Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being my own Barbra Walters

Default Being my own Barbra Walters

Right! So on the on.

I play a lot of fucking instruments, not just drums and guitars, but cellos, piano, and sitars(among other ethnic instruments) and on and on as well. That said i guess you assume II'm some sort of composer/studio guy, that would be THE proper assumption. I enjoy tons of art, that said i currently think that post-modernism(in a fine arts sense) is a crock of shit developed by people with some sort internal excuse that keeps them from developing technique. Almost all of the people i've met who practice it, aren't artists anymore. I guess i just don't see how geometric bullshit relates to the internal organic nature of beauty aside from polarizing it.
    And now for a bit of word play: instead of saying the tired "opinions are like assholes" thing, I'm just going to reword it for my purpose: "Everyone has an opinion, asshole!" Oh the harmonious nature of a world with no absolutes.

Given my interest in art and music, I am usually pretty indiscriminate as far as genres and periods are concerned, i tend to love dark things though not exclusively at all. Not "dark" as in "monsters" and torture...a more stagnant, frozen, pungent "dark" more like Witkin(Joel Peter). Note I also like a good Rembrandt.

I'm not sure how i feel about discussing my habits or "at home" behavior at this point, so I'm not going to get into the whole ...you know...purpose of this site just yet....but i'd have to say I'm more of a "me" than an "ab" or "dl" which sadly some of you forget the former option far too often, which is why i usually keep my hands clean as far as "interacting with the community". This website seems to perhaps be an burning ember that seems to eschew proverbial "fire" that are the illiterate sect of this community. Prove me right.

j'adore...

You know, it isn't too often I make posts on greetings. Usually I think to myself, "If they're going to hang around, they're going to hang around regardless of what I say, or they're going to beat feet."

Because your greeting was interesting, telling, and eschewed all the normal infantilism bullshit that I find boring to talk about, it caught my eye.

As a fellow musician myself (I don't consider myself to be very talented; I let the computers take care of that part), I wanted to welcome you. I like to think you'll find some good conversation and plenty of tomfoolery to suit you.

Welcome!

Thanks for the kind words Dawes. I'm assuming that in order to maintain your professional identity you don't reveal your band or your stage name. Do you find it discouraging that you can never show your music to your virtual peers on this bbs? My public profile is a bit too high for me to share said music or aliases. I have been considering, if all goes well, to perhaps make a specifically tailored piece to anonymously to share. What are your thoughts?

Error404

Quote Originally Posted by pacified View Post
    Thanks for the kind words Dawes. I'm assuming that in order to maintain your professional identity you don't reveal your band or your stage name. Do you find it discouraging that you can never show your music to your virtual peers on this bbs? My public profile is a bit too high for me to share said music or aliases. I have been considering, if all goes well, to perhaps make a specifically tailored piece to anonymously to share. What are your thoughts?
    You have my curiosity now, maybe you'd share some of your music with me in PM at some point? Then I can like, be your first stalker! Wouldn't that just be the ABSOLUTE BEST?

Perhaps you'd at least share what genre of music you best fit?

Asher

I play a lot of fucking instruments, not just drums and guitars, but cellos, piano, and sitars(among other ethnic instruments) and on and on as well.
    The "f" word immediately caught my eye haha! Great introduction sir; have to agree with Dawes on the fact that your post was quite interesting, and I found it entertaining

Welcome to ADISC man; I hope you enjoy the site, and if you ever have any questions, feel free to ask

A good question!

Luckily enough, I'm just a local musician, and my band and I have been on hiatus for awhile now. While we're getting things back together for live gigs, it's still a slow-going process!

I've never been too frightened of any kind of backlash associated with my identity in the band as potentially linked to my Internet activity. I've posted songs under the band name up here before and have never experienced any kind of negative reception. My thoughts are, anybody who searches deep enough to find content on here is either a) working too hard, b) being potentially too critical, or c) has enough of their own secrets to want to hide.

Then again, I'm not a professional musician either, and with the kind of music we perform (electronic / industrial), I doubt any kind of notable success will rear its head for us in the future!

As for keeping a low profile, I think that all comes down to a personal decision. Protecting your identity here while sharing your music here with fellow forum-members is just in your future. With further activity and presence here, you'll eventually gain access to a specifically private portion of the forum that isn't traceable through search engines.

I don't think we're supposed to say that, but eh!

What kind of music do you play, pacified?

Hey, something more interesting than ususal! And a musician as well! I'd rep you, but I don't think I'm allowed. Whatever. Welcome and such... my generic intro of "enjoy the forums" probably won't matter a whole lot you judging by that post of yours, so I'll just say that you seem like the kind of person it would interesting to have around and that it's always nice to have another person who the sound of their own voice... that's a compliment dude.

Also,

Quote Originally Posted by Dawes View Post
    ... As a fellow musician myself (I don't consider myself to be very talented; I let the computers take care of that part)...
    That's the saddest thing I've read in days.

You've only posted twice and I like you already.

I'm a musician too. Kind of. I play guitar, sing a bit. Nothing too serious. I've never been in a band, because the kind of music I play is mostly solo stuff. I'm not too good either, but meh, my artistic niche is theatre.

There is really no such thing as talent in art, only hard work. Even 5 year old prodigies are only taught to be "talented" by means of their obsessive parents...Computers are essential to industrial and electronic music, just because you have no instrumental skills, does not mean you aren't very skilled in your niche. Modesty is one thing, but throwing around words like "talent" is another. If you like to do what you do...consider yourself talented, because that will power or "drive" will inevitably make you more proficient at whatever your objective is. No excuses, just hard work.

Welcome to the site from another professional musician. I have my degree in organ performance and am a church musician. I played in a rock band for 15 years, though I had to retire. My back gave out, moving all the equipment. I'm still out there on the net. We have played for big events, crowds of 20,000 and one time Dave Mathews was in our audience. I still play in church both on keyboards, piano and organ. Lots of fun. So I think you're in good company on this site.

Like you intro demonstrated, as members, we are so much more than just diapers. That's why this site is as good as it is.