Page 1 of 35 12345112131 ... LastLast

Thread: A warning to all american gun owners, and all freedom loving Americans in general

Default A warning to all american gun owners, and all freedom loving Americans in general

Fellow American Gun Owners:

I feel it's my duty to share this little tidbit that has gone under the radar, it is our government, OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS, chipping away at our freedoms yet again. All of us who own a gun are going to be rudely surprised come tax time. It seems the Obama administration has slipped in a little known provision in the Tax Code requiring ALL gun owners to pay an additional tax of $50 per gun on their tax return, or possibly face fines, jail time or a loss of our right to own a gun or all three.

This is the work of Obama, Pelosi, Reid and the other Democrats in government, please send the message that taking our freedoms has never been, nor is now in any way shape or form acceptable. This is chipping away at our freedoms piece by piece, and I just felt it's my duty to make sure that all of you are aware of this. Yesterday, they came for our money, today our guns.... I'm afraid of what they will take tomorrow and you should be too.

Anything that reduces the amount of guns out there is a good idea imo. People are far more likely to shoot themselves or their kids hurt themselves than they are ever to need a gun to defend themselves.

Fewer guns would mean far less deaths.

Basically this would make it illegal to own a firearm - any rifle with a clip or ANY pistol unless:

-It is registered -You are fingerprinted -You supply a current Driver's License -You supply your Soci al Security # -You will submit to a physical & mental evaluation at any time of their choosing -Each update - change of ownership through private or public sale must be reported and costs $25 - Failure to do so you automatically lose the right to own a firearm and are subject up to a year in jail. -There is a child provision clause on page 16 section 305 stating a child-access provision. Gun must be locked and inaccessible to any child under 18. -They would have the right to come and inspect that you are storing your gun safely away from accessibility to children and fine is punishable for up to 5 yrs. In prison.
    Yo, how's that bad? it just seems like common sense to me....
    And I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in there that they wanted to take your guns away.

The tax does seem rather pointless, though.
    But I don't see them taking away any freedoms here.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    It's real. http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/blairholt.asp

Quote Originally Posted by fifigal View Post
    Definitely! Hopefully we've managed to freeze this juggernaut in its tracks before it can gain momentum.

The point is the language is there. It wouldn't exist if it hadn't been written and the attack on personal freedom here is obvious. And even according to Snopes, which I don't generally quote, I did look up my sources prior to posting.

Looking at the snopes article, it seems the quote Ace posted is a bit misleading in some areas:

-The bill does not require applicants to submit to a mental and physical evaluation. Instead, they have to authorize the release of any existing mental health records. Simple enough; if you're crazy, you can't have a gun.

-"They would have the right to come and inspect that you are storing your gun safely away from accessibility to children and fine is punishable for up to 5 yrs. In prison." This only applies to places such as gun shops and factories. It has nothing to do with ordinary households.

This is just a way to keep track of who has what guns, to get a foothold in the door of the illegal gun trade.

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    It wouldn't exist if it hadn't been written and the attack on personal freedom here is obvious.
    The bill was written in 2007, after Chicago student Blair Holt was fatally shot on a school bus from a gang-related attack. Illinois Rep Bobby Rush promised to introduce a strong gun-tracking bill in Blair's honour. He introduced it to Congress, but he got the go-around, and it was ignored after being referred to a sub-comittee. Blair re-wrote the bill and introduced it again to congress on Junuary 6th, 2009. It does not appear to be an attack on personal freedom.

I don't see any freedom-taking there. the premise is simple:
    You have to provide sufficient ID to buy a gun
    You have to get a permit to own a handgun
    You have to keep it locked up away from anyone under the age of 18
    You have to take a test regarding the safe handling of guns, as well as gun-responsibility

This is all pretty much standard in Canada.

Again, it's another restriction on freedom. Some of you may be familiar with the story of the frog and the boiling water (it has a better title, but I don't know what it is)

Here's the metaphor that I will use to explain my reason for posting this, if you drop a frog into a pot of boiling water, it will scald him and his reflexes will force him to jump out immediately, leaving the frog mostly unharmed. If you put a frog in a pot of cold water, and slowly heat it to boiling, the frog will not react, and thus will die.

What I am saying, is that is what is happening here in America. We are being taxed into submission and the gun thing is only ONE piece of the pie. Don't re-distribute my wealth, re-distribute my work ethic. Don't take my guns, they saved me from being a victim of a crime in the past. For all you law-abiding people out there, a gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone, plain and simple.

Also, we already have thousands of gun laws on the books. Should we keep them out of hands of the mentally unstable and criminals, how about enforcing what we have, not make new ones. Especially NOT a tax on law abiding gun owners. For the tax on gun owners, that was not intended to be it's own bill, as I believe is being misconstrued, rather it is being designed as an amendment to an existing bill, therefore largely enacted by government bureaucrats.

What I am saying, is that is what is happening here in America. We are being taxed into submission and the gun thing is only ONE piece of the pie. Don't re-distribute my wealth, re-distribute my work ethic.
    Fair enough. I'm arguing from one place because I don't know all the details because I'm not american.

Don't take my guns, they saved me from being a victim of a crime in the past. For all you law-abiding people out there, a gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone, plain and simple.
    This bill does nothing to restrict people from carrying their guns with them, from what I can see.

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Yocky View Post
    Just wait, sooner or later our great leader, the mighty Barack Hussein Obama will take away your guns. The Firearm Confiscation Squads will soon be trained, and they will soon appear in your neighborhood.

Sometime in the near future, one of these squads will show up at your door. They will greet you with: "Hello! We are one of the Great Leader Obama's Firearm Confiscation Squads. We have come to bring you Hope and Change by taking your guns away. Heil Obama!"
    They will then proceed to search your house and remove any firearms. Do not attempt to fight them; they will be heavily armed. It is a criminal offense to resist a Firearm Confiscation Squad, and if you attempt to resist, you will promptly be arrested and hauled off to one of our Great Leader Obama's reeducation camps.

The days of gun ownership in America will soon be over, as a new era of Hope and Change dawns on our nation! All hail our Great Leader, Barack Hussein Obama!
    Please don't do that. This is so far a very respectful discussion, and posting crap like that will just screw everything up. Even if it's just a joke, it still has no place here.