Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey guys :D

Default Hey guys :D

Just thought I should drop in and say hi. I've been a lurker here (and on a site or two like this) for years but I always felt kind of bad about just sort of hovering around the community without interacting. So here I am, finally.

I'm 17, soon to be a full-fledged adult (no!), and I've always been really, really shy. It didn't used to be as bad as it has gotten, but something in my early teen years or so made me become reclusive and I'm just now learning how to get over it, with a lot of help from friends.

I also used to be severely agoraphobic; it got so bad that I was afraid to leave my room. Luckily, that's mostly gone but I still seem to feel apprehensive more than I should about traveling.

I come from the great land known as the rural US. As much as it sucks to be so far away from everything I can't imagine myself living in a city. Of course, I say that now and I guarantee I'll end up there.

I tend to have weird hobbies. I study foreign languages and psychology in my spare time and I love old computers and retro gaming.

And I also have an affinity for excess parentheses (as you can probably tell )

But why am I here now? Well, to be honest, like I said I've lurked around here every know and then for years (back before it was hosted at adisc.org), and I never signed up before now because I stayed paranoid. But I guess becoming "grown up" soon has made me grow into more of my own person and not care as much.

Frankly in some ways I can't wait to grow up so I can "grow down" a little bit more freely.

Sorry if I don't post here much in the future. I hope that doesn't come off as being a creepy stalker, I just usually don't have a lot to say.

Nice to meet y'all.

You never gave off a creepy vibe, stalkerish. But if you want to ease into interaction as a way of unparanoiding, dipping a toe in the water and finding it neither too cold nor full of barracudas, please feel free to post some more.

Welcome from a fellow Virginian. I'm here in central Virginia, and don't have far to drive to get into the country. It's beautiful in the foot hills of the Shenandoah Mountains. We're really pretty friendly, so don't be afraid to join in on the posts and conversations. I'm sure you'll be well received.

Wingychan

Nice to meet you!

Hi! Nice to meet you... and great introduction. I don't think you sound creepy at all, so you probably don't need to worry.

What sorts of older games are you into? I really love Commander Keen, Zelda, Doom, that sort of thing... And what languages do you know?

I used to be socially phobic, so I think I kind of know where you're coming from. The thing that helped me with it was gradually finding "safe" ways to express myself. It was like I drew a circle with chalk around a certain place in my life, and designated that as the place where I didn't have to be fearful. Of course, drawing the circle is itself a challenge, so it definitely takes a few well thought out first steps. But one thing you might do is, say, start posting in the greetings section, and then branch out to other forums... At least, that sort of thing helped me. I hope we'll hear more of you!

Hey, welcome! Hopefully if you stick around and post every now and then you'll start to feel more comfortable here

I know lurking can be quite a hard habit to kick... I hardly posted for ages after TBDL became ADISC.

Wow, thanks a lot y'all. I'm really flattered by the compliments on my introduction; it means a lot to hear them.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Welcome from a fellow Virginian. I'm here in central Virginia, and don't have far to drive to get into the country. It's beautiful in the foot hills of the Shenandoah Mountains.
    I really do love living here. I can't see myself anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by satinprincess
    What sorts of older games are you into? I really love Commander Keen, Zelda, Doom, that sort of thing... And what languages do you know?
    Well I don't really play them that much, I just kind of like the history. I have a soft spot from my childhood for the SNES and Yoshi's Island though.

And I have a Commodore 64 with tons of games and stuff (instruction manuals, catalogs, etc.) in a box... that I got *for free* from my aunt who got it at a yard sale and didn't want it. I was younger when I got it but now I see how awesome a deal that was.

I just like reading old gaming magazines and news (and videos of old games) and taking a look at what was so amazing then is just a drop in the bucket now. It's fascinating to see with a different perspective what amazed me so much when I was little.

Pirate games also are fun to look up (like NES or Genesis games that're usually Chinese-developed and rip stuff from other games).

So I'm not really a gamer, more like a gamer-historian :P

As for the languages, I mainly study Japanese; I've been at it for probably 3 years now. I'm not as good as I should be though because I can't stop being lazy. I take Spanish in school and I've tried to study it on my own but it seems like I can't get started with it as easily.

I pretty much just binge and purge with languages (weird, that). I'll find one I want to study, try to, and lose interest fast. Then I'll see it again and want to try it again. I have a lot I want to learn but I don't think I have the dedication.

Thanks again.