Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Explaining...

Default Explaining...

Theres a reason I tend to get defensive whenever someones says something about weight and exercise...its cause I am alil over, but theres nothing i can really do for it besides the walking I already do.

I have a heart condition and the fact if that even sprinting or drinking some tea causes it to go haywire, so that leaves me at my wits end at times with how to cope...and yes maybe i do get jealous when i see people running..playing or just having coffee or tea and I can't, so i am left on the sidelines wondering...Why me....

I hear you and understand your problem. You know your current health status, you are doing what you can to make the changes YOU want to see, and some people do not consider it good enough.

My co-workers have harrassed me about my weight and running ability, especially when we go out for a run before work. Due to a medical issue with my right knee, I cannot run without pain and usually don't run at all.

My weight has been a sore subject for several years now. According to some chart posted at work, my weight should be below 184 pounds (83.5 kg) and I am normally about 195 pounds (88.5 kg). This should not be an issue! However, several co-workers have shared their concern about my waist being above 33 inches and my weight being above 184 lbs. When I have been lazy and ate unhealthy, my weight has gone up to 200 lbs with my waist line gaining a couple inches. At my most healthy time, I could run 3 miles in 30 minutes with reasonable upper body tone to match. My weight was 195 lbs at that time. I managed 175 pounds back in the winter of 2002-2003 by eating my own cooking and playing Everquest (extremely low calorie diet and no physical activity). At that time, my body was just as healthy and capable as when my waist was at it's highest.

Right now, I am happy with my physical activity, my weight (198 lbs), and my waist (34"). Shockingly enough, my walking speed (13 minute mile) is not much slower than their RUNNING speed (11-12 minute miles). Still, they get pissy about me not running or matching my waist and weight to some stupid chart.

Sometimes, it seems impossible to convince some people that I can manage my own health and that they should worry about more important things such as their own health. I am sorry to hear that you are having the same issue.

Mesmerale

Have you talked to your doctor about what you can do without straining your heart?

I mean, I'm not a doctor at all, I don't know anything about your heart condition, nor heart conditions in general, really, but I feel as if there have to be at least two or three forms of exercise that you can participate in, right?

walking, slow swimming, nothing that would really burn calories

Quote Originally Posted by Fire_lupine06 View Post
    Theres a reason I tend to get defensive whenever someones says something about weight and exercise...its cause I am alil over, but theres nothing i can really do for it besides the walking I already do.

I have a heart condition and the fact if that even sprinting or drinking some tea causes it to go haywire, so that leaves me at my wits end at times with how to cope...and yes maybe i do get jealous when i see people running..playing or just having coffee or tea and I can't, so i am left on the sidelines wondering...Why me....

Indeed, that explains a couple of responses. Sounds like the problem Greg Welch (1994 Ironman winner) developed in the mid-90's. Ended his racing career. I forget the technical name for it but essentially heart rate goes sky high. I'm not sure if I'd miss running or coffee more.....

my resting heart rate stays at around 60...normal is 80-90
    my resting bp is 100/60

What happens is I have what are called PVC's, it means my heart is contracting before its supposed to , causing me to have interrupted beating, and pain. The shaking I have...well i dunno what causes that.

Mesmerale

I thought I heard that you burn the same amount of calories walking as you do running?

not really , you have to do alot more walking for it to even out

Error404

not really , you have to do alot more walking for it to even out
    Actually, it's proven that running isn't actually THAT good for you. Brisk walking or swimming is THE very best for you.

Running puts too much pressure on the body and muscles and you take in less oxygen due to your throat tightening, slowly killing off some cells in parts of your body where such is NOT beneficial. That's why some people get headaches after running. Lack of oxygen to the brain.

On top of that you should try this new form of weight lifting that's catching on. It requires you to lift the weight slow. I mean, extremely slow. Like one minute per rep. You don't work up a sweat at all, but you burn calories and get just as much strength training done as a normal weight lifter would (perhaps more). Obviously ask your doctor first, but I'm just throwing the idea past you.

Quote Originally Posted by Error404 View Post
    Actually, it's proven that running isn't actually THAT good for you. Brisk walking or swimming is THE very best for you.

Running puts too much pressure on the body and muscles and you take in less oxygen due to your throat tightening, slowly killing off some cells in parts of your body where such is NOT beneficial. That's why some people get headaches after running. Lack of oxygen to the brain.
    And the pressure it puts on your knees with every step. yeesh.