Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The American Red Cross Is Homophobic

Default The American Red Cross Is Homophobic

The Red Cross was at my school today, taking blood. I can't donate any because of some medication that I take, and the sheer fear of needles beneath my skin, but a friend and I were looking at the survey you have to fill out before you can donate any blood.

The thing that struck us was a checkbox that said "I am a man, and have engaged in sexual intercourse with another man." Aparently they won't take your blood if you check this box...

They obviously think everyone that has gay sex had AIDS... I can't see how they would be so stereotypical... Even protected sex qualifies. (one of my friends asked...)

Of course they test your blood for impurities now before it's used.... Do they? If not they should....

What do you think of this?

I have researched this at great lengths and it's not the Red Cross that is making that stipulation. It's the FDA. I first thought it sucked and it does but I'm okay with a bank that I can make all of the withdrawls I want and not make any deposits.

The other messed up thing is that it is only male male contact not female female - go figure.

Canadian Blood Services has the exact same policy, for reasons that baffle me. Their (poor) reasoning behind it is that HIV and AIDS are transmitted in an increased amount through the gay community, and because they can't be 100% sure of their screening tests for diseases in the blood, they just find it safer to reject any man who's ever done a man.

Quote Originally Posted by NikonFilmPhotog View Post
    I have researched this at great lengths and it's not the Red Cross that is making that stipulation. It's the FDA. I first thought it sucked and it does but I'm okay with a bank that I can make all of the withdrawls I want and not make any deposits.

The other messed up thing is that it is only male male contact not female female - go figure.
    They don't say anything about female-female because there is no penetration.

And anyway, they don't let you give if you've had sex for money either. They're just protecting themselves, they're not homophobic.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    They don't say anything about female-female because there is no penetration.

And anyway, they don't let you give if you've had sex for money either. They're just protecting themselves, they're not homophobic.
    I'm not saying that they are homophobic, it would reason that anyone that has participated in receptive sex shouldn't be a donor, the tests may miss a non-gay donor that has HIV/AIDS.

Mako

Last I checked the largest minority with the highest percentage of HIV infection was now african americans. But there would be hell to pay if they had a check box for being african american. And as Nikon pointed out, it's just as likely they could miss the screening through any other person. This assumption enforces a negative and untrue stereotype. It is homophobic, even if not intentionally so.
    Last edited by Mako; 20-Nov-2009 at 05:27.

It's simply protection to make sure they don't have any bad blood, no matter how homophobic or stereotypical it seems. Though all blood goes through screening, there's still that chance of a one-in-a-millionth fluke, and the Red Cross does not want that to happen, because they're afraid of what would happen if someone decided to sue them. Plus, it would give them a bad name. Unfortunately, that means being racist, homophobic, etc...whatever it takes to protect their name. I might not be right on this, but it's my opinion.
    Though, I think that it would be their fault that the bad blood went through and was used; No one else's but their own for being wrong. But if they think that doing this will help reduce this chance...then it sucks, but it has to happen if they say so.

I believe they have the same policy here in New Zealand; it must be a fairly common restriction in a lot of countries?

It does seem pretty stupid, especially since I still wouldn't be allowed to give blood even if I had a STD/STI check first.

Mako

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsukuni View Post
    It's simply protection to make sure they don't have any bad blood, no matter how homophobic or stereotypical it seems. Though all blood goes through screening, there's still that chance of a one-in-a-millionth fluke, and the Red Cross does not want that to happen, because they're afraid of what would happen if someone decided to sue them. Plus, it would give them a bad name. Unfortunately, that means being racist, homophobic, etc...whatever it takes to protect their name. I might not be right on this, but it's my opinion.
    Though, I think that it would be their fault that the bad blood went through and was used; No one else's but their own for being wrong. But if they think that doing this will help reduce this chance...then it sucks, but it has to happen if they say so.
    Their screening process is no more likely to miss homosexuals then it is heterosexuals. It doesn't increase the safety when the flaw is their screening.

The same thing applies in Sweden. It's a stupid rule, but probably more rooted in general prejudice than actual homophobia.