Thread: Help me with my TV Please???

Question Help me with my TV Please???

OK Don't get me wrong here, I work in tech support.. But I do computers.. When it comes to TV's.. I know enough, but not enough to figure out an issue like this. My basic troubleshooting is telling me there is a problem, but I can't figure out what it is.

***my remote only works intermittently. The line of sight to the TV is clear, I have power-cycled the remote and the TV, tried different batteries, and yet the remote only works when I hit it. The batteries are tight... What could the issue be here?***

TV is an old 38 Inch CRT. It was given to me, and I don't know a whole lot about it. Do I need a new remote? Or is there something I have overlooked

Could possibly be a loose transistor or even some soldering in the remote, I would open it up and have a look ... but if you dont feel comfortable doing that try getting a universal remote .. they sell em in drug stores for like 7 bucks

Not a problem opening it up.. I open computers all the time.. I'll see what that finds me.. If not, I'll buy universal one. They're easy enough to program.

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

Ok, thank you for your help, I did not think it could be a loose chip, but there is a chip in there that seems to be hanging by only 1 stud, and you can tell there was 3 in it. I will juust buy a new remote. Thanks ^.^

That's nuts that the microcontroller is only hanging by one pin and still working. Must of been the orientation that you were holding it!
    Electronics problems always stump me!

Hmm. I'm an expert in these things and I know how to handle these things. Follow my general guidelines:

Point's very short guide to: FIXING TELEVISIONS
    1) Get very angry at the TV.
    2) Yell "What the hell is this? I want to watch IOETH" (IOETH of course being the show you were watching).
    3) Throw your remote at the wall. If it breaks, skip straight to step 6.
    4) Walk over to the remote and say "OH YEAH? Maybe NOW you'll make the TV work, you piece of crap!"
    5) Look at yourself in the TV reflection and recognize the absurdity of your current situation.
    6) Feel very remorseful for your actions.
    7) Buy a new remote and throw it at the screen instead. If it's a flat screen, don't do that. Throw it at the wall again.
    8) Buy a new TV after repeating steps 1-7 three or so times.

Enjoy!

Soldee welds are a common issue on remotes since they get squeezed, knocked around and dropped. If you look at the back of the board with a magnifier I'm sure you'll find a few suspect connections that are failing. A quick rewarming of the joint with an iron will fix it (So long as it's lead based solder, lead free though, just get a universale remote, you'll never get the stuff to re-wet).

Quote Originally Posted by babibear View Post
    Soldee welds are a common issue on remotes since they get squeezed, knocked around and dropped. If you look at the back of the board with a magnifier I'm sure you'll find a few suspect connections that are failing. A quick rewarming of the joint with an iron will fix it (So long as it's lead based solder, lead free though, just get a universale remote, you'll never get the stuff to re-wet).
    That is fascinating there is so much to fix in a TV these days. Things are so complex.

Another good tip is to tell if the IR emitter is emitting, a camera phone can pick up the IR light. so just set your phone to video record and you'll see the IR diode go purple on the phone's screen. How I could confirm that the diode had a snapped leg before opening up the remote.