Thread: Got your diaper washed by hotel staff?

Default Got your diaper washed by hotel staff?

Has anybody ever had their cloth diapers washed or laundered by hotel staff?

Not me but I met someone who did... He tipped them well... they raised no questions. Chambermaids have seen it all, trust me.

Why would they wash your clothes for you ?

I've been in some fancy hotels, and I've never had them do my laundry for me.

I've never done it myself, but a good number of hotels will in fact do your laundry for you, sometimes there's a bag in the closet for this, or you call concierge for it. I'm 99.9% sure that it is NOT a free service, and considering that it seems like getting a cup of coffee from room service is like $15, I can only imagine what it would cost to have them do your laundry.

I work in the hotel industry, very few hotels do their own laundry. All of the hotels that I have worked in outsource their laundry. Guests put their clothes in the bag in the closet, and give it to the hotel staff. The laundry company usually puts "unmentionables" in a box or another bag, the hotel staff never sees anything.

Thanks for the comments.

I travel a lot for work, and sometimes I am away for so long that I have my laundry done by the hotel. I've always been taking disposables when traveling, but am considering cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by mattk226 View Post
    I work in the hotel industry, very few hotels do their own laundry. All of the hotels that I have worked in outsource their laundry. Guests put their clothes in the bag in the closet, and give it to the hotel staff. The laundry company usually puts "unmentionables" in a box or another bag, the hotel staff never sees anything.
    Indeed! If for example, you have gender specific clothes that don't exactly match your gender in the laundry bag, none of the hotel staff seems the wiser. I'd assume it's the same way with diapers... just be sure to rinse them out first

Quote Originally Posted by onikitsune View Post
    Indeed! If for example, you have gender specific clothes that don't exactly match your gender in the laundry bag, none of the hotel staff seems the wiser. I'd assume it's the same way with diapers... just be sure to rinse them out first
    This.

A little off topic. If you go on the road with cloth diapers and covers, get a "wet bag". This is essentially a waterproof sack to be used as a portable diaper pail. Most cloth diaper sites have them. Put your used diapers in the sack. See cloth diaper sites for different suggestions for what to do about soiled versus wet diapers. Every one to three days, you'll have to go to a nearby coin laundry. Toss everything in a (small, 35lb) washer. Set to hot, heavy soil (so you get a pre-wash). 30 minutes later, in the coin dryer for about 30-40 minutes. Depending on how many dipes per day you are using. If you are like me; overnight only, every three days. I carry two extra dipes to carry over wash day and for backup. Adult dipes are BIG. You will have and extra suitcase with you. Hope the TSA doesn't inspect that one at the airport check in! Plastic pants can just be wiped off with a damp washcloth and hung in the bathroom. They will dry during the day, so two or three pairs will do. I'd love to hear from some actual hotel or airport folks as to what they have seen!