Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schumacher returns to Formula One

Default Schumacher returns to Formula One

So after his almost return for Ferrari this year, Michael Schumacher has officially announced his return to F1 with Mercedes next year.
    So after being gone for 3 years do you think he will still have the magic touch that lead him to 7 world championships?
    What do you think this will do to the sport in terms of attendances and viewers?

I think that after 3 years he'll have lost a small bit of his skill, although he'll still be a real contender for the championship. As for attendances they'll be bigger I mean we have the chance to watch the biggest name in the sport race again, nobody would want to miss that if this truly is his final season. And I am now definitely getting a ticket for the British grand prix.

So what do you guys think?

Loopygone

I think he's going to be in for a shock... there are some very good drivers in f1 atm, and he might not have it all to him self.
    I really hope he doesn't just dominate like he used to, that turned me off from watching F1 for a long time, "oh what a surprise, schumacher wins". I don't think he will do through, hes 41, and when he's up against someone like Hamilton I think he's gonna lose out in the who's got the biggest balls game.

What ever happens it should be interesting, Hamilton and Button on the same team (big ego's I fear), BMW starting to become competitive, looking forward to it. It's just such a shame that Brawn GP sold out so soon, they could of become a major brand/player, instead they're just Mercedes now .

Button for the championship (again )

I'm looking forward his return and to see how things will work out. He is my favorite driver since a long time now, I was so dissappointed when he retired.

Lots of things changed (rules, anti-skid,...) We'll see how he'll manage with that. I don't think other drivers will be a problem for him tho', as it never has been, the car's competitiveness/settings will be, as it always have been the most important things in Formula One. No one could win with a bad car.

Anyway, he is no God, and even if his result aren't as good as it used to be, he has nothing to prove to anyone.

Go for it Michael!

I heard about this on SportsCenter and i am not a racing fan at all but I hope that this situation was dealt better than Brett Favre.

I can't wait to see him back in action. I really want to go to the Montreal GP this year, but I just don't know if I can make it happen. I have to make it out to watch him at least once in the 3 year contract, and I'd love it to be the return of the US GP.

when i first heard of this, i was surprised...then i was ecstatic...now im a bit concerned.

Sure he's coming back after a 3 year break, but keep in mind he was part of the test program @ ferrari and did lots of driving with them. He would have jumped in for Massa after his brutal head injury, but he had suffered minor injuries from a motocycle accident preventing his comeback. Also keep in mind that he and Ross Brawn go back a ways so they know each other very well and will make for a very competitive team. My major concern is the competition he has. Hamilton, Webber, even Raikonen could be only some of the hurdles he has to conquer.

Am i happy he's back? Hell yes. Will i be cheering for him? Of course i am (he is a Stig ). Will he win another championship? IDK but i still would love to see him on top again.

Quote Originally Posted by TallestBabyEver View Post
    My major concern is the competition he has. Hamilton, Webber, even Raikonen could be only some of the hurdles he has to conquer.
    Raikkonen is going to rallying now with Citroen next year so that is one less problem for him.

Loopygone

Quote Originally Posted by TallestBabyEver View Post
    Also keep in mind that he and Ross Brawn go back a ways so they know each other very well and will make for a very competitive team.
    Ahhh crap, I forgot about that little nugget of info. Schuy won all his championships under the leadership of Brawn :X

Oh well, I just hope to god that his coming won't turn F1 back into a boring championship with a forgone conclusion. Hopefully it will be like last season, and go down to the wire with several good drivers fighting for the top spot all the way through.

I'm not a Schumacher fan, he was always racing against drivers who I supported more (mainly cause they where English :P). And some of his tactics can be a bit... dodgy. But hes a fast driver, and it will be interesting how he measures up to the other top drives out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    Ahhh crap, I forgot about that little nugget of info. Schuy won all his championships under the leadership of Brawn :X

Oh well, I just hope to god that his coming won't turn F1 back into a boring championship with a forgone conclusion. Hopefully it will be like last season, and go down to the wire with several good drivers fighting for the top spot all the way through.

I'm not a Schumacher fan, he was always racing against drivers who I supported more (mainly cause they where English :P). And some of his tactics can be a bit... dodgy. But hes a fast driver, and it will be interesting how he measures up to the other top drives out there.
    The past several championships have come down to the last race wire, which is great for keeping the sport exciting. And you english have plenty of good drivers out there to keep Schumi looking in his mirrors. However, only time will tell........

Quote Originally Posted by pajamakitten53 View Post
    So after being gone for 3 years do you think he will still have the magic touch that lead him to 7 world championships?
    i doubt he will have lost his skill at going round in circles in conditions that have no relevance to determining the fastest or best driver.

What do you think this will do to the sport in terms of attendances and viewers?
    relatively speaking, nobody attends nor watches F1.
    want to watch real racing? have it on real roads with real kerbs and real obstacles, and with two-way traffic. owt else is just a farce.

So what do you guys think?
    you like?