Thread: Gotta love tech support... LOL!!!!

Lightbulb Gotta love tech support... LOL!!!!

The, the other night I was just getting ready to Log Off my phone at work and I had my finger on the button and got a call.. I was thinking well this is no problem I can get this guy off the phone in 10 minutes and go home .. Well the guy was calling because his laptop would not connect to the internet wirelessly. I had the guy go through troubleshooting steps for about 45 minutes and decided that we needed to do a FFR on the computer ( Full Format and Recovery ) Because the computer would see the networks, would actually connect to them, but it would only load 1/4th of the page and then it would pop up and tell him Internet Explorer could not display this page... in case your wondering, the connection worked find on ethernet.. Well.. We were about to finish backing up this guys data when all of a sudden he says, well I don't know what we did but it is working now.. I asked him what he did and he told me the only thing he did was take his hat off.. Well what kind of hat are you wearin sir? Uhh its made of tinfoil because they are trying to steal my signals ( they being a racist word I wont repeat ) and then the guy asks for a manager.. I explain the guy I would be happy to get a manager on the line and he says OK so I put the guy on hold and get a manager on the line.. I was about to transfer him to the manager and then he says.. no I dont want to speak with the manager anymore.. I dont like his name.. Then he says.. nevermind.. and starts screaming and disconnect...
    at this point is 1 in the morning and were closing... LOL.. btw, i usually get off around 11...

gotta love it lol

It almost sounds like it was a prank call type of issue. If not, then that was one weird guy!

No.. This guy called back today... I did not get him but the guy across the aisle from me did..
    He was calling about the exact same issue.

did you let the guy across from you know that the tin hat was blocking the signal?

My favorite call just before closing was the day before Thanksgiving a couple years back. I was stuck on that call for about 2 hours after closing.

My favorite crazy caller was from Alaska - totally separate issue. The guy called in for help. About halfway through the call he starts coughing more and more. I finally said he could put the phone down and go get some water or something and I'd be able to keep working with no problems since I was remoted into system. He then told me he was in Alaska, in his van, with a generator running IN THE VAN WITH HIM. The area he was in was remote and there was no other power their except for the generator. I told him to get the hell out of there before he killed himself. He had no idea he was poisoning himself.

Tech support can be rather interesting.

late night tech support, where hi-tech meets no (or low) life.

What's that ma'am your wireless mouse won't work... lets stick that recovery cd in, you will loose all your data....... after it's done still does not work. "oh did you replace the batteries?"

my favorite from the dial-up days..... "ok, are we talking on the phone that is connected to the computer, we are... ok, unhook all the cords from the back of the computer" CLICK.... mission accomplished

Quote Originally Posted by diapernh View Post
    my favorite from the dial-up days..... "ok, are we talking on the phone that is connected to the computer, we are... ok, unhook all the cords from the back of the computer" CLICK.... mission accomplished
    Hahaha. I've seen this happen at work before. It was more like a user contacted us through live chat and it is just after closing now so the lines are closed. The rep wasn't thinking and tells the user to restart. Bye-bye connection with no hope to connect back to us again.

Quote Originally Posted by link View Post
    It almost sounds like it was a prank call type of issue. If not, then that was one weird guy!
    Nope, I have gotten doozy calls like this before. I had a lady who couldnt connect to her wireless, I asked her no less than 5 times if she had the card turned on, which she said it was. We went through the whole list of issues, and two hours later, she realized her wireless was off.
    Some people shouldn't breed or touch technology

Quote Originally Posted by link View Post
    did you let the guy across from you know that the tin hat was blocking the signal?
    He thought I was joking until I IM'ed him the case notes.. He started laughing so hard we had to escalate the customer to a manager.. The manager had the customer take his hat off and explained to the customer about tinfoil hats and bad wifi signals.. lol

Yikes! I'm so sorry you had to deal with tinfoil hat guy. That sounds miserable. Whenever I've called in to tech support, I've always gotten a great response, and I guess it's because I actually know what I'm talking about, and I don't yell at people.

I haven't worked in tech support, but I have helped people I know with their computers. some people just don't understand... I had a relative who thought the proper way to restart the computer was to press the reset button. Couldn't figure out why she was having problems.