Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22-11-09 TG memorial day

Default 22-11-09 TG memorial day

as the title suggests yesterday was transgender day of memorial, a rememberence to all transgendered persons killed in haterful attacks over the course of the year

just thought id share this with everyone

well wadda you know... 1000 posts as of this.

Mesmerale

Yay for me!

But yeah, it sucks. Other than that, I don't particularly like "Remembrance Days". It's just dwelling on the past, and let's people who don't do shit feel as if they're good people. They tell themselves that by "observing" this day, they're helping all the people out there getting beaten and killed, but they aren't.

In my opinion, we should stop dwelling on the past and start looking at the present and future. If a person wants to help, go find someone getting beaten now and save them. The people in the past are already dead, the people now still have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesmerale View Post
    Yay for me!

But yeah, it sucks. Other than that, I don't particularly like "Remembrance Days". It's just dwelling on the past, and let's people who don't do shit feel as if they're good people. They tell themselves that by "observing" this day, they're helping all the people out there getting beaten and killed, but they aren't.

In my opinion, we should stop dwelling on the past and start looking at the present and future. If a person wants to help, go find someone getting beaten now and save them. The people in the past are already dead, the people now still have a chance.
    I agree 100%! Yes it's sad that it happend but I hate when people preach rememberance for stuff like 9/11 and simaler tragets. Yes, it's sad it happend but there comes a time were you need to move on.

I disagree: remembering the past helps us inform the present. Our knowledge is based upon our knowledge of the past not our knowledge of the future. Also, the deaths of innocent people are always tragic and I think it is shameful to say that we should simply 'move on' from that. Tragedy is worth remarking upon and remembering even if you cannot see the direct impact it will have on the world around you.

Plus, I think the suggestion to find someone getting beaten now is at best wildly impractical.

There are six billion people on this planet. Chances are at least one of them is getting their ass kicked right now.
    I agree with you on your remembering comment. Every sentient thing in this world makes mistakes and hopefully learns from them too.

A day that commemorates this is important to assure the issues with the ongoing conflicts of TG acceptance and its consequences in society and how this can further recognize and eliminate discrimination of TGs. Isn't it also 46 years to the day that JFK got shot? Just curious.

I heard a report today on Public Radio, statistics from the FBI saying that hate crimes were up by 10%. I guess that would be in the U. S. I just don't understand hate crimes. Most of the violence was against homosexuals, lesbians and transgendered individuals, according to the broadcast. I suspect that the conservative evangelical church combined with the political right has contributed to an atmosphere of fear and hate. Churches and politicians sure know how to use religion to advance their agenda of violence.

Mesmerale

Quote Originally Posted by Rosy View Post
    I disagree: remembering the past helps us inform the present. Our knowledge is based upon our knowledge of the past not our knowledge of the future. Also, the deaths of innocent people are always tragic and I think it is shameful to say that we should simply 'move on' from that. Tragedy is worth remarking upon and remembering even if you cannot see the direct impact it will have on the world around you.

Plus, I think the suggestion to find someone getting beaten now is at best wildly impractical.
    m'kay.. You're right in the sense that remembering the past is important. But what I'm saying is that dwelling on the past is not.

I agree with you that the deaths of innocent people is tragic, and that simply 'moving on' isn't what should be done. This was my error in wording.

What I meant was not that people should 'move on' in the sense that they forget about the tragic act, or the person, but rather that they allow themselves to look forward, and realize that there are more productive ways to help the people who still need help.

And that last line of mine was an exaggeration. The message I meant to convey was that there is something that a person can do that would do more good than to just sit around going, "Those poor transgendered kids..." As for actually hunting down a kid getting beaten and saving them? You're right, that's pretty unlikely.

Error404

As a daddy of three adorable TGs, I actually think this day is at the very best, daft.

Why have a memorial day dedicated to an alternative lifestyle/personal choice?

It's like saying "Let's have a day to remember those who liked to wear the color green."

It's very unproductive really and just an excuse to promote the lifestyle.