Thread: This made me laugh...

Default This made me laugh...

I asked one of my friends if they would like to hang out tonight, I notified the person of my intentions one night prior to the time of the "hang out" so I get a response saying I may be doing something with my parents that night, but I will be in contact with you.

So, tonight comes and I text my friend saying "Are you able to do something tonight" at around noon today...no response, so i figure they must be out with their parents. I go onto facebook and see my friends plans for the night, which included hanging out with one of their friends.

I know now that I am not one which they would like to do something with, maybe they forgot...IDK, i'm just sayin'. This just gave me a little chuckle thinking "Us nerds, geeks, and losers are like reserve armies...people only want to do something with us when everything else has gone to hell".

Well at least we are good for something :/ Oh well thats life I guess.

This sort of thing used to happen quite a lot to me when I was younger, at school. I can think of quite a few times when I tried to make plans with someone, was kept waiting for an answer, was told that they were busy, and then found out they'd met up with someone else. I could certainly have identified with this:

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    "Us nerds, geeks, and losers are like reserve armies...people only want to do something with us when everything else has gone to hell".
    It doesn't seem to happen as much now. Not sure why... Possibly because I'm more confident, or less of a nerd, or maybe I've just got better friends than I used to.

Having said that, only this evening, I asked one of my friends if he wanted to come to the New Year's Eve party I'm having at my house, and he said that he'd let me know once he'd checked with some other friends! It didn't bother me as much as it would have done in the past though.

So, sorry to hear about your experience. Sometimes people don't value their friendships as much as they should. Try not to feel too down about it.

That's what we used to call "being ditched". Believe me, it happens to everybody at one time or other. I hated it when it happened to me. I usually confronted the perpetrator. Either get a larger base of friends, or just get better friends. I know that's easier said than done. Sometimes it just takes conversation and being honest with others.

Quote Originally Posted by dummydave View Post
    This sort of thing used to happen quite a lot to me when I was younger, at school. I can think of quite a few times when I tried to make plans with someone, was kept waiting for an answer, was told that they were busy, and then found out they'd met up with someone else. I could certainly have identified with this:

It doesn't seem to happen as much now. Not sure why... Possibly because I'm more confident, or less of a nerd, or maybe I've just got better friends than I used to.

Having said that, only this evening, I asked one of my friends if he wanted to come to the New Year's Eve party I'm having at my house, and he said that he'd let me know once he'd checked with some other friends! It didn't bother me as much as it would have done in the past though.

So, sorry to hear about your experience. Sometimes people don't value their friendships as much as they should. Try not to feel too down about it.
    I'm not too down about it, look on the bright side, i didn't have to spen the money to buy dinner, or burn the gas to go somewhere, or put the miles/wear and tear on my car getting to the place. So, my trade off for socialization was economic carte blanche.

Hey DT that stuff still happens to me, I wouldn't worry about it.... I think you may be too good for them anyway.....B

Mesmerale

Um.. Being ditched?

It's not really being ditched... Being ditched is when the friend says, "Yeah, sure, see you at eight!" and then never shows up.

It's just as likely that this friend didn't want to admit that he had plans with someone else, and just said that he was busy with his parents. There's a big emotional difference between "I already decided to hang with someone else" and "My parents are making me do something."

It might've just been to avoid feeling guilty about it.

Life hurts sometimes, but realistically you never know what could have happened. At least you were nice enough to ask. Just remember that at least you can enjoy a perfectly good monday night here with us! Or at least with the Bears and Vikings!

Haha, actually i used my free time to do some AP Economics and code an itouch app

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    I asked one of my friends if they would like to hang out tonight, I notified the person of my intentions one night prior to the time of the "hang out" so I get a response saying I may be doing something with my parents that night, but I will be in contact with you.

So, tonight comes and I text my friend saying "Are you able to do something tonight" at around noon today...no response, so i figure they must be out with their parents. I go onto facebook and see my friends plans for the night, which included hanging out with one of their friends.

I know now that I am not one which they would like to do something with, maybe they forgot...IDK, i'm just sayin'. This just gave me a little chuckle thinking "Us nerds, geeks, and losers are like reserve armies...people only want to do something with us when everything else has gone to hell".

Well at least we are good for something :/ Oh well thats life I guess.

Wow! Your plan making sounds so thought out and serious compared to mine.

I usually just phone up my friend and say "Hey, you! Come over to my house NOW!"

;P

Well, if you think about it this way, you weren't really ditched, your friend never made plans with you. They probably just didn't want to hurt your feelings, so they didn't reply.

It happens to everyone sometimes, no big deal, and no reason to feel bad. ;3

Ya I guess, oh well at least i made productive use of my time. IDK if it makes a difference, but the friend happens to be of the female sex.