Thread: Need help coming up with a topic

Gone

Default Need help coming up with a topic

Hi guys, I need to have some help with coming up with a Persuasive Speech for speech class at my school. I was wondering what you guys think I should do some of my ideas are: why we should not have main political parties, why we need net-neutrality,why gay marriage should be legal.
    Im looking for some other ideas and I was hoping you guys could help me come up with a topic by suggesting some topics.

Net neutrality is a current topic that has a strong Pro-Con component that would be easy to build a persuasive speech around. Your strongest speech will be about a topic that you are genuinely interested in. It is easier to persuade others if you feel passionate about the topic at hand, as long as it's rational! Your interest/ passion will show in your body language, audience engagement and in other ways that will reinforce your message. (referred to as non-verbal communication)

I would stay away from the political and religious (including gay marriage) areas because they are topics that can evoke a strong response, not always in your favor. You have to know your intended audience (your teacher mainly, and classmates)VERY well before venturing into highly controversial topics.

MY suggestion? Pick something you can have fun with, and are interested in.

You're 14, so.... If you use gay mairrage, you will probly be made fun of... That's really no fun.

You should do one on global warming. Or the proof that unicorns are real. Make it entertainig! But only if unicorns are allowed.....

Gone

Quote Originally Posted by Me :p View Post
    You're 14, so.... If you use gay mairrage, you will probly be made fun of... That's really no fun.

You should do one on global warming. Or the proof that unicorns are real. Make it entertainig! But only if unicorns are allowed.....
    Actually most of my school knows Im gay and Ive never really encountered a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Snap View Post
    I would stay away from the political and religious (including gay marriage) areas because they are topics that can evoke a strong response, not always in your favor. You have to know your intended audience (your teacher mainly, and classmates)VERY well before venturing into highly controversial topics.
    Our teacher wants us mainly to work on controversial subjects some past topics other student have done include abortion, stem cell research, the death penalty, etc.

Health care. Obama. Overseas relations. Afghan war. Lady Gaga. Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by young4ever View Post
    Our teacher wants us mainly to work on controversial subjects some past topics other student have done include abortion, stem cell research, the death penalty, etc.
    Since you identify as gay, (sorry that really sounds clinical) topics such as hate crime legislation, the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy, and gay couples adopting children in your state are areas you could look at. If you don't want to go that way, look at environmental issues ( is nuclear energy really that bad? or HEY! Cloth diapers may not be the right answer for the environment!) or using genetically modified grains to feed poor countries.

What are YOU interested in?

in case you do end up using gay marriage as your topic...

The 2009 BBC Reith Lectures with Michael Sandel had a very interesting episode that discussed the moral, political, religious and social aspects of the gay marriage debate.

BBC - BBC Radio 4 Programmes - The Reith Lectures, The Reith Lectures 2009, Morality in Politics