Thread: My computer takes a long time to POST.

Default My computer takes a long time to POST.

From pressing the power button, fans start spinning but on average 30+ seconds to POST, before Windows starts booting. I have undone my Overclock and still having the issue. Could this have something to do with a crack in my motherboard that was caused when I crammed my video card over some SATA Ports? What motherboard AM2+ do you recommend with out of the way SATA ports?

Appreciate your assistance.

Try resetting the BIOS. It might cause the problem which is holding the post system analysis to simply... go away.

DO it in BIOS, Une the Reset Jumper or pull out the CMOS battery for a couple of seconds.

I have the same issue with the SATA connectors being in the way of my PCI-E Card, however, I have no issues with POST (Even after ramming it in), However, if you do hvae a physical crack on the mobo, that may be causing issues.

I remember one motherboard I used to own had the option of a quick memory test, so perhaps you should look for that.
    It's worth a try, even though I doubt that's the reason.

MXmadman

If the longest part comes as it's trying to detect your physical drives, you might have a drive that's either not properly hooked up or is failing.

Well, I solved the issue. I replaced the motherboard. Bought one this morning and spent about 15 minutes installing it and then re-installed my OS, Windows Vista Business x64. Working on getting everything up and running ATM but I am now speaking to you on what feels like a brand new machine

id have said to clear the CMOS and reflash the BIOS with the latest version

Quote Originally Posted by timmahtherebel View Post
    Well, I solved the issue. I replaced the motherboard. Bought one this morning and spent about 15 minutes installing it and then re-installed my OS, Windows Vista Business x64. Working on getting everything up and running ATM but I am now speaking to you on what feels like a brand new machine
    From that, I would say that your computer was running slowly because the Hard drive connections were damaged (Due to the crack you stated in the first post). This would cause POST to hang (As mentioned above) and decrease your computer performance.

Glad you solved the issue!