Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Society Experiment

Default A Society Experiment

I came up with this idea today while in English. Do you all think it would feasible to create a society where love is non existent? By that I mean:

The feeling of "love" would not exist to these people.

Breeding would be state assigned ex: Family 0000001 in 9 months time you are to sire 1 child. And in 9 months that family is inspected to see if that one child has been conceived yet.

Communism was the ideal that there would be a society without class structure. This society would be one in which the feeling and mindset of love is non existent.

Just something to ponder there, does anyone out there think this is humanly possible?

I'll refer you to Brave New World and 1964, both are realistic representations of where we might end up. To answer you question, yes it is possible, but it would take a long time to initiate due to many people opposing it.

Brave new World is an excellent allegory to that idea, but as for my opinion, i would rather not live in a life devoid of love. For one thing many of our more human emotions like empathy and compassion would be irrelevant and with out them i doubt a common synergy would exist. Also love not being an actual emotion, is something that helps keeps us sane, because desire, hope, and goals can aspire from love and with out it people would feel meaningless. Some might argue that people would feel content and un-bound by obligations of the heart, but i think wit out that drive most people would perish.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishyTushy View Post
    Brave new World is an excellent allegory to that idea, but as for my opinion, i would rather not live in a life devoid of love. For one thing many of our more human emotions like empathy and compassion would be irrelevant and with out them i doubt a common synergy would exist. Also love not being an actual emotion, is something that helps keeps us sane, because desire, hope, and goals can aspire from love and with out it people would feel meaningless. Some might argue that people would feel content and un-bound by obligations of the heart, but i think wit out that drive most people would perish.
    Though it very well could drown out depression, though depression has many causes, love is a huge factor that triggers it. With that factor gone, it demolishes that contributing factor. Mid you, the society would have a rough start, but by the second or third generation love would cease to exist.
    Last edited by diaperedteenager; 05-Jan-2010 at 00:57. Reason: spelling correction

MXmadman

I don't think it'd work too well. Our capability to love is something that sets us apart from animals, at least in my opinion. Animals have the ability to trust, but I don't think they have the capability to love.

I wouldn't mind living in the world in Brave new World. Sex with anyone is automatic, no ties, you're conditioned to love what you do and find enjoyment in the simplest things, and every day ends in a massive drug-induced orgy.

Quote Originally Posted by NoahKokoro View Post
    I'll refer you to Brave New World and 1964, both are realistic representations of where we might end up. To answer you question, yes it is possible, but it would take a long time to initiate due to many people opposing it.
    Ahh, the lesser-known prequel, right?

To, the OP, I'd suggest The Giver as an idea of this society as well.

I was thinking of The Giver as well. Easy read that really rolls by quick. Worth checkin out.

To answer the question, I don't think it is realistically possible, with humans at least. Our emotions are our trademark.

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    I came up with this idea today while in English. Do you all think it would feasible to create a society where love is non existent? By that I mean:

The feeling of "love" would not exist to these people.

Breeding would be state assigned ex: Family 0000001 in 9 months time you are to sire 1 child. And in 9 months that family is inspected to see if that one child has been conceived yet.

Communism was the ideal that there would be a society without class structure. This society would be one in which the feeling and mindset of love is non existent.

Just something to ponder there, does anyone out there think this is humanly possible?
    You provide an example that does not follow your question.

Please clarify what you think you mean by "love."