Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Little Help

Default A Little Help

Well I just came back from a visit with my psychologist and well I am a little concerned. I seem to be having trouble opening up to her. Like she'll ask me something and i'll just barely say anything about it, when in reality I have a lot behind that subject. Did anyone else have this problem? IS it just normal to feel this way around a person you just met?

This is irritating me, since the insurance company will only cover so many visits per year. So, IDK...maybe I am just not made to be able to talk out my problems, maybe I'm not meant to be a happy person.

Also, when I go in there I am just like calm and content, even if 2 hours before I was extremely sad and I like don't talk about anything. Aside from depression, what do you all think is wrong with me? Please answer this if you can, it would help me out a lot.

i had a similiar experience. its hard to open up to anyone, there is always that fear of rejection. Sometimes its just difficult to put abstract thoughts that sound intelligent in your head into equally intelligent sentences when spoken. (my problem )

Dont be afraid though psychologists are there for those very problems. A good pysch. wont judge you their just there to help.

If all else fails it might help to make some kind of paper, essay, or letter or something of the sort so you can open up with out actually having to initiate any kind of akward conversation
    youll also be able to see your thoughts and put them in order and such

I hope that helps
    best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    maybe I'm not meant to be a happy person.
    That's a very stupid thing to think. If you think it enough, it'll become true. Stop thinking.

curiousitykitten

Answer to yourself: when a stranger holds an infant does the infant cry?
    Point being, it does seem normal for you not to open up. Therapists ask difficult things,but if time and insurance is an issue PUSH YOURSELF. You obviously care if your asking us whats "wrong" with you. You can talk to her, your just not pushing hard enough. If you genuinely didn't want to, you wouldn't give it a second thought.

Also, you might be calm and content going there because your used to composing yourself in public around people you don't know very well. Before your next meeting, jot down what you'd like to talk about. On a personal note, I go to the therapist once a month because my mood dissorders and addictive habbits are under control. However, if something strikes me as important I write a paragraph about it and save it for my next appointment. It really helps to put things out on the table...

I hoped this helped. I didn't mean to sound harsh.

Mesmerale

(1) If you were opening yourself up like a book to every person you just met, then you would have a problem.

(2) Forget the insurance companies. Don't bother thinking about how many more visits you have that'll be covered. You aren't going there to get a good use out of your insurance company, you're seeing this woman for help with working out your problems.

(3) For fucks sake, would you please stop with the "destined for despair" crap? I mean, hell, you seem to be a realist, or at least think you are, how's this for realism? You aren't "meant" to be any certain thing in life! You are what you are, and you are in full control of what kind of a person you strive to be. There is nothing, and I repeat nothing in this universe, or outside of it, that is predetermining your personality, future, or happiness in life. Even if you're religious, the first thing that we were ever given as a species (after life), was free will. There isn't anything, or anyone, pre-making our lives.

(4) Why bother going to a psychologist if you're just going to ask us nonprofessional, online, anonymous people who know you just about as well as the psychologist does what's wrong with you? Let your psychologist do her job.

And besides, even if any of us were professional psychologists, it'd be a bad idea to advise anything to you. In the therapeutic psychologies, it is strongly discouraged that a person see more than one psychologist without having them collaborate together.

Edit:

(5) Everything that the people above me said is pretty good too.
    Last edited by Mesmerale; 14-Nov-2009 at 00:07.

I had the same problem with all of the ones I had. It's hard to open up about everything to a person you don't know, but at the same time I think its rewarding if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    Well I just came back from a visit with my psychologist and well I am a little concerned. I seem to be having trouble opening up to her. Like she'll ask me something and i'll just barely say anything about it, when in reality I have a lot behind that subject. Did anyone else have this problem? IS it just normal to feel this way around a person you just met?

This is irritating me, since the insurance company will only cover so many visits per year. So, IDK...maybe I am just not made to be able to talk out my problems, maybe I'm not meant to be a happy person.

Also, when I go in there I am just like calm and content, even if 2 hours before I was extremely sad and I like don't talk about anything. Aside from depression, what do you all think is wrong with me? Please answer this if you can, it would help me out a lot.
    It will take a few visits to establish rapport. As was suggested earlier, it may be a good idea to make some notes beforehand so that the two of you can refer to them and use them to get to the meat of things a bit sooner. When you're up against the gun of insurance companies saying that you'll be cured in X visits (stupid!), this will help.

I had the same problem, and then I wanted to talk about what I wanted, not what he wanted. I think you will feel more comfortable with time. Writing things down that you might want to discuss is good advise from above posters. My questions seemed to bother my therapist, however. I assume she asks questions, so just try to make an attempt to answer them.

It's perfectly natural to feel okay when you go in there, even though you felt depressed two hours earlier. It's probably the adrenaline created by the situation, and the fact that she's still a stranger to you. Don't let that deter you. Think through what she's asking and try to make a connection from what she's asking to how you have felt all week, or all your life, which ever is pertinent. If all else fails, be honest with her and say, "I had a bad week" or "I felt really depressed this week." She will probably ask why, and instead of saying, "I don't know," try to think what happened that made you feel badly. Sometimes depression doesn't have a reason, and if that's the case, tell her. Depression can be caused by brain chemistry. Good luck.

DT-

Folks have offered, in my opinion, some pretty sound advice. (Write it out, give it a chance, focus on your goals, etc.) So, since they've got the advice aspect fairly well covered, I'll just offer encouragement. I think it's good that you've taken this step to feel better, and I hope it goes well for you. It's ok to feel reluctant to open up, and it's common to start to feel better in the days or hours before your appointment. Perhaps instead of discussing difficult problems, how would you feel about discussing goals?

Keep yer' stick on the ice; we're pulling for ya!

Okay, what I'm going to do is this week, I am going to carry a journal everywhere I go, whenever I feel sad or have an influx in moods, I'm going to write it down and log it with everything associated with the change and come next Friday I will review it with her, though it should be a good week, b/c I found out I get to go to Florida with my friends next week