Thread: The Wall

PrisonerOfSociety

Default The Wall

Today, 20 years ago, one of the most influential events of the 20th century took place, a day which changed history forever, November 9, 1989, the Berlin wall came down.

The wall which separated Germany was being torn down, piece by piece, this wall, a wall which had made Germans prisoners in their own country was now being destroyed. At that moment the Communist regime, a regime which had taken the freedoms and lives of so many people was now starting to crumble in the form of a wall. This event marked a day in history, when the oppressed struck back at the oppressors and started to take down not only just a wall, but a wall that had been a symbol of divided Europe, oppression and the Cold War.

Many people died trying to cross the wall, today in Berlin and all over Germany they were remembered as well, it has been estimated that the death toll was well above 200 people.

I know I was born 2 years latter after this event happened, but when I first saw pictures and especially the more in depth videos, I felt something special I think. I felt a sense of happiness and joy, knowing that during this point in history, people stood up against one of the most powerful regimes in the world and although they didn't win that day they vowed they would come back and finish what had started. The persistence of the people there was amazing, I honestly wish I could have been there to see such a glorious thing!

Me being the defiant kind of person I am, it was very empowering to see this huge amount of defiance and I felt a sense of pride in humanity I had never felt before. Although I was not there, the empowerment I got from viewing this spectacle in historical footage was truly amazing.

Just think about it, only 20 years ago the Soviet Union was still in power controlling the lives of millions and millions of people and now, today they are no more.

It's amazing to see people uniting together and defying such huge super power!

Anything can be accomplished if people come together!

I just wanted to remind everyone of this important day in history which changed the lives of so many people across Germany, Europe and the world.

Feel free to post some stories any of you guys have about the wall, feelings about it, etc.

Post any links you feel are important for others to see and I can edit them into my post as well.

Check out the links below if you would like to learn more about this historical day.

These particular videos are very good, it's seen from the German perspective:

Part 1: YouTube - The opening of the Wall at Berlin Bornholmer Strasse 1989

Part 2: YouTube - The opening of the Berlin Wall 1989 / Reichstag (English Subtitles)

Berlin celebrates night that changed world - CNN.com

Autumn of Change: CNN stories marking the anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall - Special Reports from CNN.com

20th Anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall | Google

YouTube - Fall of the Berlin Wall: The moment the barriers came down

YouTube - Moments in History - The Fall of the Berlin Wall
    Last edited by PrisonerOfSociety; 10-Nov-2009 at 19:20. Reason: Took my post from Peachy's thread and added it into here

PrisonerOfSociety

Darn, I did a search too, just to be sure no one started this! Strange how that didn't come up. My first thread turns out to be a fail, oh well lol. I guess this can be merged or something.

Bravo to the youngsters for remembering. It is indeed an important event.

I was nearly 2 years old when it came down since I was born in mid November in 1987. So I couldn't recall watching it on TV though I am extremely glad it did come down. It wasn't right at all that one side of Berlin had to live under communist rule, while on the other side their friends and family were free.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I was nearly 2 years old when it came down since I was born in mid November in 1987. So I couldn't recall watching it on TV though I am extremely glad it did come down. It wasn't right at all that one side of Berlin had to live under communist rule, while on the other side their friends and family were free.
    I wasn't born yet when the Wall came down. But I have read about it and we talked about it in my history and current affairs class in school. I think it is a testament to the yearning of all peoples around the world to be able to live in freedom and democracy. We know speak of "heroes" today. Those who lost their lives in trying to cross into West Germany in the years the Wall was up are also truly heroes. It goes to show what humans who live in a repressive society will do to obtain their freedom. If there isn't a monument already built in Berlin to honor these men and women who lost their lives try to get to freedom, there should be.

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk View Post
    If there isn't a monument already built in Berlin to honor these men and women who lost their lives try to get to freedom, there should be.
    There is: Documentation Center Berlin Wall

Peachy

Seeing something on television or through other media channels is drastically different than living through it.

For instance, I know (intellectually) all sorts of things about the H-bomb and the Cold War. However, I never went through the terror of an air-raid warning or a nuclear fallout drill. My friend who HAS been through such things had lots to say on the subject that just isn't found in books nor available intellectually. These are experiential items.

This doesn't mean that we cannot learn from our history, just that there is a whole level of richness (and typically terror/horror/fear) that just doesn't come through unless you've been around for it. This is why it is particularly upsetting that the world has some folks who believe that the Holocaust never happened, and that it's manufactured for some evil end. It's upsetting because the people who were actually there are dying off in droves, leaving us without their experiential testimony in many cases.

"People are evil to each other when given license, expectation, and a role that permits it." This is true, but so superficially scratches the surface that it is a flimsy copy of the richness of terror that is experienced when reading direct reports--itself a flimsy copy for sitting in a room with, and listening to, a survivor.

There was a great deal more going on with and at the wall than just stone, mortar, and guns, but this is difficult to appropriately contextualize without it fitting in to your own life or lifetime.