Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on purchasing a laptop...

Default Advice on purchasing a laptop...

Currently Looking for a High performance laptop, found two possible matches that I can't decide between...

Toshiba

ASUS

Which should I get?

P.S. Feel free to suggest another possiblity!(As long as it's not out of the 700-1000$ range by alot)
    Last edited by Eulogy; 04-Dec-2009 at 01:17. Reason: Fixing Links.

I would say Asus. Fricken awesome company in my opinion. Although I have not actually owned a Toshiba. Oh... and if you want to fork out an extra 150 bucks more... you can get:

I think everything is the same except you get 6gb of Ram and 500gb of hardrive space. If you are interested I will find the link for you. It is at bestbuy.

I own it and it is amazing.

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

Oh Nevermind... also this: the Video Memory is DDR3 not DDR2 and also the Graphic card is GTX 260m (nvidia of course) and not gt 220m.

How about a MacBook, They rock and a half and if you get a refurb, just as good as new, from apple, you could go as low as like 650 dollars, but you got to watch diligently, thats what I would buy... I don't like Asus, Toshiba are really durable, and a great company...

Quote Originally Posted by pistachio62 View Post
    How about a MacBook, They rock and a half and if you get a refurb, just as good as new, from apple, you could go as low as like 650 dollars, but you got to watch diligently, thats what I would buy... I don't like Asus, Toshiba are really durable, and a great company...
    Mac=Half the stuff and twice the price. And the fact that they lie a lot does not help.
    Yes they can get viruses, And so can your Ipoot. Oh, and they do just the same shit as windows.

I'd in my honest opinion go with a Dell, Toshiba(They are a good one.), Or an HP. I would really suggest not getting an ACER or an ASUS. And get win7. It's better then mac IMHO And I hate windows. (Bad experiences with both win98-winXP) Buy from the sites Like HP/dell/Acer/toshiba. You can normaly custumize your laptops hardwear that way.

I myself am waiting for a dedicated linux company to start up and start getting games (like L4D/COD/WOW) made for there systems.

Please don't lie to the man Valerye... Macs do get viruses, but they are so rare that the chances of getting one is so small, plus with snow leopard (recently released) it scans everything before opening it, so no macs really cant get viruses... Okay, next, They have half the hardware failures of any cheaply made pc, and most last up to 5 years, and can run the newest operating system, unlike windows, you have to but a new comp to get the new opperating system to work correctly... If you deal with big files, OS X moves files 3x as fast as windows, and the little timer doesn't constantly lie, and every part of the comp is pretty much covered under warranty. So if it does break from a hardware failure, they give you a new one all together, tell me one PC company that does that. All of apples stuff is worth the money in quality, and to tell you the truth its the way to go if you want a computer to last... Macs rule and don't be upset Valerye becasue you cant afford one or use one, there my point... Oh yeah, missed something, 7 hour battery life, you cant get a notebook with a battery life like that under 1500 on a PC...

Gotta throw another shout out for Toshiba. I know of 6 Toshiba laptops that are rock solid that I, my family and friends own. Mine is 5 years old and though the battery life is sucking, It still does anything I ask it to do (except bring me a cold beer). I will have another Toshiba when the time comes.

Mesmerale

From the specs point of view, the Toshiba is the better option.

On Newegg, it's the same price, and you get 2 more GB of Ram, and 160 GB more HDD space.

Reliability-wise, I really can't say, since I haven't had much experience with either companies.

The Toshiba is being sold at the listed price on the Toshiba website, and the warranties probably aren't horrible..

I'd also suggest checking around the Dell website. You can get some decent laptops customized there, and they can be fairly cheap, especially if you're lurking around in the "Small Business" section of the site, since all the laptops there seem to have pretty good "Business" discounts, simply because they're in that section.

pamperchu

Do not get any extended warranties.

Just gonna get the Toshiba, reviewed the hardware a little more in depth...

2gb more RAM in exchange for .4ghz core bus on the proccessor is a trade I'll take...

Also: I'd get it from Toshibadirect.com(Their custom store), but they charge about 1400$ for the same specs as that, Newegg must've bought a bulk order of those for a lower price(and did a good job with the specs!)

Edit: Thanks for posting folks!