Thread: diapers and varicoceles

Default diapers and varicoceles

Technically this isn't an incontinence thread, but it's an issue I think incontinent people might be more familiar with, given that they wear for extended periods of time.

So I'm a male and I have a varicocele that's about as bad as they can get. So far, the doc's been telling me to wait and watch, and as long as things don't turn sour, we won't do anything about it. But recently I've noticed something very strange: over the past few weeks, whenever I wear a diaper for a while (as in, a day or more), I develop a dull ache that runs the course of the vein, i.e. not just through my little buddies but up into my abdomen and down my leg. I'm not sure why it's happening, but I suspect it's either the heat that builds up when one wears a diaper, or else I'm wearing it too tight and the pressure's causing the pain. I'll be seeing the urologist in January and we'll talk about it then, but in the mean time, has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, have you found a way around it (besides surgery, obviously).

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Technically this isn't an incontinence thread, but it's an issue I think incontinent people might be more familiar with, given that they wear for extended periods of time.

So I'm a male and I have a varicocele that's about as bad as they can get. So far, the doc's been telling me to wait and watch, and as long as things don't turn sour, we won't do anything about it. But recently I've noticed something very strange: over the past few weeks, whenever I wear a diaper for a while (as in, a day or more), I develop a dull ache that runs the course of the vein, i.e. not just through my little buddies but up into my abdomen and down my leg. I'm not sure why it's happening, but I suspect it's either the heat that builds up when one wears a diaper, or else I'm wearing it too tight and the pressure's causing the pain. I'll be seeing the urologist in January and we'll talk about it then, but in the mean time, has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, have you found a way around it (besides surgery, obviously).
    I have a varicocele. They're relatively common. Actually, diapers ought to help by offering support and keeping the blood from pooling and causing discomfort. I wear briefs now, which has helped, but I'll probably get a spring put in with a catheter to fix the varicocele some time. They can be quite painful, so I understand what you mean. I felt pain in my back before I started wearing briefs. They can also decrease sperm count, although it's quite straightforward to repair and that tends to fix the sperm deficiency.

Talk to your urologist about the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    What do you mean by it's as bad as it can get? I have talked to my Urologist about varicoceles, because I've had sperm deficiencies and we have been trying to conceive for some time. He has examined me and said I didn't have one. However, I've worn diapers all my life and 24/7 for about 7 years now and I have had the kind of dull pain you are describing. It doesn't happen often and usually goes away after a day. I'm sure it's not because my diaper is too tight. I wonder if I DO have a varicocele and my doctor is just an idiot. I just don't know what you mean by "as bad as it can get" Is your sack swollen? Are your "little buddies" swollen? I've never had any kind of swelling down there that I can detect.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    What do you mean by it's as bad as it can get? I have talked to my Urologist about varicoceles, because I've had sperm deficiencies and we have been trying to conceive for some time. He has examined me and said I didn't have one. However, I've worn diapers all my life and 24/7 for about 7 years now and I have had the kind of dull pain you are describing. It doesn't happen often and usually goes away after a day. I'm sure it's not because my diaper is too tight. I wonder if I DO have a varicocele and my doctor is just an idiot. I just don't know what you mean by "as bad as it can get" Is your sack swollen? Are your "little buddies" swollen? I've never had any kind of swelling down there that I can detect.
    Varicoceles are known colloquially as "sack of worms"--the veins in your scrotum would feel like that. Can you get a doppler ultrasound? If you don't have the "sack of worms" feeling, however, it's unlikely you have a varicocele.

Hmm now that it has been mentioned in the forums, I have to say I did have a very mild case of a varicocele turn up in an exam when i went to get checked for testicular pain. I thouth about diapers as a cause but I think it might've actually been the use of boxers instead of briefs.