Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: rectal thermometer?

Default rectal thermometer?

Back when I was really little if you wanted to take a baby's temperature you would take it rectally. It was the safest way. Parents would use mercury thermometers as that was what was around at the time and would have it in there for quite a while to make sure that it was the right one. Does anyone know where you can lay your hands on one nowadays?

I don't believe mercury thermometers are available any more...but rectal thermometers can be purchased in most pharmacies...if not with the rest of the thermometers (you have to look closely to see if it says rectal or oral)...try in the baby care aisle.

Tigger

Mercury thermometers are still available, but it's no better than using an alcohol thermometer. I don't know where you'd be able to get either though, as they're mostly digital now. The most accurate temperature you can get is from the ear, so it'd be best to get one of those ear ones like they have at the hospitals if you can get one. Unless you get off on havin one up ur butt, then yeah, I dunno lol...

Wouldn't the alarm kinda bug ya though if you have the digital one? I don't really know what I'd feel never tried it before.

Maybe you should stick to women?

Had to say it, sorry, you set it up perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by ayanna View Post
    (you have to look closely to see if it says rectal or oral)...try in the baby care aisle.
    There is a visual difference. I believe the rectal ones have a more rounded, blunt bulb whereas oral ones have a bit longer slender bulb. The rectal ones can also be used under the arm by adding 1 deg. F. to the reading.

Ayanna, this brings up a good side question. Do any countries use a celsius thermometer for body temperature readings?

~Pramrider

We use Celsius here; it'd be kinda silly not to when everything else is

Isn't mercury highly poisonous?
    Why would you want to insert something containing highly poisonous substances into your body?

Why not stick with a much safer digital thermometer instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Moo View Post
    Isn't mercury highly poisonous?
    Why would you want to insert something containing highly poisonous substances into your body?

Why not stick with a much safer digital thermometer instead?
    Exactly. The slightest movements can cause the thermometer to break and you can get mercury poisoning. There's no cure and it's a slow and painful death.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia article on Mercury (element)
    Mercury and most of its compounds are extremely toxic and are generally handled with care; in cases of spills involving mercury (such as from certain thermometers or fluorescent light bulbs) specific cleaning procedures are used to avoid toxic exposure. It can be inhaled and absorbed through the skin and mucous membranes, so containers of mercury are securely sealed to avoid spills and evaporation. Heating of mercury, or compounds of mercury that may decompose when heated, is always carried out with adequate ventilation in order to avoid exposure to mercury vapor. The most toxic forms of mercury are its organic compounds, such as dimethylmercury and methylmercury.
    Glass breaks easily. Mercury can kill. I have no idea why it was used in thermometers in the first place, and with alcohol and digital thermometers, why it's STILL used.

EDIT: An important note about fluorescent lights. They contain mercury vapour, if broken, you could be poisoned.

Reading this article wouldn't be a bad idea, either...