Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Children Shows

Default Children Shows

There has something I noticed about them, they don't deal with everyday problems of young children such as Accidents and Bed wetting. You would think they would address something like that since I'm sure most of the kids that watch programs like Dora and Ni Hao Kilan or Barney had to of had an accident at least once

I'm guessing it's leaving that parents. Besides, I don't think most kids wanna think about their accidents when they could be having fun.

my problem with kids shows now is that there is no karma or anything. they do exactly what they are told not to and it still works out in their favour... I hate it. there is no NEMESIS!!!

but that is a good point. I figure it would be awkward talking about that on tv in a way that is both appropriate and understandable to their target audience.
    Last edited by Zephy; 09-Nov-2009 at 22:46.

Children's shows are supposed to make kids happy so they don't have to think about wetting themselves. Plus....ya gotta be on the watch out for pedos. If a kid wet himself on Barney or something, the parents may think "OMG PEDO BAIT WAHKEDJFLKAJ" and then sue the tv station...blah blah blah....... Yeah, better safe than sorry on TV, especially children's TV.

I found one Jenna's Bedtime Blues for Arthur its on Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by 1magus View Post
    I found one Jenna's Bedtime Blues for Arthur its on Youtube
    Oh yeah! I remember this! It got me interested in this whole...thing, I think.

YouTube - Jenna's Bedtime Blues 1 Here's part uno! :3 It's a nice episode, IMO.

Elli

There are parents who have questioned why there are no (of few?) episodes of children's programs approaching the subject of potty training, when there are ample episodes that feature and promote other life skills such as getting dressed.

I think the reason might be that accidents are very personal, even when depicted in cartoon form. It would be like adult programs showing leaking tampons and accidental ill-timed boners. It's taboo and private. We'd rather leave it out.

Also, the subject of accidents would ideally not be all that big a deal to young kids. Most children will experience the odd accident once or twice or more, but if it's dealt with kindly and effectively by the parents, there's no reason for the child to dwell on it. Other than reassurence of it being normal, there's no real educational value in including accidents in kid's TV. Perhaps a character going off to use the toilet is re-enforcing toilet training, but there's nothing to teach about accidents. There are plenty of programs that give the message to kids that they should keep trying and not give up when things go wrong, but is shown in a less taboo way, like a character falling off a bike and getting back up and trying again. I guess it's up to parents to teach their children about more private things.

And as others suggest, the TV channel would have to be very careful to be appropriate, which may be a risk to their reputation.

Interesting question though, it made me think about why some things are taboo while others aren't.

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by Wegs View Post
    I'm guessing it's leaving that parents. Besides, I don't think most kids wanna think about their accidents when they could be having fun.
    QFT. Most kids don't want to think about their problems when watching television; they really just want to have fun. There are some preschooler shows (the one that immediately comes to mind is Sesame Street) that have special episodes that focus on certain issues (i.e. potty training, manners, etc.), but most of the time, they keep their shows safe, fun, and (for the most part) educational.

Quote Originally Posted by NeiNei View Post

Haha it WAS a good episode! Arthur is bomb; I love that show!

Quote Originally Posted by Elli View Post
    There are parents who have questioned why there are no (of few?) episodes of children's programs approaching the subject of potty training, when there are ample episodes that feature and promote other life skills such as getting dressed.

I think the reason might be that accidents are very personal, even when depicted in cartoon form. It would be like adult programs showing leaking tampons and accidental ill-timed boners. It's taboo and private. We'd rather leave it out.

Also, the subject of accidents would ideally not be all that big a deal to young kids. Most children will experience the odd accident once or twice or more, but if it's dealt with kindly and effectively by the parents, there's no reason for the child to dwell on it. Other than reassurence of it being normal, there's no real educational value in including accidents in kid's TV. Perhaps a character going off to use the toilet is re-enforcing toilet training, but there's nothing to teach about accidents. There are plenty of programs that give the message to kids that they should keep trying and not give up when things go wrong, but is shown in a less taboo way, like a character falling off a bike and getting back up and trying again. I guess it's up to parents to teach their children about more private things.

And as others suggest, the TV channel would have to be very careful to be appropriate, which may be a risk to their reputation.

Interesting question though, it made me think about why some things are taboo while others aren't.
    Watch comedy central sometime they do have adult programs that talk about private tampon issues

Quote Originally Posted by NeiNei View Post

I forgot how much I loved this show when I was a kid (still do!) This is definitely one of those classic kids shows that should prove itself worthy against the test of time. Oh man now I want to get my hands on the box sets!