonder if I would want to do this... considering cash is an issue as I'm 16, regardless of the fact that I have a seasonal job because I put all that into savings, I would be very tempted.

What are your thoughts on this?
    So you say its scamming and then you say.. hey wait I should do this too?

Anyways no one in their right mind would pay that much and AB/DL's will know what kind they are and where to get them the cheapest. They most likely know of Adisc if not daily diapers and a lot on both recommend XP Medical/Bambino.

True. Mostly.
    Sometimes the first of us only know to visit sites like Ebay for our desires. While it may only result in the memory of that once-upon day when we lost our hard-earned money for a moment of happiness, it may be marked in our memories forever as 'the time we got fokked.'
    TLDR: I did the same thing with cigarettes in Iraq. just be nice and fair, and you can do what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by yourhuggies View Post
    I got a case of diapers once, and tried selling them on Ebay, no one really buys them there. At least not disposables. So they can scam all they want but they are only scamming the truely gullible

How is that being gullible?

Elli

I suppose it depends whether, if someone knows nothing better and will buy an over-priced item, you decide it's their fault for being gullible, and therefore not morally wrong.

They might well be guillible on a particular purchase if they've never bought from elsewhere and haven't done their research. We could say it's their fault for not making themselves more informed. Deliberately using people's naivity for financial gain is probably a well-used marketing strategy. You offer a product, describe it honestly and display the over-priced tag accurately, then the responsibility is on the buyer, and it's their fault if they lose out. We see it all the time. But we know there's something not right about it.

I guess if you advertised that these were over-priced versions of an identical product you bought cheaper elsewhere...well, then that would be honest. If sound-minded, intelligent people still chose to buy them from you after that, then I guess it really would be up to them and not a scam.

Maybe another way to think about it is...

If we see someone else doing something we feel is wrong, but we see them get away with it and see them gain from it, should we decide it's not wrong after-all and join in, finding ourselves an excuse or someone to blame?

Not that I've never been guilty of that myself - I'm just trying to think about the issue from various angles.

I think this way yeah making large profit but at what cost ripping people with hard earn money special with way world is with money problems we have. there a lot elder and care taker that go on ebay to buy diapers for there love one and don't car if white or prints so on as long cheap in there mind. so not old could rip off someone who but person really need them don't got insurance like a lot American today with way health care is.

All say is think before you do understand 16 and need money lit tell something there a lot more people out that need money more to keep house or pay outrages medical bill and put food on table and all blue collar American would rather die in street than do something stealing or cheating someone for to make money.

I'm really failing to see how this is either unethical or a scam.

Why exactly doesn't a seller have a right to set higher prices? If Walmart and Target sell the same item at $20 and $30 respectively, Target isn't responsible for the consumers' terrible ability to compare prices if it makes the sale.

Entrepreneurs have every right to buy low and sell high if people are willing to pay the higher price in a different marketplace. If you think you could make good money per hour doing this for yourself, then go for it.

If there was some time of systemic collusion to keep prices high, or the true cost was intentionally obscured via a contract with more fine print then anyone could reasonably be expected to read, or coercion were somehow involved in making the sale, then I could see an ethics argument.

GoodJams1

If I was selling stuff on ebay, my heart would not allow me to sell something way overpriced. I'd rather sell several than one to get the same amount.