Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rumormill Tiem: Goldeneye Wii

Default Rumormill Tiem: Goldeneye Wii

Ok, I've been anticipating this for a good while and been wondering if Microsoft or Nintendo would rerelease it. So far it seems like mid 2010 the Wii should be releasing it on Wiiware for download. So what are your thoughts? Anyone have anymore information on this?

I was under the impression that it would never be released for either platform because Nintendo own some of the rights and Rare (now owned by Microsoft) own the rest, and MS & Nintendo can't come to any kind of sensible agreement.

That said, we have Perfect Dark (the original N64 title) coming out on Xbox Live Arcade in "winter 2009/10", and I don't see how that differs from Goldeneye in terms of rights ownership. Still, Perfect Dark was largely just Goldeneye++, anyway, so I'm happy with that. Plus, I never got to play Perfect Dark on N64, since I was a poor kid from a family with not much more money, so I wanna see what I missed

Edit: Rare have been posting screenshots of PD XBLA on Twitter, if you're interested: @RareLtd. This page seems to show the screenshots, too.

Eh, might have to skip it if it eventually happens. When Goldeneye first game ever, it was probably my favorite game at the time. But, I have a feeling it didn't age very well. The FPS of today are miles beyond the N64-era.

Awe man I loved Goldeneye. I played that game so much. Nintendo seems to be going back to its roots here with the new Mario being like the old one, the soon to be new metroid which will be like the old ones, and now the release of one of their greatest games. They should really put more games up for download from the N64. They had so many amazing games.

Well, acording to Microsoft the window of opportunity is over. I know that Goldeneye for XBOX 360 is pretty much done, but will never be released (heck, they even had splitscreen online multi player!). Basically, Microsoft and Activision (which owns the James Bonds rights for video-games) had offered a deal to Nintendo: Activision keeps part of the profits, while Nintendo allows Microsoft to releash the game on 360. On the other end, Microsoft would allow Nintendo to release all the games Rare did on the Nintendo 64 to the virtual arcade, and Activision would also let Nintendo release Goldeneye on the Wii (again, Activision would get a slice of the profits). Apparently Nintendo of America was on board, but the order came from way up in the Nintendo hierarchy (apparently as high as Iwata himself) to kill the deal. So, no, Goldeneye is not getting re-released anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    Well, acording to Microsoft the window of opportunity is over. I know that Goldeneye for XBOX 360 is pretty much done, but will never be released (heck, they even had splitscreen online multi player!). Basically, Microsoft and Activision (which owns the James Bonds rights for video-games) had offered a deal to Nintendo: Activision keeps part of the profits, while Nintendo allows Microsoft to releash the game on 360. On the other end, Microsoft would allow Nintendo to release all the games Rare did on the Nintendo 64 to the virtual arcade, and Activision would also let Nintendo release Goldeneye on the Wii (again, Activision would get a slice of the profits). Apparently Nintendo of America was on board, but the order came from way up in the Nintendo hierarchy (apparently as high as Iwata himself) to kill the deal. So, no, Goldeneye is not getting re-released anytime soon.
    BOO! So much for going back to their roots. Lets just hope that the current deal was shot down and a new one is being formed. I know it's a long shot, but one can dream.

GoldenEye remake coming to the Wii in 2010? - News at GameSpot
    I think that's where I got the information from, but now it's looking more like Perfect Dark was what they were discussing. In my opinion, the best Goldeneye to date is the Half-Life 2 Goldeneye mod.

Rare did also remake the Facility multiplayer map from Goldeneye as DLC for Perfect Dark Zero on X360, if anyone's interested It was a pretty faithful recreation, just with prettier textures & models.

I bought Perfect Dark: Zero hoping for so much more. after two multiplayer sessions and the first level, I promptly returned it.

I don't really see what everyone hated about it so much. I quite enjoyed it, and have all but two of the story missions completed on the highest difficulty (i.e. Dark Agent), albeit completed in co-op mode. Compared to more recent games, it's perhaps not brilliant, but as a launch title it was great.