Thread: Paradoxes of Our Time

Default Paradoxes of Our Time

So, I was just aimlessly killing time on the internet, doing YouTube and stuff, when I decided to check my email. I saw that I had new email from a friend of mine, so I opened it up. It was pretty cool, it was all the paradoxes of our time. I thought since it is the years end of a decade, what better yet than to look back and see how I spent those last 10 years. I was sad to realize that I squandered those years away and realized those are 10 years that I won't get back. With that in mind, I have made a New Years resolution, for this new year, I am going to live for today and hope for tomorrow, and not wast time away like I so foolishly have.

With the way these movie stars have been dieing only makes you realize. These are people that others thought were invincible and would have long lives. But in the last year, we have lost Heath Ledger, Fara Fawcett, Michael Jackson, Patrick Swayze, and Brittany Murphy. These are all young, young people, and they all just went, poof, like that. Like the old saying goes "You only live once."

This is the email I got:

The Paradox of Our Time

The Paradox of our time is history is that we have taller buildings, but shorter tempers; wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less; we buy more, but enjoy it less. We have bigger houses and smaller families; more conveniences, but less time; we have more degrees, but less sense; more knowledge, but less judgment; more experts, but more problems; more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get angry too quickly, stay up too late, get too tired, read too seldom, watch TV too much, and forgive too seldom. We have multiplied out possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living, but not a life; we’ve added years to life, but not life to our years. We’ve been all the way to the moon and back, but we have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We’ve conquered outer space, but not our inner space. We’ve done larger things, but not better things. We’ve cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We’ve split the atom, but not our prejudices. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We’ve learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information to produce more copies than ever, but we have less communication.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion; tall men and short character; steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the times of world peace, but domestic warfare; more leisure, but less fun; more kinds of food, but less nutrition. These are the days of two incomes, but more divorce; of fancier houses, but broken homes. These are the days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throw-away morality, one-night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer to quiet to kill. It is a time when there is much in the show window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight or just hit delete.

Unknown

What about you guys, if you could go back in time over the last 10 years and change one thing, what would it be, and why? Also, do any of you have any New years resolutions yet? If so, what would they be?

Loopygone

If I could go back 10 years I'd never start smoking.... And that's one of my new years resolutions.... It's such a bad habit but so addictive at the same time .

LilLillyKitten

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    If I could go back 10 years I'd never start smoking.... And that's one of my new years resolutions.... It's such a bad habit but so addictive at the same time .
    I'm up to 6 years... but I've cut down to maybe one or two a day, if that. I've gone like 5 days without at times... I only smoke when I want to; not when I suddenly have a craving.

However, I am still addicted... It's mostly the oral fixation and wanting to feel smoke in my lungs.

Quote Originally Posted by TygerLily View Post
    I'm up to 6 years... but I've cut down to maybe one or two a day, if that. I've gone like 5 days without at times... I only smoke when I want to; not when I suddenly have a craving.

However, I am still addicted... It's mostly the oral fixation and wanting to feel smoke in my lungs.
    Could not have said it better for myself actually..... like all of that except im at like 3-5 a day

But for me within the last ten years, what i really wish i could go back and change i guess would be right smack dab in High School, there are people there that i wouldn't have hurt, others i wouldn't have left, and some that deserved more from me. I would also re-do everything i did and enjoy it even more because i know now it'll never happen again. I would also not have acted so quickly coming out of it.

Hmm...re do my school stuff a little differently. Not much else beyond that. 10 years is a long time.

Loopygone

Quote Originally Posted by TygerLily View Post

I've cut down a lot, down to about 5 a day now from 20 a day, and I have given up a couple of times..... It's just when I drink that craving hits, and drink knocks down my will power kinda :P.