Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scared?

Default Scared?

Well as my senior year comes to a close I have the daunting task of applying to colleges, and etc. Every time I think of the whole college topic I get sad, like the feeling in your heart like you want to cry but can't. I have no idea why I get like this. Did anyone else have these feelings when that time of their lives came?

Kinda, because its a huge change, but at the same time I also really wanted to get out of town and try something new. It's pretty weird heading off to college, and it might tough for you to adapt at first, but persoanlly I've enjoyed the move a lot. I dunno, I guess it's different for everyone. Sometimes it sucks having to do all your own food and taking care of yourself, but at the same time the independence is really freeing. My advice to you would be to focus on more of the positive stuff man, and apply for all the scholarships you can now. I only got a few cause I was lazy and waited too long, but it's really sweet to get a bunch of money for little effort.

I certainly felt like I was leaving something behind and making a major change. I found it incredibly exciting, but it's vertiginous as well. Take some time to think about the good and the bad of what you have if you need to, and think about the good and the bad of going to college. Try not to stress out too much about applications, either--things have a way of working out in the end.

I'm in the process of applying to do more education after I finish my degree, so I know where you're coming from. I might leave Scotland, which is where my girlfriend will probably stay. That's given me a lot to think about, but (as it is for you) it's exciting. I'm also in the position of planning my career (which you might or might not be yet.) I hope you can find the time to appreciate your last year of school and anticipate the next step--senior year can be an amazing time if you make the most of it.

Best of luck, and do post here if you're not sure what to do or need support.

Yeah, I felt kind of sad/upset. I had to abandon something I knew well, something solid, and jump into an unpredictable, big, and seemingly threatening 'next stage'. I didn't know what I wanted to study, or what I wanted to do for money after I graduated...I just knew that I could pick between college or probably the military. I picked college.

It was a tough adjustment in some ways, but easy in many others. And it became 'routine' in the span of about two weeks. I didn't really figure out what I wanted to do/be after I got my degree until my senior year. Then I started applying to graduate schools and kind of repeated the whole process again (uncertainty, tendency to assume the worst, etc.). I'm in the home stretch of this stage, and will have to start another one fairly soon--time to get a job.

I had a blast in college, and wish I could go back and do it again. Perhaps you're concerned about having troubles making friends. There will be a lot of folks looking to make new friends, and there will be a lot of fun to be had. Find some folks that have common interests, and see where that goes. That's something to look forward to.

By the time I graduated from high school, I was ready to move on, to develop and grow as a musician and advance my career. Making new beginnings is never easy. There is so much we have to leave behind. The hardest is leaving those friends that we grew up with, sharing good times. It's all part of the process of growing into adulthood. I went to school only an hour's drive from home. I often drove home over the weekend, though my other friends were also away in college.

I enjoyed keeping that connection with my parents and my bedroom, my little world. It gave me a chance to feel sane again, plus my mom's cooking was pretty good. As you look for colleges, do what's best for you. There are many workable solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    Well as my senior year comes to a close I have the daunting task of applying to colleges, and etc. Every time I think of the whole college topic I get sad, like the feeling in your heart like you want to cry but can't. I have no idea why I get like this. Did anyone else have these feelings when that time of their lives came?
    Ouch... For a totally different reason.

It's now almost spring semester of your final year in high school, and you're only now entertaining the idea of applying to colleges? Maybe things have changed in the last 10 years, but when I was your age, admissions was long since closed at that point. I started touring colleges when I was a junior, and was accepted to the one I wanted to attend the winter before I graduated (basically where you are now).

If you want to be somewhere in the fall for post-secondary education, you better check your emotions at the door and haul ass through the application process, if you still even can. The time to act is like... Right now. Not Tuesday, but tomorrow. Contact the admissions departments immediately and find out if you can still apply.

You "get sad"? Dude... Your whole life rides on your education and what kind of job you get after school. Suck it up, be a man, and get shit done.

Alternatively, you can be like me and do it the hard way. I got into college easily, but took it as a joke, barely graduated with a 2 year degree which isn't worth it's weight in paper, and now have to compensate for my laziness on a daily basis.

Put away the emotions, step away from the diaper thing, disregard your internet habits, and get that shit done! Trust me, it'll be the best thing you'll ever do for yourself. The choices you make between 17 and 21 will define the rest of your life.

Probably anxiety, most of us had it before we went into the "real world"

Have you considered the Military or a Military Academy.

IE, if you have a good GPA you can apply to attend the US Coast Guard Academy in New London, CT.

YOu will earn a BS and get to sail on a 245 foot Barque class tallship for your middie cruise. After college you will be an officier in countries premier maritine lifesaving service. (plus you get paid a damned good living whioe in school and after as an ensign) after a few years on active as an officer you can resign your commision but you always have the degree, plus you are more marketable in the civilian world because you have command experience at young age. Or you can stay in and work your way up till you have command of your ship.

You can enlist, like I did, the pay isn't great but the college money is wonderful plus while on active you can go to school and still get paid and you can clept class (you just take a test and if you pass you get full credits).

Best part was saving a life when I was stationed at NL, CT. A sailboat got a nasty hole in her hull just the port of her keel line. We got out there and pulled a mom, dad, and 16 month old little girl off the boat than me and another guy went down and used some wedges with okum wraped around them to plug the hole. After that the old P-5 dewatering pump we set up drained her and we managed to save life and boat. One of the best days of my life.
    -------------
    Jeez I sound like a recruitment speech.

Just focus on finding the right college home for you.

Start by figuring out what your budget is going to be, and whether your grades/test scores will be enough for merit aid if you want to go private. Think about programs you might be interested in pursuing, or if there's a particular part of the country you'd like to move to... or maybe you want to stay close to home?

America is blessed with a million zillion options for higher education, so there'll be a good fit for you somewhere

It's somewhat sad because it's a time of transition, you'll be departing from old friends... but it's also a great opportunity and a great time in your life. College is fun, or at least it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by polarbaby View Post
    Start by figuring out what your budget is going to be, and whether your grades/test scores will be enough for merit aid if you want to go private. Think about programs you might be interested in pursuing, or if there's a particular part of the country you'd like to move to... or maybe you want to stay close to home?
    If he wants to go to college in the fall, this is all stuff he should've thought about a year ago. Now is the time to:

1. Call the admissions department of every school he's thinking of applying to tomorrow, and see if admissions are still open.

2. For the schools that still have open enrollment, submit a letter and transcript via registered mail.

3. Prepare any FAFSA and other student loan documents ASAP.

And go from there... Researching any remaining scholarships available and such.

The OP does not have any time if he wants to go to school in the fall. The time to act is NOW.

LOL I think that thinking about college is what drove me to regress and get into diapers.