Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you one of the million?

Default Are you one of the million?

As a PS3 owner, I found it interesting that Microsoft has ban/kicked a million users off Xbox Live (as reported on cnn.com). I'm not sure if it's for playing copied discs or for modding/ hacking the hardware inside the Xbox.

What's the real deal here? Are there that many people stealing games, or if it's a hardware issue, shouldn't you have a right to modify your own electronics, should you so choose?

What'cha think Xboxers?

It's because people are modding their Xbox's so they can rip games, or play them before they come out. As soon as the player logs on to XBL, Microsoft is able to tell and can seek this individuals out.

Seems pretty logical to me.

Copyrights, red tape, fine print, loopholes countered by loopholes, et cetera.

Personally I think that Microsoft is justified in their banning of modders, hackers, and thieves who are caught in the act. Given, it is the owner's own Xbox, but when they sign on to Xbox Live, they're using Microsoft's technology in Microsoft's domain. On Steam, people caught cheating or using mods in non-mod matches are instantly banned.

Furthermore, the only possible way that Microsoft could catch these people is if they were participating in Xbox live in the first place. Meaning, they're sharing stolen content on a secure network, giving the admins all the reason that they would need to ban them.

Normally I side with cybercriminals in many forms of debates, but those happen on the internet where there are no limits save your bandwidth and common sense. Xbox Live is Microsoft's brainchild; they're justified in defending it as they see fit.

As much as I hate Microsoft as an entity, I think you are both right, they do deserve to defend their network integrity and banning violators will do that. I'm not clear on the true issue at hand, I think.

Are the bans for modding their own systems, or for playing someone else's disc/hacked/cracked game on XBL? What happens if you borrow a game from a friend (or hell, rent from gamespy) and XBL kicks your ass for having duplicate #'s or whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Snap View Post
    Are the bans for modding their own systems, or for playing someone else's disc/hacked/cracked game on XBL? What happens if you borrow a game from a friend (or hell, rent from gamespy) and XBL kicks your ass for having duplicate #'s or whatever?
    The bans are for modding systems to gain illegal ends. They don't track the games but they can tell if someone has a ligit version of the firmware, so if you have hacked your firmware to run copied games and to skip that checking process your console, account, and gamertag will be flaged and banned by microsoft.

Considering the situation I think that Microsoft are being rather reasonable about it, at least for them. I mean, people can get their accounts transferred to a new 360 - it's the console that is banned, not the account.

Now if you are going to ban people that seems to actually be a relatively relaxed way to go about it. Okay, a new console is going to cost, but compared to what they could (and with x-box live being a fully microsoft thing they totally have a right to) have done it is pretty lenient.

I suppose this shows us not all of Microsoft are loonies. Just most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mzkkbprmt View Post
    Considering the situation I think that Microsoft are being rather reasonable about it, at least for them. I mean, people can get their accounts transferred to a new 360 - it's the console that is banned, not the account.

Now if you are going to ban people that seems to actually be a relatively relaxed way to go about it. Okay, a new console is going to cost, but compared to what they could (and with x-box live being a fully microsoft thing they totally have a right to) have done it is pretty lenient.

I suppose this shows us not all of Microsoft are loonies. Just most of them.
    I seriously think they would ban your live, it makes more sense than banning the console. They cant really do anything about it if you play offline, beside you can just reset the firmware with a backup removing any blocks they put on the console. So if they detect you going online with a modded console, they ban you from live. Theres nothing to stop you from playing offline though. (But they cant do shit on PC, halo 1 was fun that way )

Also they ban it on microsofts end so there is no way of getting back online without getting a new account and live...

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionxi1 View Post
    I seriously think they would ban your live, it makes more sense than banning the console. They cant really do anything about it if you play offline, beside you can just reset the firmware with a backup removing any blocks they put on the console. So if they detect you going online with a modded console, they ban you from live. Theres nothing to stop you from playing offline though. (But they cant do shit on PC, halo 1 was fun that way )

Also they ban it on microsofts end so there is no way of getting back online without getting a new account and live...
    The reason they most likely ban the consoles instead of the accounts is so people are forced to go spend $199 on another Xbox if they want to play on live again...

Little ollie

I'd be so pissed of if I was one of those eggbox users though I can blame microsoft at all for what they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Little ollie View Post
    I'd be so pissed of if I was one of those eggbox users though I can blame microsoft at all for what they did.
    I blame Microsoft for everything anyways so it doesn't affect me.