Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: When you know you're out of control

Default When you know you're out of control

I have to finally say something about this.

The furry fandom is great, sure; and I can understand some people choose to have it as their lifestyle and others it's just a hobby. What I don't understand is this: Why do furries who choose to have this lifestyle, always "act it out" in public? To me...this is unacceptable. Publicly and socially it's just awkward. A good example would be if you're wearing a dog tag or collar while out in public, for me, that's just ugh....one of the things that really make me think that people are viewing the furry fandom as negative. One, you have people wearing collars, etc., while going to a restaurant for example.....why? Do you honestly have to wear a collar while going out? I wouldn't be got dead in one...

I'm not trying to bash anyone for having it as a lifestyle, the main point is, I just had a not so great experience meeting someone in the fandom...and I just can't associate with people who act that way outside of the fandom...there is a time and place for being/acting furry, and that's why they have conventions, c'mon.
    Last edited by HuskyRye; 05-Dec-2009 at 06:01. Reason: fix

its no different than someone having a pacifier around their neck, most people wont even notice, and the ones that do will just think "those kids and their weird ways"

LilLillyKitten

I've walked around wearing my tail, lol; it's amazing that so few people notice something so obvious... (I've only done it like... once, and that was because I didn't feel like carrying it for a mile.)

pamperchu

I want everyone to dress as they want. Sometimes I go out in my bunny suit or have blues clues overalls on. If you want to were a tail or collar at our Portland furry lunch meet go for it. The staff love it and it may even make people happy.

I would so wear my tail and ears when I get them and frankly if someone has a problem with it they can respectfully come up to me and aske me to take them off if they do then heck yeah I'll take them off It isn't like I gonna sit here and say no you low down piece of human sludge. if someone hasa problem with it they can tell me and i'll fix it.

Jeffy

Used to wear my tail and ears in public. It's gotten me a few good conversations and got me a few phone numbers as well ;3

I got my friend a dog collar for Christmas once. It was before I knew much about the furries, I got it for him because we had a joke how he always followed me around like a dog. Well, that kid was madly in love with me (which I knew) so he was compelled to wear it all the time. He kept a count on how many people barked at him which got up to 25 one day. He stopped wearing it after a week just because it got boring. I don't see anything wrong with that really. I think you can go over the top where you are causing a distracting to others (like wearing a bulky fur suite around) but there is nothing wrong with a collar/tail/ears. If people are overly bothered/distracted by something as little as that then there's something wrong with that person, not with you.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyRye View Post

The furry fandom is great, sure; and I can understand some people choose to have it as their lifestyle and others it's just a hobby. What I don't understand is this: Why do furries who choose to have this lifestyle, always "act it out" in public? To me...this is unacceptable. Publicly and socially it's just awkward. A good example would be if you're wearing a dog tag or collar while out in public, for me, that's just ugh....one of the things that really make me think that people are viewing the furry fandom as negative. One, you have people wearing collars, etc., while going to a restaurant for example.....why? Do you honestly have to wear a collar while going out? I wouldn't be got dead in one...

I'm not trying to bash anyone for having it as a lifestyle, the main point is, I just had a not so great experience meeting someone in the fandom...and I just can't associate with people who act that way outside of the fandom...there is a time and place for being/acting furry, and that's why they have conventions, c'mon.
    i wear a dog collar all the time, becaus it compliments my gothic attire, and it just so happens i'm a furry. it's self expression man, accept it

Isn't that the same as a goth wearing skull clothes and make-up? Or a skater having long hair or wearing ripped jeans? It's just free expression and clothing. But it does become a hinderance when you force your lifestyle on others, such as when an adult baby messing their diaper in public or a skater riding their skateboards recklessly through crowds, both are annoying.

It's not acting it out, its dressing how we want to. I have wore my tail and collar in public, just like i have wore ugly shoes, nice shirts, and diapers in public (under pants of course) it's just something we (furry's) like to wear. I would agree wearing a furrsuit and chasing cars down the road is "unacceptable" but not tails, ears, and a collar, to me thats like saying it's unacceptable to wear diapers as an adult.

P.s not to be mean but even if some one asked me to take off my tail/ears or/and collar i would just say "no", unless i was in like a business place or restaurant, movie theater, etc. and it was an employ or manager that told me to