Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woot, my hard drive disk is failing!

Default Woot, my hard drive disk is failing!

Recently I been having a bit of a computer issue.

For starters when ever I turn off/reset my computer windows is unable to boot up at all (yes even in the 4-5 different safe modes). The reason cited is:
    \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Here's some pictures to prove it. ::warning, massive photos, not for dial-up users::

Message - My Photo Gallery

anyways another problem is once I am able to reset my OS with the Gateway OEM disc and get into windows.. if I download a massive file say 2 gigs or anything over it won't work/boot at all. I suspect that's since certain areas of my hard disk drive are damaged or destroyed. Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2 won't start up since I suspect their data is being written on damaged parts of the drive. Left 4 Dead 2 demo starts but loading either of the two levels in it is really slow and causes me to lag online.

So anyone know of a way that I check check my hard drive to see if its really failing or not? Also my motherboard only takes IDE drives and those are getting pretty damn rare on newegg.

I think it is your hard drive. We get this at school with the same warnings. Not sure about your mother board, but you do have USB ports" Get a WD external storage devise, or something similar and save everything important. You may have to go into safe mode to do this, but it will work. Then get a new hard drive. Boot with your restore disk and follow prompts, because I believe your hard drive is going to crash and soon. Once it goes entirely, there will be little you can do to retrieve data.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I think it is your hard drive. We get this at school with the same warnings. Not sure about your mother board, but you do have USB ports" Get a WD external storage devise, or something similar and save everything important. You may have to go into safe mode to do this, but it will work. Then get a new hard drive. Boot with your restore disk and follow prompts, because I believe your hard drive is going to crash and soon. Once it goes entirely, there will be little you can do to retrieve data.
    I used my restore disc and it only worked when I picked the "destructive restore". So there's nothing on my drive worth saving that I can't do already.

So anyways once I get a new hard drive (looking at this one Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKB 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive... yes my motherboard is IDE only as sad as that is.)

just plug it in and run the recovery disc that I got from gateway and XP should be installed on it, right? Thanks for responding too. I hope to have this problem fixed by the 17th, since that's when my new computer game comes out and its been pre-ordered already.

Yeah unfortunetly that sounds like a hard drive failure as its basically saying that it cant find the configeration to run windows. Its one of the reasons why I run pretty much anything of real importance off of an external hard drive.

Dont feel bad, I recently had to put my 10 month old HP tower (Yes 10 months!) into where I bought it. Even though it is covered under warrenty and I got the usual "Oh we are so sorry, this shouldnt happen, its almost brand new" speech, they still had to send it away to be 'fixed' so the warrenty would remain intact.
    Last edited by LstNwf; 08-Nov-2009 at 03:23. Reason: I cant type >.>

Okay, my hard disk drive was the problem. I swapped in a old 80 gig one from my dad's computer and its running fine. I got the dying one set up as the slave to get all the stuff I needed off it. I currently got a 500 GB HDD (IDE) coming from newegg.

Thanks Dogboy. :P

Looks like you were the one on top of this Fire2box. Well done. We have these problems all the time in the computer labs. They have various ways of getting all our programs back on the drive. It takes a while as you know.

Today I got my new 500 gig Hard Disc Drive from newegg, I been running my PC off a old 80 gig Drive we had laying around the house. So I go and put the hard drive in the computer and it goes smoothly, more or less.

I set my computer back up on my desk and I plug everything back in, etc. I flip on the switch on the PSU and I blow out the outlet. My dad thinks it was trying to draw in too much power at once. Thankfully the only thing that broke was the outlet itself, the surge protector and computer stuff is fine. That said I am now transferring everything to my new hard drive disc and keeping the 80 gig as a backup drive.

I hate IDE drives now BTW. Not that they suck, they are pretty good, its just that they are sorta rare now. By the time I "build" my next PC SATA will be dying out too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Recently I been having a bit of a computer issue.

For starters when ever I turn off/reset my computer windows is unable to boot up at all (yes even in the 4-5 different safe modes). The reason cited is:
    \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Here's some pictures to prove it. ::warning, massive photos, not for dial-up users::

anyways another problem is once I am able to reset my OS with the Gateway OEM disc and get into windows.. if I download a massive file say 2 gigs or anything over it won't work/boot at all. I suspect that's since certain areas of my hard disk drive are damaged or destroyed. Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2 won't start up since I suspect their data is being written on damaged parts of the drive. Left 4 Dead 2 demo starts but loading either of the two levels in it is really slow and causes me to lag online.

So anyone know of a way that I check check my hard drive to see if its really failing or not? Also my motherboard only takes IDE drives and those are getting pretty damn rare on newegg.
    Yes unfortunately it seems your hard drive is more than likely dead with bad sectors. You can confirm this by using any linux distro livecd (such as Ubuntu), and running "badblocks" in a terminal;

[email protected]:- $ sudo badblocks -v /dev/sdX

and replace X with "a" or "b", if it's the only drive it will most likely be /dev/sda, or it could be /dev/hda if that doesn't work.

Good luck, and you could also try Microcenter or TigerDirect for comparable prices on IDE drives.

If you want you can get a SATA Controler card so you can use a SATA HD until you can get a new computer.

Newegg.com - PROMISE FastTrak TX2300 PCI SATA II Cost-effective Controllers Card - Controllers / RAID Cards

Quote Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
    If you want you can get a SATA Controler card so you can use a SATA HD until you can get a new computer.

Newegg.com - PROMISE FastTrak TX2300 PCI SATA II Cost-effective Controllers Card - Controllers / RAID Cards
    thanks but the problem has been solved for sometime. I only needed a new drive which I got/installed last friday or so.