Thread: Laptop screen is failing...Help

Default Laptop screen is failing...Help

My laptop's screen is not working correctly. I turned it on today and half of the screen was showing nothing but jumbled colors. I've tried restarting it to see if that would help, it didn't. If it goes completely, I won't have a computer. I am doing everything with a half screen right now. My laptop is 3 years old, so what would be the use in sending it to get repaired. Either way I don't have money to get it fixed or get a new one. So anyone ever had this problem before? Or does anyone know if I can do anything, or is it done for?

Edit: This is what I am working with right now.
    http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy124/zeonboom/IMG_0216-1.jpg

Quickly back everything up.

If you have another monitor in the house plug it in and see if its just the laptops moniter thats having troubles. Things like this happen alot with laptops, especially if you have dropped it on the floor recently as my dad figured out the hard way.

Sadly I don't think theres anything you can do about it, if the monitor is damaged, its damaged. If its still covered under warranty you could get it replaced but other than that your going to need money to get it fixed.

If you got a old computer monitor you cloud plug it into the back of the laptop, that's my only suggestion so far. Mainly since I never really had a laptop of my own yet.

I had a similar issue on a Dell Precision M60, caused by a loose wire. I was lucky in that it was under the volume buttons, which are on a removable panel, so I could open that, and put the wire back in. It's unlikely to be the cause in your case, but it's worth checking if the alternative is throwing the laptop out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamaker View Post
    I had a similar issue on a Dell Precision M60, caused by a loose wire. I was lucky in that it was under the volume buttons, which are on a removable panel, so I could open that, and put the wire back in. It's unlikely to be the cause in your case, but it's worth checking if the alternative is throwing the laptop out.
    I second this.

Maybe if you can find the manual for your laptop, you can figure out how to unassemble it. Push the monitor cables back in and see if that fixes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamaker View Post
    I disassembled it after I tried restarting it to see if that worked. All of the cables were fine and in place. So I don't think it is the connections inside.

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionxi1 View Post
    Quickly back everything up.

If you have another monitor in the house plug it in and see if its just the laptops moniter thats having troubles. Things like this happen alot with laptops, especially if you have dropped it on the floor recently as my dad figured out the hard way.
    Luckily I don't have much stored on this laptop anyway. I have an external hard drive that I keep all of my stuff on. I did plug the monitor I had from my desktop that died last year into it. That will work for a temp fix at home, but It won't work for me if I want to take the laptop with me to school or work.

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionxi1 View Post
    Sadly I don't think theres anything you can do about it, if the monitor is damaged, its damaged. If its still covered under warranty you could get it replaced but other than that your going to need money to get it fixed.
    The laptop is 3 years old, and is no longer under warranty. I don't see the use in sending it to get repaired since it is that old. Maybe it is time to get a new one. But I don't have the money to do that right now.

pamperchu

just use an external display. make the laptop a desktop. ^__^

If you don't have this trouble on an external monitor then you are in luck it is not a motherboard or video card problem.

Often times FFC's go bad on laptops or get loose. These are the brown looking plastic ribbons "flat flexible cables". If you're good with a micro screwdriver then you could try taking off the trim and keyboard to get to the connector, unplugging it and plugging it back in should help things. If not it could be on the panel instead. Worst case scenario its the FFC's between the sub-controller on the panel and the LCD pane itself.

If it's been dropped or slammed then it could be between the sub controller and the LCD pane, the only fix would be to get a new LCD module (controller and LCD) either from eBay or one of my roomates used yallstore.com for an iPod screen but I'd say check them out before ordering (I know nothing about their business TBH). That site carries most of the current LCD panels on the market at a very good price.

Hope you figure something out.