Thread: Hard Drive Problem

Default Hard Drive Problem

I have a 500 GB SATA Hard Drive. The problem is that I cant get it to work on my computer. It was working before I reinstalled Windows XP.
    It shows up in the device manger but not in my computer

Did it come with any other discs for drivers? Maybe search online for drivers if it didn't come with any...

Does it show in Disk Management? In Vista/Win7 that's in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management, then an entry on the left of that window, but I'm almost certain it was elsewhere in WinXP... If it's listed in there but not in My Computer, it probably just doesn't have a valid partition, has a corrupt partition table, or something along those lines. Disk Management will let you format it and make it appear, but obviously you'll lose anything currently on it.

If there's stuff on it that you want to keep, you can always try booting into a Linux live CD and mounting it under Linux. That may or may not work, and may or may not fix it to allow Windows to see it again, but you might at least be able to copy stuff off of it before reformatting it.

Alternatively, Windows' recovery console (under WinXP, I think it's only accessible using the Windows install CD; sorry, it's been years since I last used XP...) may help you fix the partition table...

If you can see your hard drive in Disk Management and it says unallocated then you just need to right click and it should say something like new partition or format I can't remeber for sure then just follow instructions and it should appear to my computer.

My guess is that it's driver problem and it sounds strange because you should be able to see it. You could try to remove that hard disk's driver which you can't see in my comp from device manager and then reboot and let windows reinstall your hdd-drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumm View Post
    My guess is that it's driver problem and it sounds strange because you should be able to see it. You could try to remove that hard disk's driver which you can't see in my comp from device manager and then reboot and let windows reinstall your hdd-drivers.

It worked, and everything that was on it is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by baby_mike View Post
    It worked, and everything that was on it is still there.
    I'm happy that it worked.