Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Killing in the name of... Christmas!!

Default Killing in the name of... Christmas!!

"**** you, I won't do what you tell me!"

Many people want to deliver that very message to Simon Cowell, the man behind (and one of judges on) The X-Factor. (Also American Idol)

The winner of The X-Factor always releases a Christmas single, and always gets that coveted Christmas number one spot in the charts.
    I personally like the X-Factor, and last night's finale was great (ZOMG, Paul McCartney, ZOMG), but I do dislike how it sucks the magic out of the Christmas number one...

Last year the Christmas song was "Hallelujah", and it was nice, but nothing compared to Jeff Buckley's version!
    A Facebook group was made urging people to buy the Buckley song instead, and it made it to Christmas number two!
    Hurray for music!

This year, Facebook became more aggressive... Rage Against the Machine for number one it demanded!

So what do people think of this?
    Personally I love the idea of listening to (a very censored) Rage Against song on the radio this Christmas.

Of course there is irony in this; a "let's be non-conformist by conforming" thing, but I like to look past that and enjoy the culture of Facebook having a little fun.

Facey B group in question:
    Group
    Last edited by Charlie; 15-Dec-2009 at 19:07.

Well I love Killing In The Name and believe that if anything deserves to be number 1 this year it's this.

I hate how the X factor removes the excitement of the christmas number 1 and believe that this sends a message to Simon Cowell that people want something new even if it has nothing to do with christmas.

BTW the group has actually been removed but others have been set up in it's place.

I've already bought it from Play.com, just this morning

There's a Twitter hashtag for it, too, if anyone's interested: #ratm4xmas

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post
    "**** you, I won't do what you tell me!"

Many people want to deliver that very message to Simon Cowell, the man behind (and one of judges on) The X-Factor. (Also American Idol)

The winner of The X-Factor always releases a Christmas single, and always gets that coveted Christmas number one spot in the charts.
    I personally like the X-Factor, and last night's finale was great (ZOMG, Paul McCartney, ZOMG), but I do dislike how it sucks the magic out of the Christmas number one...

Last year the Christmas song was "Hallelujah", and it was nice, but nothing compared to Jeff Buckley's version!
    A Facebook group was made urging people to buy the Buckley song instead, and it made it to Christmas number two!
    Hurray for music!

This year, Facebook became more aggressive... Rage Against the Machine for number one it demanded!

Personally I love the idea of listening to (a very censored) Rage Against song on the radio this Christmas.

Of course there is irony in this; a "let's be non-conformist by conforming" thing, but I like to look past that and enjoy the culture of Facebook having a little fun.

Facey B group in question:
    Group
    (Might not work; it's rumoured to have been removed! It might just be very busy. I'll edit it out if necessary later on. Try just Googling...)

I see what you did thar .

And I love Rage. Recently I've been following Street Sweeper Social Club - Tom Morello's latest pet/project, check it out if you haven't already.

If I may say, bloody brilliant he is!
    http://paxarcana.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/british_gentry.jpg

Pretty sure this is just the fans, and not the band doing this right? Doesn't sound like a RATM thing to do.

Also, Killing in the Name is one of the better songs I've ever heard. Passionate and intense, simple music that is still powerful, a gnarly and unique guitar solo, an anthem that's not corny... pretty much greatness.

When I saw this title i was hoping it was about RATM =) What a great idea though. Hope it works

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post

I agree with the sentiments and I think I hate hearing Bing Crosby as much as everyone else here, but... Rage Against the Machine? No thank you. Why can't they choose a band that has made an album some time in the past ten years? Or one that doesn't already get a ridiculous amount of air time? Or that sounds good?

Oh well. I don't listen to the radio anyway, so you can have whatever band you want at the top.

Also, online petitions

Well according to the BBC, RATM is currently outselling Joe so you never know. Also Ladbrokes has reopened betting on the christmas number 1 with RATM at 2/1 and Joe at 1/3.

I've just got it from Amazon. I already have the album but I find the thing funny enough to justify the 29p.

In fairness, the X-factor fellow's song could be amazing as far as I know since I haven't heard it and though there are plenty of arguments you could make against this kind of campaign it's going to annoy and surprise enough people to make it worthwhile. There's also something impressive about these kind of internet movements even if it's not exactly the most important issue in the world to turn one to.

Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah is the best, incidentally.

Butterfly Mage

What a freakin' hillaruous name for the song. When I saw the title, I thought it was going to be a sociopolitical thread (my favorite kind, of course).

I usually write carol parodies around Christmas. Some of mine have been "Frosty the Ice Golem" and "Rudilph the Cyborg Reindeer"