Thread: Latex-free pacifier?

Default Latex-free pacifier?

I've done a board search, and I haven't come up with anything about latex-free adult pacifiers. One of the things I want the most is a pacifier, but I'm dreadfully allergic to latex (given how I respond to chewing gum, imagining a latex nipple in my mouth is about the least appealing thing ever). I've emailed the people who make the AB "Nuk 5" pacifiers with the cute shields, and asked them if they ever plan to make a silicone version. They responded by saying that they might do something like that in a year, but no promises. In my searches, the largest non-latex pacifier I've been able to find is a Nuk size 2, which is simply not large enough. I end up biting my tongue when I try to suck on it, and that's not comfortable at all.

Can any of you recommend me a larger-sized pacifier that isn't made of latex? I've heard that there might be some better options outside the US, but internet searches haven't turned up anything specific. If I knew exactly what brand name or model I was searching for, I'd probably have better luck. Thanks!

I read somewhere a while ago that it's possible to make your own pacifier. i can't remember where i read it, but i think the article was made by someone who was allergic to latex

If i find it i'll edit this post with the link

Default Several Ideas...

Aquarium Silicone Sealant + Nipple Mold?
    Nuk 3
    I have 2 nice nuk 3s that are ok. I could try and give you the name of them if you want.

I'm interested too! Because I noticed that when I use my Nuk 5 for a little while, I've got some itchy feelings in my mouth, just like when I eat apples or peaches. I can chew gum tho', so I'm not sure it's an allergy. It itches but without swelling.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverSmall View Post
    Aquarium Silicone Sealant + Nipple Mold?
    Nuk 3
    I have 2 nice nuk 3s that are ok. I could try and give you the name of them if you want.
    Wow, two questions:
    1) I had read that the Nuk 3 was not made in silicone. Do you happen to have a link to this or anything?

2) Is the Nuk 3 large enough? I don't have a particularly big mouth (literally speaking ) but I found the Nuk 2 fairly small, so I was wondering about the size difference.

Thank you so much for mentioning this! I will definitely try to find a silicone Nuk 3 and try it out...

Quote Originally Posted by PuerAeternus
    I'm interested too! Because I noticed that when I use my Nuk 5 for a little while, I've got some itchy feelings in my mouth, just like when I eat apples or peaches. I can chew gum tho', so I'm not sure it's an allergy. It itches but without swelling.
    That sounds like a mild latex allergy to me. I'm no expert, but my allergist mentioned that the first sign of an allergy is itching, so if you're allergic to something you eat (or something in your mouth, presumably), itching in the mouth would definitely be a sign. The swelling and burning tends to follow prolonged exposure. Of course, there's likely other latex in your environment that would likely be provoking similar symptoms if you're allergic: bandaids, condoms, gloves, balloons... so if it does turn out that you have a problem with latex, it would be a good idea to cut out these things as well.

There is now a Nuk 3 Genius that is made of silicone. I'm using it right now.
    Kind of steep though, $4.47 at Walmart for one.

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

Ok $3.99 at Amazon
    Amazon.com: NUK Genius Silicone BPA Free Pacifier, Size 3, 1 Pack, Colors May Vary: Baby

Silicone seal isn't good for you even when fully cured, also any mold you make is going to have latex traces. Plus paci's are hollow and its hard to cast something with a void.

I say go with Nachos suggestion and wait for Nuk 5's to catch up.

I'm in your boat Puer. I get an itchy throat sucking on mine which let me to thinking I have an allergy to latex. I keep my exposure limited with my paci so I don't get a dramatic reaction one day and end up in the hospital. I wonder if there's something you can put ontop of a nuk paci to cover the latex?